Ninth console generation (Xbox Series X and Playstation 5)

Witcher has a lot of quirks and humour; I'd say it looks more like Demon's Souls from the same showcase

again, I've not played many FF games but it has always intrigued me with its sprawling personalities and settings. I guess the franchise has a lot of very different directors?

I certainly has multiple directors, yeah.

I actually meant the TV series rather than the game re: The Witcher, sigh. But FFVII - FFXII certainly stood out one way or another, heck, even the 13 trilogy still had something going but right now it just looks like it's a fish in the ocean. It doesn't feel like there's anything really discernible about it anymore.

I'm pretty excited for a new FF world more than anything - I'm fully expecting the stuff in the trailer to only cover a small section of the game, I'm sure there'll be more diverse places to visit as the story progresses.

The big concern people seem to have from looking at comments online is the possibility that you only play as one character and there's no party. I'm hoping this is something we'll also see later - the way FFVII Remake handled character switching was pretty perfect for me, so I'd love them to just do that again.

The FFXVI director, Hiroshi Takai, hasn't done a FF before (his best known game is probably The Last Remnant) but he has worked on FFXI and FFXIV, and the director of FFXIV is a producer on this, so I'd expect something similar to that in terms of the world and writing.

The big concern people seem to have from looking at comments online is the possibility that you only play as one character and there's no party. I'm hoping this is something we'll also see later - the way FFVII Remake handled character switching was pretty perfect for me, so I'd love them to just do that again.
Yes this is my only concern so far! But the announcement has basically pushed me over the edge and I put in my PS5 pre-order this morning :disco:

Did Sony fuck this up in the last week? They seemed to be gliding along on top for the past year but now I'm not so sure. The prices are good but the announcement that the PS5 exclusives will, er, also be on PS4 has encouraged me to wait a year or maybe even a hardware revision before jumping in. I can't see the point right now.

I'm surprised they didn't attempt to counter Microsoft's payment plan or Gamepass in any way.

As for FFXIXIXIXIIII, it looked fine enough but sounded awful - what was that voice acting all about? I enjoyed FFXV, though instantly forgot most of it the second I was done with it (apart from shirtless Gladiolus of course). I'll give it a try some time after I've finally tried FFVIIR :D

As for FFXIXIXIXIIII, it looked fine enough but sounded awful - what was that voice acting all about?

It is still better than how FFXIV voice acting used to be before a ton of recasts. I think you'd get used to it quickly.

Didn’t they announce PS+ collection as a rival Gamepass?
Ah, I must have missed that in all the flurry of info. I quite like PS Now but it does seem to get a battering :D

I think this has just confirmed to me that this generation will have the slowest start. I'm not convinced Microsoft have got this right either, it just feels like their approaches are a lot more similar than I initially suspected.

The FFXVI director, Hiroshi Takai, hasn't done a FF before (his best known game is probably The Last Remnant) but he has worked on FFXI and FFXIV, and the director of FFXIV is a producer on this, so I'd expect something similar to that in terms of the world and writing.

It's why a lot of people are excited about it, the recent FFXIV expansions are reputedly some of the best stories and experiences in the entire FF series.

I'm liking the English voice acting too, hopefully a throwback to the superb writing of FFXII.

Didn’t they announce PS+ collection as a rival Gamepass?

No, they see Gamepass as something that isn't viable for their calibre of big budget games. However, they are offering a whole wadge of key PS4 titles with PSN+ for launch which is allowing anybody who missed out on this gen a real chance to catch up.

PSNow is their Gamepass, but it really hasn't got the share of voice Gamepass does.

I did appreciate the mournful violin version of the FFXII theme halfway into the FFXVI trailer though.

PSNow isn’t even available in Australia so I’ve never investigated!

@Tisch has the last laugh now Sony have revealed the PS5

Last edited:
Speaking of Witcher, my highest hopes is for CD Projekt Red. Their games are insane. If they develop a new Witcher title, it's going to be a very merry Christmas.

I just watched again and know what you mean now. That's the main theme of Final Fantasy. You'll get that somewhere throughout most of the games.

P.s. someone call me when Square Enix grabs Yuki Hayashi to compose the soundtrack for an upcoming Final Fantasy installment.

I appreciate the cat but this is the exact same game as the PS4 Spider-Man with some visual enhancement.

If I were to buy one of these, what should I get?

Maybe I’ll do a tisch and get a ps2 for lols

In a weak moment I looked up both to pre order, but couldn't find either anywhere :)

I guess I really out to wait rather than shelling out 1k to play 4k Rare Replay and Grav Rush 2.

I miss my PS2 truth be told.
There are still some properly decent games for PS2 that I either miss playing or never had a chance to play in the first place. I’m still desperately searching for King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 2 and I’ll happily bin off the PS4 for a bit if I manage to get my grubby paws on it.

It's quite funny that my original model PS3 from 2006 still has a place under my TV (since it can play the first three PS generations), but I can fully replace my PS4 with a PS5 since nearly all the games will work on it.

So, I'm basically seeing that the Series S has all the capability of the Series X, but at 1440p.

I could very well be swayed as that for being my machine. It has a lot going for it:

• Cheap
  • Tiny and beautiful design, unlike the functional bruiser Series X and the Seto Keiba PS5
  • Astonishingly good backwards compatibility - great for someone who skipped the PS4 era AND to relive old games. The upscaling of the dismal FF13 Xbox 360 port is a great case study, and apparently the newer platforms both double framerates on older titles at a system level - that means no patching.
  • Great pay monthly plan - something like £18pm for 2 years and you get Gamepass bundled.
  • Xbox build quality has been proven for a while now with quiet machines.
There are only a few negatives for me now:

• No VR plan - not even a sign of getting in on it yet. I would love to see if they went in on an agnostic solution - bring your own VR like Quest 2.
  • Wresting control away from Sony - even with a whole load of good will behind them, Sony are still running with the critical mass, despite them attracting bad news. While Sony have the edge, they get all the benefits from publishers.
  • Publishing credentials still yet to be flex - let's be frank MS's publishing went into hibernation around the mid-360 gen, they've bought a hell of a lot after getting the fright of their lives this gen, but we haven't seen what they're going to do with it.

I honestly thought collab whores Microsoft would have done a deal to let some other VR be compatible with their box.

given her recent glamtastic offerings I'm sad that it's not Miley rather than Lady G featured in Cyberpunk

imagine Midnight Sky blasting while zipping through Night City :disco:

Sony released a video showing off how the PS5's user interface works:

I quite like the cards telling you about your progress, that'll be useful for me as I seem to leave games then go back to them much later after I've forgotten what I was meant to be doing :tongueout:

I've decided to try and buy a PS5 on launch :shy: My justification is that I'll be able to get at least £100 for my PS4 that I can use as a discount, since I'll still be able to play all my PS4 games... Not that there are any preorders available just now, but I'm thinking it might be possible to get something in the week before launch.

Why the rush? You can get it a week or two after and by then some of the bugs will have been ironed out of the system and the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom