Parasite

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

Winner of this year’s Palm D’or by director Bong Joon Hon (Snowpiercer, Okja etc...) about a family of cons and the rich family they’re using.

I went in not knowing anything and it was such delight and the house that they’re shooting in is amazing. It goes bananas eventually and I thought the last scene was not needed but a truly great movie. Probably the Best Foreign Film Oscar winner and possibly going to get nominated for best picture.

this is opening here soon, can't wait to watch it!

Oh I did see it in the end. I enjoyed it even though I struggled a little bit in the beginning with the succession of unlikely events happening. But then it goes full on batshit crazy and you enjoy it for what it is, good entertainment.

I wasn't sure how to approach this movie because I hate poor people.

But I'm glad I endured the plebian commentary, because it's a fantastic film.

See it now before Coronavirus sees you.

I still haven't got around to it. I've been busy IDLING

FANTASTIC, and definitely worth watching with no context for what's going to happen.

I also thought the end was a bit too neat, but other than that it was one of the best films of this season, by far.

Slow, heavy-handed and *hugely* overrated, but highly watchable. It reminded me a bit of “Us”, which I felt the same about.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's way too overrated. I enjoyed it when I watched it but that's about it really.

LOVED THIS!

The daughter was semi-iconic at points, I wish they'd fleshed her out a bit more. The cigarette on the loo :disco: That whole series of flooding scenes was amazing.I LOVED the rich wife randomly being asleep at points :D
Anyway brilliant, and a super cinema watch - especially if you go in blind.
The very very last scene I think was unnecessary though, I'd have preferred it to end with the hug in the house.
I also think the death of the rich husband by the Dad was a bit RANDOM too. The rich dad was generally quite a good guy, and the motivation to randomly MURDER him was quite weak - would have worked better and not changed the film too much had the rich dad been a complete arsehole.
Anyway loved it, definitely his best film. Not quite up there with my Park Chan Wook faves, but quite frankly WHAT IS!

Oh I think it worked MUCH better that the rich family weren't evil. As the mum says at one point, their extreme wealth and privilege has essentially flattened out their empathy, so they're more cluelessly arrogant and insensitive than openly cruel. The main family's dad reaching breaking point at the end totally worked for me. His self esteem has been chipped away at throughout the film, particularly in the scenes about his body odour which were so subtly humiliating. Then he's literally watching his daughter bleed to death, and the rich dad doesn't even care. Of course he snapped.

Oh I think it worked MUCH better that the rich family weren't evil. As the mum says at one point, their extreme wealth and privilege has essentially flattened out their empathy, so they're more cluelessly arrogant and insensitive than openly cruel. The main family's dad reaching breaking point at the end totally worked for me. His self esteem has been chipped away at throughout the film, particularly in the scenes about his body odour which were so subtly humiliating. Then he's literally watching his daughter bleed to death, and the rich dad doesn't even care. Of course he snapped.

Oh this makes A LOT OF SENSE in retrospect. I do still think the Dad stabbing the rich Dad to death in front of his entire family was a BIT of an extreme reaction however :D

i also don’t recall that quote from the Mum - it must have been when I dashed out to empty my bladder which is TYPICAL :D

I’m not using spoilers cos frankly if you haven’t seen it why are you reading the thread?

I thought this absolutely astonishingly good. I don’t think it was heavy-handed AT ALL - go watch an episode of Chibnall’s Doctor Who for heavy-handed. They managed to do the social commentary but it was absolutely secondary to the story - which was original and beautifully told.

If I’d have been writing/directing it myself I’d have ended the story at the garden party and have both the brother and sister die. It felt to me Shakespearean in its levels of tragedy - and wholly appropriate for what the characters had been through. I didn’t need/want to know what happened next as the message was clear - this level of disparity of wealth caused tragedy for everyone involved. But that’s just personal preference.

VOR is spot on re: the rich family being fundamentally good people, and that being the right choice from a writing perspective. It made the drama so much more powerful that they were not ‘evil’ and that the poorer family were absolutely flawed - their treatment of the other housekeeper in particular was pretty horrendous. It just made the characters so much more real and 3-dimensional.

An easy 10/10 for me and I can’t remember the last time I gave one for a movie.

See it now before Coronavirus sees you.

Well QUITE...

Anyway sorry for the bump but I just watched this tonight for the first time and loved it.

Literally went in completely cold and so I spent the first half thinking how sweet and refreshing it was that such a well done, but totally traditional farce had gained so much recognition.

Then of course it went completely nuts and I was hooked throughout. I agree that I could maybe have done without the epilogue as it did go on a bit and got ever so slightly plot-holey, but they earned it.

Totally agree that it was much more interesting having the family be fundamentally likeable - the points could still be made and when the husband was murdered it felt less of an obvious way to go as a result.

But yes - wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom