Natalie Imbruglia - double pregnant and now birthing adult album Firebird - new TIMBRE + bright & breezy

Well I SUPPOSE I should be grateful for a third single. It’s a lovely song but can’t really see it winning anyone over who wasn’t by the last two ?!

So I had a new fridge being delivered and installed by Curry’s today so had Alexa play this so the house wasn’t in complete silence as they worked and as he was leaving one of the guys asked who it was and took a note of the album name so he could play it in his van. #promo #success

So I had a new fridge being delivered and installed by Curry’s today so had Alexa play this so the house wasn’t in complete silence as they worked and as he was leaving one of the guys asked who it was and took a note of the album name so he could play it in his van. #promo #success
YAY good work !

She made the top 10 and played a couple of well attended gigs with this record. She seems to be enjoying the experience so what more would people expect? It all feels a bit sneery with some of the comments at times and I’m not even an Imbruglia stan.

I was more making fun of what crap singles she's chosen from the actually pretty good album.

I've seen Alison is supporting Tears For Fears (or sorry, is their 'special guest') but didn't know Natalie was involved as well. Perhaps its just that festival, not the whole tour.

The other dates are arena ones though, and I'm over those for the most part. Alison is the only one of those who I'd make an effort to see each time, and she'll play smaller venues closer soon enough. I'll wait until then.

I didn't know they were touring together. Yeah Natalie's attendance is probably just for that festival. They've got a few decent nights on, Diana Ross is headling one, and I'm considering the Lionel Richie/TLC/Gloria Gaynor date too. The weekly pass would probably be good value but Lewis Capaldi is one of the nights :zombie:

I really must see Alison Moyet at some point. Does she play the hitz @lolly ?

She always has whenever I've seen her. Obviously various record company wrangles may have stopped her releasing actively over the years but she has consistently toured and remained a 'current' act, if a heritage one. Or to put it her way, she hasn't become her own tribute act. But even when she has been touring an album, the setlist has always been peppered with hits, if occasionally in new versions.

Check out the 'Minutes and Seconds Live' and 'The Other Live Collection' albums (both on Spotify at least) for edited setlists.

The two times I saw Alison it was mostly material from the new album at the time with a few hits chucked in at the end. Plenty of people expecting a hits show left halfway through. She was very good both times but I’m sure a “special guest” set will be hits laden.

If you’re a big fan of Invisible or Weak In The Presence of Beauty I’d definitely save your money, she hates them!

Well she's obviously touring a new album, but on the Minutes tour she also did Nobody's Diary, Ordinary Girl, Is This Love, Falling, Only You, This House, Love Resurrection, Situation, Whispering Your Name, Don't Go and All Cried Out. And on the Other tour she performed Wishing You Were Here, Nobody's Diary, Ski, Only You, The Man In The Wings, All Cried Out, Situation, Love Resurrection, Whispering Your Name and Don't Go. So I think that's a fair selection of hits and old album tracks in addition to the new material.

How can she NOT perform Invisible? :o
From an interview when she toured in 2017:

"I won't sing Invisible," she says. "I won't sing it because I don't like the language, I can't relate to the lyric and I don't like how it feels on my physically.

"People get upset about it because they think you're dissing their choices. But I can only liken it to your first boyfriend or something like that. This is someone who is a wonderful person, who deserves all the love in the world and you hope he's really happy somewhere ... you just never want to shag him again.

"This doesn't denounce the fact that somewhere that person really belongs. That's how I feel about some old songs. I'm not dissing anybody, it's just that I'm not intimate with them anymore. That doesn't mean to say they've become invalid ... it just means they don't touch me. If they touch you, brilliant. There's no shame in that. It's brilliant. Listen to the record. I ain't f***ing playing it".

From Wikipedia

Aware of Floy Joy's "Weak in the Presence of Beauty", Moyet chose to record the song for the album.[11] It was released as the second single from Raindancing in February 1987,[12] and was also the second and final single from the album in the States, where it was released in August that year.[13]

Moyet later revealed in 2004 that she only recorded the song as she knew it would be a hit single. Appearing on the This Morning show, Phillip Schofield asked Moyet why she disliked the song, to which she replied: "Oh, because I know how cynical I was being when I recorded it. I recorded it 'cause I knew it was a hit rather than the fact that I loved it, and that will teach me, you know? You have a massive hit with something you're not particularly fond of, and it's not a good feeling."[14]

Later speaking to The Quietus in 2013, Moyet elaborated: "What I must say is that it's sometimes very easy to sit there and rescind responsibility, but sometimes I couldn't be arsed. That's the truth of it. We can all make the right choices, but sometimes we're just too lazy to. And sometimes I was just too lazy to do it myself. "Love Letters" and "Weak in the Presence of Beauty" – neither song I enjoy now – they're both my fault. I found them. That was when I was feeling smart, thinking that I knew what a hit was - I don't know what's a fucking hit! But they were hits, and now I'm forever to fucking sing them years later!"[15] Speaking of both songs again in an interview with The Electricity Club, Moyet said: ""Love Letters" was me shooting myself in the foot! That was me being a show-off! That was me showing I had an A&R thing... "oh, I know what a hit is"! I did that twice, I did it with that and with "Weak in the Presence of Beauty"! Two times that I recorded songs knowing they were hits as opposed to the fact I loved them! I say that honestly, that's the only time I've ever recorded anything cynically!"

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I've finally given this album a good rinse. I wasn't really expecting much, I was a Left of the middle stan, I really WANTED to be a White Lilies Island stan but only really went hard on the singles, and Counting down the days was a bit of a non-starter at the time. So while I liked her, I allowed my fan card to expire.

But this is a lovely little listen :o I mean it's not all gold, but I don't think any of the songs particularly outstay their welcome. Much more uptempo than I thought, but the ballads are lovely too. This is sort of what I hoped Golden was going to be, it's got a heaped teaspoon of country in there. I love how committed her vocals, I guess co-writing everything gave her a stake in the emotion.

Am I crazy for thinking large parts of it feel like some sort of lost Nerina Pallot album? It might be the TIMBRE but the pacing of her vocals too.

Worth mentioning for those that don't follow the show/thread, she is 100% currently competing on The Masked Singer.

I've brought Firebird out in celebration and I'm really enjoying it. It's really bedded in nicely and it's just great to have a new album!

I wonder if she'll follow it up with something more quickly... It does seem like a bit of effort to get an album out there for her but you never know

I've brought Firebird out in celebration and I'm really enjoying it. It's really bedded in nicely and it's just great to have a new album!
I know I was so pleasantly surprised when she reappeared i genuinely thought she couldn’t be arsed anymore

I think they should just push Firebird more after she's revealed. Stick out Just Like The Old Times with a new video. She would get a few chat show spots no doubt. I should be her manager.

But then yes, a new album maybe early 2023. Do the festivals and a tour this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom