Olivia Newton-John DEAD

:( :(

I didn't realise this was the second time it had returned.

Life can be so fucking unfair sometimes.

And how could I forget I Honestly Love You?

A song all about her delivery of it.

Magic remains absent which a fave of mine. Although there's a live version.
Yeah, I think her bits of the 'Xanadu' soundtrack are still not on there, but the ELO stuff is. Shame, because I love 'Magic' and also 'Dancin' and even 'Suspended In Time'.

:(
What an icon

The music from Grease is obviously great, but I'll submit THIS as one of her best, if not her best

She kept making bangers further into the 80s than she was always given credit for

'Recovery' from the 'Physical' album has always been a permanent fixture in my Olivia top ten. It was never a single, but I think that's why I loved it so much at the time. It was a hidden gem and the vocal harmonies towards the end of the song used to give me goosebumps and often still can. I can't play that tonight though. It's too soon.

Objectively I know it’s mawkish nonsense, but I do love a bit of dramatic mincing to SAM

For the pop stuff, aside from the obvious, Landslide absolutely bangs

This is a lovely selection of pictures...

She famously hated her Eurovision song. And, to be fair, it was shite.

She famously hated her Eurovision song. And, to be fair, it was shite.

Sandie Shaw famously hated hers too, and I don't know if Lulu hated hers but she probably should have done.

Reactions: VoR
Objectively I know it’s mawkish nonsense, but I do love a bit of dramatic mincing to SAM
That was the song I fell in love with. My poor parents, I played their copy of the single to death.

Despite (or perhaps because of) how ridiculous it gets, Grease is surely one of the most undeniable movies of all time - and its pop culture impact is ongoing. For shame I've never seen Xanadu, but she seemed sincere and absolutely lovely. My heart does go out to all her fans as there is no doubt she was an icon.

Bit shit though.

She was spot on - it was horrible (and yet she still managed to haul it 4th place)
I didn't realise that the 5 other songs she recorded for A Song For Europe are all on her 1974 album Long Live Love.

The title track was released in March 1974. Newton-John performed it at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest when she represented the UK. Along with the title track, five other tracks from the LP had been the six shortlisted songs for the UK selection for Eurovision, broadcast as A Song for Europe, 1974. The song that placed second, "Angel Eyes", was also released as the B-side of the "Long Live Love" single. (The other four songs were "Someday", "Loving You Ain't Easy", "Have Love, Will Travel", and "Hands Across the Sea).

The only of the others I know is Hands Across The Sea, but from what I didn't realise was a cover version by The Dooleys. And that's a load of mawkish old nonsense.

What a terrible week for legendary women of Australian pop :(

Of course I loved Grease growing up and had an Olivia GH (the excellent 2CD Gold) but it wasn’t until I met my ONJ superfan boyfriend that I discovered just how great her catalogue actually was, and I slowly collected almost all of it for myself. He participated in her cancer fundraising walk a few years ago and saw her from afar, it was one of the thrills of his life :D :(

Rest In Peace queen, I’m certain my household won’t be listening to any other artists for the next few days, at the very least

Fascinating reading the reports about her, than UK, Australia and US all seem to claim her.

WORLDWIDE QUEEN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom