Oscars 2020: Who's in the race?

What a bunch of boring safe nominations. The Farewell and Uncut Gems getting snubbed when shit like Ford V Ferrari and Joker gets in is stupid.

Oh J-Lo

tumblr_inline_o71dfpqzOU1sqclzs_500.gif

tumblr_inline_o71dfpIXpY1sqclzs_500.gif

I think the narrative was there. Did we really need Scarlett Johansson twice? Was Margot Robbie that good?

I’ve already seen the BP nominees, so here’s my ranking

1. Marriage Story

2. Little Women
3. Parasite

4. Irishman

5. OUATIH
6. 1917

7. Ford V Ferrari
8. Jojo Rabbit
9. Joker

I mean, if you're talking STRICTLY TALENT you could argue that a lot of them don't really deserve it... it's all BOUGHT ANYWAY. Within the currency of Hollywood and considering the buzz of the film and her perceived stardom, you could say that yes, she did.

I haven't watched the film, of course, but I've seen her in other films and she can give a performance as competent as many other people in that list.

oh i agree, it's hardly ever only about the talent rather a popularity contest.

no tears for lopez. maybe if she hadn't made all that rotten music the last few years i'd be more sympathetic.

I tried watching The Two Popes at the weekend. I'm just over halfway through but by fuck it's a SLOG. Jonathan Pryce and Anthony (*cough* overrated) Hopkins are just talking their way through a very dull screenplay. I'm baffled by the acclaim it has received.

It looks like A LOT of hard work. Not suite sure who it's meant to appeal to.

I watched it in the cinema and thought it was good East fun (when you overlook the fact that they’re running a pedophile network).

Here for the Jojo Rabbit nominations

Surprised the academy didn’t bite and nominate J Lo.

I liked JoJo Rabbit a lot, but ScarJo's performance was really nothing special.

J.Lo memorial actress roundtable. :( (Also featuring Renee, Laura Dern, Lupita, ScarJo and Awkwafina)

I also noticed she’s on the front of Vanity Fair’s annual Hollywood issue. Imagine the SHAME of being in all the media lovingly prepared for the Oscars and not getting nominated :D

She must be absolutely gutted.

The actress roundtable was nice, a bit more subdued than these things sometimes are but they all seemed very into everything JLo and Renee had to say. JLo absolutely radiates charisma, it's insane - even these A-list actresses seem to feel like "shit, I'm in the presence of a superstar"

The Oscars are really showing their asses. This year has helped me to understand how parochial the competition really is. The nominations aren't even controversial as such, they're just boring and short-sighted. There's always very little reference to the films that have excited and enthralled me, so I think this is the year that I finally tune out.

The Oscars are really showing their asses. This year has helped me to understand how parochial the competition really is. The nominations aren't even controversial as such, they're just boring and short-sighted. There's always very little reference to the films that have excited and enthralled me, so I think this is the year that I finally tune out.

Take them for what they are - a big PR exercise. Pick and choose the films that interest you from their list and then spend the time you'll save NOT WATCHING crap like Green Book watching films that speak to you instead.

this is where i'm at with all award shows lately. i like to know what's happening so, of course, i follow them but, like peekaboo says, it's become pretty blatant what they are about.

i was looking at the grammy nominations the other day and they are so insipid and lazy and knee-jerk that i couldn't even bring myself to comment on them anymore. they are embarrassing and have increasingly less to do with quality.

i think the emmys are the ones i have the most respect for these days.

I haven't cared about the Oscars for years. Other than the GOWNS, who cares?

Even if you look at it as one big cynical marketing exercise (which, of course it is!) it isn’t even fit for purpose on that level. With so much hand-wringing over the ratings, it doesn’t even make good business sense to snub J.Lo (or Awkwafina and Lupita for that matter...)

They really need to revamp their membership and go much further to introduce new blood.

One thing that’s increasingly clear is that it’s just a total old buddies club. Wonderful actress though she is, that’s the only explanation for Kathy Bates getting in. Richard Jewell is a film that got mixed reviews at best and it totally tanked at the Box Office. But she’s been around for decades, she’s probably worked with half the voters at one time or another and by all accounts she’s a lovely person, so of course she made the Ballot...

I think the year where Moonlight won and the big Best Picture error and to a lesser degree the years before and after it (Mad Max and Ex Machina winning a lot in 2015 and the fish fucking movie in 2017) gave the illusion that the academy is embracing more exciting movies. But then last year and this year it’s just the same old boring shit.

I think you're seeing more erratic Best Picture winners like Moonlight or Green Book in the last 10 years or so because the Best Picture category is now between 8-10 films, so the votes get spread out a lot more, allowing for dark horses to win. All the other categories limited to 5 nominees are still very conservative in their wins, I'd say.

Also the preferential ballot where the ranking of the best picture nominees plays a part is another reason.

for me j-lo not getting nominated (i don't buy the snub narrative) is one of the few instances where the academy has shown integrity rather than commercial calculation.

why it nominated kathy bates (and say nominates meryl for every other thing she's in) is another conversation.

ps i also thought lupita's acting was a choice (with a capital oi) in us so for me her not being nominated also makes sense. haven't seen awkwafina's performance, so can't really say anything about her other than "i'm so sorry someone chose to name you that".

It’s not her Baptismal name babes :D

She started as a YouTube personality before succesfully crossing over to film. She’s great, and very endearing.

But regardless, my point is that she, Lupita, J.Lo etc would bring in a younger/broader viewing audience. Who outside a small cadre of nerds is that excited to know if Laura Dern will finally snatch a trophy? (I say that with total, but realistic love and respect for Laura Dern)

for me j-lo not getting nominated (i don't buy the snub narrative) is one of the few instances where the academy has shown integrity rather than commercial calculation.

why it nominated kathy bates (and say nominates meryl for every other thing she's in) is another conversation.

we can all like/dislike performances but I wouldn’t say not nominating J. Lo is a sign of integrity. She’s as worthy as any of the nominated actresses, it’s just that the academy seems to only want to nominate women of color when they’re tragic figures (preferably maids, slaves or poor/abused) and J. Lo’s character in Hustlers does not fit that despite it being a very good performance (imo) that ticks all the boxes that should get her a nomination (which include PR).

I fail to understand how Antonio Banderas is an "actor of color". I mean, a British actor isn't and a Spanish one is, being both Caucasian? Is it because of the language? Would a French actor be consider of color? I don't get it. And neither in this country, there's some polemic about that.

I fail to understand how Antonio Banderas is an "actor of color". I mean, a British actor isn't and a Spanish one is, being both Caucasian? Is it because of the language? Would a French actor be consider of color? I don't get it. And neither in this country, there's some polemic about that.

It’s an American thing, they’re not very bright.

we can all like/dislike performances but I wouldn’t say not nominating J. Lo is a sign of integrity. She’s as worthy as any of the nominated actresses, it’s just that the academy seems to only want to nominate women of color when they’re tragic figures (preferably maids, slaves or poor/abused) and J. Lo’s character in Hustlers does not fit that despite it being a very good performance (imo) that ticks all the boxes that should get her a nomination (which include PR).

i consider choosing standards over ratings to be a demonstration of integrity. lopez is a flashier nomination than most and they still didn't nominate her. they question is if standards are the reason why or if it's elitism, resentment, thinking she hasn't paid her dues or just not liking her. racism is among the last possibilities i would imagine.

i haven't seen hustlers yet but from the trailer and scenes i've seen online - the movie looks shit (i don't care what it made at the box office) and her performance looks ok. one of the top performances of the year though?

We live in a world where KIM BASINGER has an Oscar. Nobody’s saying J.Lo’s given a thespian performance for the ages, but it’s hardly as though it’d represent some kind of new low for the Academy’s credibility. Far from it.

As Phoenix mentions she did everything required and then some, plus it would’ve been good for the show to have her in the mix in a number of ways (star power, diversity, and yes, merit. Nobody will remember Kathy Bates’ performance 3 months from now, let alone 3 years).

Obviously Mimi put a word in.

But it does feel off for J Lo to miss out when she had been doing so well in this award season.

Obviously Mimi put a word in.

I had a whole Tweet ready to go about Mariah phoning up all the other competitors and offering to accept on their behalf as soon as J.Lo’s nomination was confirmed. WASTED. :(

Reactions: SDF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom