Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
Was there no thread for this? Well I've been catching up on my Pixar as you might have noticed - did anyone else see this?

For some reason this seemed like such an unappealing film - I guess it was the blue wimpy kid thing felt a bit too Trolls or Smurfs or Bronies or something. Stunt-casted as usual, with Tom Holland doing his usual frail but good kid schtick, and Chris Pratt as himself (which I guess is just replacement Jack Black?), Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer there too.

But I found it pretty decent - you know I've been getting annoyed by the same story being used to animated movies these days, but ... well this was hardly fresh as a daisy, but it didn't have the usual goodies vs baddies thing, there wasn't even a main antagonist besides the final plot device to make something climactic happen.

I guess it was biographical, since no animation writers seem to be able to avoid just thrashing out their childhood issues (and D&D hardons) in their screenplays, but it dealt with some themes I don't often see in the genre. And the ending was interesting - I think Pixar are actively trying to have a "YOU WILL CRY NOW" moment, which turns me off a bit these days (just let it happen), but something felt a little more subtle than usual.

Just because I watched it the same week, I noticed several parallels with Luca. This, too, was not gay because they're brothers, but the dynamic was similar. TBH I think Onward went a bit deeper than Luca, even if the sort of pseudo-Shrek world didn't have quite the same impact.

OUA7.gif

It was really nice, agree with everything you said and it was a nice touch that the audience don't get to see their father when he is revealed, and the reveal is done from a distance, it was more affecting that way. A shame it didn't perform so well at the box office, an early lockdown victim.

It was really nice, agree with everything you said and it was a nice touch that the audience don't get to see their father when he is revealed, and the reveal is done from a distance, it was more affecting that way. A shame it didn't perform so well at the box office, an early lockdown victim.

Yeah I can’t remember what came out when, so I was surprised this was kneecapped in the middle of its theatrical run just as it was starting

I thought it was one of the stronger Pixar films recntly.

Are almost all original Pixar films about a voyage of discovery for a child now? It's a shame as I can't see them making a film about an old man who refuses to leave his house, or a lonely space robot, any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom