Normani - Dopamine (Debut Album)

That is an expensive video. Like don’t love the song on first listen. I didn’t need Cardi’s comical contribution at all.

Fab video. The "we can't just keep talking about, we think too often about it..." hook is a grower after a couple listens. @Jark get in here

haven't watched the video YET but the song is quite brilliant and I see it becoming a big hit. a much stronger "lead single" (lead into what? :basil:) than Motivation.

This is corny from start to finish. The video will singlehandedly carry this song to the bank, cuz there's really nothing else to it.

Bring back schmaltzy power ballads plz.

Packaged as "empowerment" :zombie:

Sex sells, but Cardi is beginning to exhaust me. yeah, the women will always say that owning their sexuality is empowering but perpetuating the cliche of uber sexual black women seems to be the norm for them and at the end of the day the industry is ran by men, all these record producers, directors, choreographers, etc. all men.

listen I know I ain't no prude (I'm not going to heaven that's for sure) but seriously, we need a black female popstar that doesn't need to be oversexualized. It's annoying how her counterpart (the ever SHITE Camila Cabello) has a new song/video dropping next week and it'll be no doubt a relatable white bread experience of her being quirky and cute, wearing cute outfits while joining her equally boring ass white girlfriends. ugh.

Sex sells, but Cardi is beginning to exhaust me. yeah, the women will always say that owning their sexuality is empowering but perpetuating the cliche of uber sexual black women seems to be the norm for them and at the end of the day the industry is ran by men, all these record producers, directors, choreographers, etc. all men.

Even if the industry WAS entirely run by women, I still cringe whenever people call these songs "empowering". Have all the fun you want, but getting an ego-boost from your good looks and sexual prowess is not 'empowerment'.

Yeah but people, male or female, who don’t feel that confident in their looks might find it empowering to sing along to lyrics like that

I think sexualised songs and videos and performances can definitely be empowering. But I think Pipo raises an interesting point too re: industry expectations towards certain types of artists.

That’s true, and there are racial elements to what is expected of different singers, so I don’t want to downplay that.

but I do think that is can be empowering

That’s true, and there are racial elements to what is expected of different singers, so I don’t want to downplay that.

but I do think that is can be empowering
No I agree! I was more responding to what Kindacool said re: the notion that this is empowering being cringeworthy.

Reactions: RJN
The problem I have with labeling it as "empowerment" is that it's one-sided. What's 'empowering' to one person is ofte disempowering to many others.

Although, the Great and Wise Wendy Williams did once say "Harvard isn't for every girl".

I love when you girls had a nook-nosed anti-sexual empowering female as the #1 pop girl, you tore her down because she was too theatrical and not giving you enough buss. Well, be careful what you wish for.

I don't think there's any risk of Normani becoming the #1 pop girl :(

Sadly, because Motivation was a BANGER.

zzz at the sex discussion.

this is really an incredible song. I'm obsessed.

OMG the video is a VISUAL BUFFET. a total serve. the rooftop choreo and lewk!!! 🥺 ART.

Oh I LOVE THIS. Confused by people online expecting a big pop track, this is strictly RnB and clearly much more in her lane. I hope she carries on, continues to actually release music and carve out a niche in a similar vein - instead of reheating Ariana's leftovers (as much as I did like Motivation).

This scene from the video is just NEXT LEVEL, as is the twin scene:

I WILL SAY however, the pressure on her for this video must have been immense - and it does show in some of the set ups. The white set up towards the end in particular feels more like she's just trying to GET THROUGH THE CHOREO. They could have dropped that scenario and let the video (and Normani herself) breathe a bit more.

Also lol at this -

I CAN CONFIRM that at least a couple of days ago when I searched 'Normani' on YouTube the video didn't come up. I couldn't remember the name of the song, so had to go to Normani's YT profile and find it that way. I wonder how many people watched the Motivation video waiting for the Cardi B verse to come :D

Off topic, but YouTube's new way of only showing 12 results that relate directly to your search is the WORST THING EVER!

Last edited:
Also lol at this -

I CAN CONFIRM that at least a couple of days ago when I searched 'Normani' on YouTube the video didn't come up. I couldn't remember the name of the song, so had to go to Normani's YT profile and find it that way. I wonder how many people watched the Motivation video waiting for the Cardi B verse to come :D

Off topic, but YouTube's new way of only showing 12 results that relate directly to your search is the WORST THING EVER!

STOCKING PROBLEMS for the digital era.

This is exquisite (not sure it needed Cardi, Aaliyah wouldn’t have needed her!)

Normani has a really nice voice. I wish she could've showcased it more. But regardless, it's a good song to chill to.

And with a video like that, it'll be a waste if it doesn't go #1.

Just remembered that Normani did two REALLY GOOD pop songs with Calvin Harris, of which at least one of them (Checklist) could have been an actual proper hit had they done an iota of promotion around them...only for them to be thrown on Spotify and literaly never mentioned ever again! Wasn't this coming off the back of a slow burn SMASH HIT with Love Lies too?

What was all THAT about :D I cannot think of a current day star with a more bizarre career trajectory/release (non)plan.

Last edited:
Debuts at number 14 in the USA, which is a FANTASTIC result! I think it was predicted to go in at around 35ish, so not sure what bumped it up so high but I'm not complaining :disco:

No matter WHAT happens now, Normani has a very respectable peak for this track under her belt already :disco:

She's performing this at the VMAs :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom