National Theatre Live Free Streaming

Any idea what yet then? Do keep us updated.

I’m almost running out of time for all this CONTENT :disco:

https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/the-encounter

STREAM BEGINS: 15 MAY, 7PM

National Geographic photographer Loren McIntyre, in 1969, became lost in a remote part of the Brazilian rainforest while searching for the Mayoruna people. His encounter was to test his perception of the world, bringing the limits of human consciousness into startling focus.

Threading scenes of his own life with details of McIntyre’s journey, Simon McBurney incorporates objects and sound effects into this solo performance to evoke the depths of the Amazon rainforest. The show’s ground-breaking binaural sound design (3D audio) by Olivier Award winner, Gareth Fry, is transmitted to the audience through headphones and plugs into the power of the imagination, questioning our perceptions of time and our own consciousness.

Audiences must wear headphones to watch The Encounter online to experience the effect of the show's binaural recording. Any headphones will work, but playing the film out of speakers will not give the same effect. It will be available to watch on demand for a week until 22 May.

The Encounter is a Complicité co-production with the Barbican, London, Edinburgh International Festival, Onassis Cultural Centre, Athens, Schaubühne, Berlin, Théâtre Vidy-Lausanne and Warwick Arts Centre. The Encounter online is supported by The Space. Bristol Old Vic is a partner venue for The Encounter.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Spellbinding

The Telegraph

What did y'all think of Treasure Island? @Sheena It missed the mark for me, all the actors were shouting the whole way through, it got annoying fast.

Oh God I felt exactly the same! I thought it was just me. I had to stop watching after 20 minutes. I felt like I was being shouted at incessantly.

Watching the Gillian Anderson A Streetcar Named Desire production from 2014 now. She’s excellent.

So glad this was shown as it was impossible to get tickets at the time.

Reactions: GNL
Do they keep them online or is it just a live stream?

I’m absolutely shattered, loved the first 45 minutes and then fell asleep, so I’ll catch up on catch up instead. But yes, she’s phenomenal.

I have a real fondness for Tennessee Williams, and for Streetcar especially. This had me weeping. Sort of glad I didn't see it in the theatre now, because nobody wants to be sat next to THAT.

Gillian is incredible. She even managed to rescue the dodgy "All About Eve" too. Lily James was *horrendous* in that.

I saw Streetcar in the theatre at the time, and it was genuinely SHIT THE BED AMAZING, possibly the best live theatre I’ve ever seen on account of Gillian’s performance - the woman was POSSESSED!

The scene where
Blanche is lead around the theatre in a state of complete mania to the soundtrack of PJ Harvey’s To Bring You My Love really is LIFE CHANGINGLY BRILLIANT/devastating

So happy it’s on youtube (for a week!) I never thought I’d get to see it again.

I watched it last night, it’s just unrelenting and 3 hours long. Vanessa Kirby as Stella was also outstanding, she broke my heart in her last scene.

I had heard tales of this production, didn’t know they bothered to film it

I had heard tales of this production, didn’t know they bothered to film it

I enjoyed it a lot. When I saw it both the lead actress and understudy for Big Mama were ill, so Kerry Fox was able to step in at the last minute, completely unrehearsed but with the script in hand for cues (she’d played the role in another production some years earlier). She was brilliant.

I had read that Sienna was awful so you probably dodged a bullet.

No, Sienna was still Maggie. I thought she was very good. The only issue I had with it at the time was setting it in present day, which didn’t quite work for me.

Literally the worst (professional) performance I’ve ever seen! I thought Sienna was so atrocious I was genuinely sweating with second hand embarrassment in my seat.

And I’d taken a friend with me who hadn’t read or seen the play before, and I’d raved about how it was one of the best plays ever. She wasn’t convinced. :D

Jack O’Connell’s cock and arse really were the only redeeming quality of the whole thing.

The West End production of Kinky Boots is being streamed for free* this weekend on YouTube. Apparently finishes 7pm tomorrow.

*please donate to a theatre charity of your choice

Just watched Kinky Boots. It’s a wonderful show, quite bittersweet though as I would’ve been performing in it in March.

Just watched Hansard and it was fucking amazing.
it’s a two hander and Lindsay Duncan is incredible.
Is set in 1988 about a Tory MP and his wife who arguing but is so funny but also very touching. So good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom