Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
I guess everyone is too busy with Eurovision to notice this masterpiece album dropped today.

Olivia_Rodrigo_-_SOUR.png

Masterpiece is an exaggeration but it’s quite good and she stays on message (scorned young adult) for most of it.

I kind of got into the first single eventually, but it's been diminishing returns since for me. I particularly dislike the one that dropped this week. Haven't listened to the album, mind.

best track - deja vu :disco: (pop SOTY contender)
best album track - 1 step forward, 3 steps back (makes lovely use of the Tay Tay sample)
also feeling - brutal
not feeling - enough for you (acoustic garbage), happier (overwrought)
overall - hardly a Pure Heroine or Fearless-quality record, but shows promise as a debut

darling ALL I CARE ABOUT is miss deja vu going top 3 in the uk this week. I demand justice for this MAJOR POP SONG.

I've listened to the first half of it and my current thinking is that she's a SINGLES GIRL

Good thing the singles are all fab

I listened yesterday twice and I liked it all but I can't see myself coming back to the whole thing very often. Its a cliche to say it would have been more impactful if it came out when I was 17, but its TRUE

Traitor, Enough for You, and Happier are my initial favorite non-singles

I like Traitor and Brutal.

There are at least about 4 songs that sound exactly like driver's license :(

all 11 songs would have been top 30 (including five top 10s) if not for the UK chart rules :o

What were her sales to get to #1 in the UK?

51k, the biggest opening week of the year so far:

I thought this was a decent debut, very indebted to Lorde and Taylor Swift as everyone and their mum has already pointed out

The short length helps as it is a bit one note. I was losing interest by the end but Hope Ur OK is a great closer

Interested to see what the follow-up is like, and with the pace of her career so far I'm expecting it to be released in around 3 weeks

51k, the biggest opening week of the year so far:

Fucking HELL, I hadn't realised 'sales' were so awful now!

EDIT: Oh right, I meant for Good 4 U - 117k, which is much more like what I was expecting

This is dead good. Glad the proud tradition of Disney launching starlets with GUITAR POP lives on.

She's making a right joke of the singles chart with this album. The "3 songs per album" rule means that Drivers License was #6 last week but is out of the chart this week, having been replaced in streamers' affections by Traitor which is new in at #5. 3 songs in the top 5 is impressive, mind you.

Late to the party but I'm listening to the album and really enjoying it. I will definitely give it a few spins. I don't realise she'd been so BIG chart-wise in the UK, good for her

It is a very good album. I'm sure she'll suffer a backlash with the follow-up so I hope she just does whatever the hell she wants.

She won three Grammy's last night. Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album, and Best Pop Solo Performance (Driver's License).

6e0cff3c-1f72-4a35-a667-78b4a6618b94-AP_64th_Annual_Grammy_Awards_-_Press_Room.jpg

Happier Than Ever snubbed in favor of SOUR is a crime :kim:

It really isn't. I have both, I loved "When We All Fall Asleep..." and I would say "Sour" is the better album by a full horse's length.

SOUR kinda deserved - mostly because it was mostly written by Olive Oil and not by ha brother. :zsazsa:

not to pit two TALENTED YOUNG FEMALE SONGWRITERS against each other but, Olivia didn't do it by herself either hun, a so called Daniel Nigro (how do you pronounce THAT last name though?) helped Olivia co-write the whole album. Whilst I loved both albums you cannot possibly deny songs such as DNA, Oxytocin, I Didn't Change My Number or Happier Than Ever!

Last edited:
what rubbish am I reading in here tonight. Sour has some good songs and a couple of great ones but Happier Than Ever is an ALBUM and an EXPERIENCE and it washes the FLOOR with Olivia's effort! and that's fine!

Billie's album is better IMO but Olivia had the album of the year culturally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom