No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

this is a matter of fact, THE DESIRE YOU LACK... this is the way I guess it HAS TO BE!

Results are only viewable after voting.
All killer no filler really (aside from "Sparkle" with is just alright)

09 Settle Down
09 Looking Hot
09 One More Summer
09 Push and Shove
08 Easy
07 Gravity
08 Undercover
08 Undone
06 Sparkle
08 Heaven
08 Dreaming the Same Dream

HIYA

So I listened to this AND I listened to the follow up. This obviously has the biggys but a lot of the other songs merged in to one.

A solid 7.

No Doubt Top Ten:

1. Hella Good
2. Don't Speak
3. Simple Kind of Life
4. Bathwater
5. Underneath it All
6. Spiderwebs
7. Running
8. Don't Let Me Down
9. Making Out
10. One More Summer

"Push and Shove", "One More Summer", "Looking Hot" and "Settle Down" are all 10s after FURTHER CONSIDERATION. She can deliver a chorus like few other pop females. Too bad her last solo album material was so pedestrian/mediocre.

"Push and Shove", "One More Summer", "Looking Hot" and "Settle Down" are all 10s after FURTHER CONSIDERATION. She can deliver a chorus like few other pop females. Too bad her last solo album material was so pedestrian/mediocre.

I genuinely don't understand how she went from the edginess of No Doubt/first two solo albums to the MOR TAT she serves now

01. It's My Life
02. Just a Girl
03. Spiderwebs
04. Push & Shove
05. Don't Speak
06. Underneath It All
07. Bathwater
08. Sunday Morning
09. Easy
10. Trapped in a Box

her Christmas album is one of my faves of that genre :D the original songs are just lovely and her Silent Night is beautiful too.

Reactions: GNL
Ooh I do love "It's My Life". They really made that their own and it was the perfect single to accompany the greatest hits package. Arguably their best video too.

I genuinely don't understand how she went from the edginess of No Doubt/first two solo albums to the MOR TAT she serves now

Blake-Shelton-Gwen-Stefani-Grammy-Performance-1-1024x683.jpg

:eyes:

Rock Steady is my ND LP of choice but I adored the singles from the last album. Push and Shove was an odyssey

I always thought I'd be a mom

*runs down high street wearing a pillowcase/toiletroll veil*

Hella Good (making both Madge and Courtney Love forget about their weird jealous hatred of each other to be consumed with hate and jealousy for Gwen instead - we finally had a broader range of influences making the mind of a reigning pop queen tick)
New (I used to go a bit berserk dancing to this after school at the time :D And now I'm reminded of my crush on that Party of 5 guy that definitely had an expiry date)
Undercover (the Gwen goo here is unreal)
Spiderwebs (that that mess of a totp performance that looked like Pete Burns had Edward Scissors'd her trying to get that dress off her for himself, didn't kill it, but enhance it even more extreme, is a testament to what music buyers missed out on)
Just A Girl (pop song wise this is simply lightning in a bottle, which could also be the name of her hair dye)
Don't Let Me Down (that riff and chorus are total boners)
Gravity (oh Wow - we think you're really Cool)
Suspension Without Suspence (it sort of typifies how the mix of Saturn was a birrova mess as it almost veers off completely)
Sparkle (I can't believe this gem has got lost in the travels for some - perhaps in 2012 I just poured myself into those lovely lyrics)
Ex-Girlfriend (Gwen on TFI Friday was as alluring, alien and ridiculous as I could have dreamed of - I'll have to pop it on to see if it still causes it for me. I recall the "I'm about to give you away" posturing not handing over any fucks anyway)

Don't Speak can be an untouchable #11. What a pop culture moment to lure people in to the bat shit true prizes they had in store. That they never really tried to repeat it is actually kinda impressive as it sure must have been tempting.

goodness gracious what happened to her top lip?

1. New
2. Underneath It All
3. Spiderwebs
4. Just A Girl
5. Settle Down
6. Simple Kind Of Life
7. Bathwater
8. It's My Life
9. Looking Hot
10. Magic's In The Makeup

as for Gwen solo, I mostly listen to Early Winter and Rare these days :disco: what a pair of sultry bops

Oh Pipo don't tempt me. Derailing this thread even further :disco:

GWEN SOLO TOP TEN:

1. Cool
2. Early Winter
3. What You Waiting For?
4. South Side
5. 4 in the Morning
6. Luxurious
7. The Real Thing
8. Serious
9. Let Me Blow Ya Mind
10. Danger Zone

The weirdest thing about this album for me is that, despite it coming out in an era where I bought EVERYTHING and subsequently having seen and ignored it in hundreds of charity shops, and absolutely loving Just A Girl (11/10) and Don’t Speak (10/10), I have never actually heard it.

I never really got into No Doubt beyond the hits, but the singles from Return of Saturn were very underrated IMO. Simple Kind of Life in particular is up there with Gwen's very best ballads.

oh I can DEFS manage a solo Gwenny Gwen Gwen top 10

01. Cool (I mean WHAT ELSE?)
02. Wonderful Life (severely underrated)
03. What You Waiting For?
04. Early Winter
05. Luxurious
06. Used to Love You
07. Where Would I Be?
08. The Sweet Escape
09. Rare
10. You Make It Feel Like Christmas

and shoutouts to Truth, Flourescent, Bubble Pop Electric, Hollaback Girl, My Gift Is You, Make Me Like You and Misery. Let Me Blow Ya Mind would be in there but I can't count it as her song.

No "4 in the morning"? It has that LUSH atmosphere of her first solo record but it's quite a sad song really.

I like 4 in the Morning plenty but I find it quite melodically lightweight and a touch blandly produced compared to creamy richness of Early Morning. Some of the phrasing/fast singing on the chorus is a bit clunky too.

1. Early Winter
2. Hollaback Girl
3. What You Waiting For?
4. Danger Zone
5. Sweet Escape
6. Used To Love You
7. Misery
8. Cool
9. Make Me Like You
10. Luxurious

surprisingly effective ballad makeover of Just a Girl on Kellyoke - some of those high notes! :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom