Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For me its flawless, though it's taken me some time to get to that. I was too young for it at the time, I think, and I missed the "fun" Pet Shop Boys I'd known and loved before. I rediscovered it around university time and never looked back, though its actually only in the last few years I've realised it's a total 10/10 as an album, more than the sum of its individual parts maybe. Still not their finest hour, but...

Being Boring- 11
This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave- 10
To Face The Truth- 9
How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?- 8
Only The Wind- 9
My October Symphony- 10
So Hard- 10
Nervously- 8
The End Of The World- 9
Jealousy- 10

I have never heard it, but it's not my favourite PSB era. Will give it a go now.

Oh I love it more than almost anything. My university friends brought it for me on vinyl for my 20th birthday and I was in a right GLOOMY mood because everyone else was HAVING A GIRLFRIEND and I didn't want a GIRLFRIEND, or a BOYFRIEND for that matter, I just wanted to have a bit of FUN and DRINKING and DANCING, so it SUITED PERFECTLY.

It still astounds me to this day they left "Jealousy" as long as they did before bothering with it...

Simply outstanding. I've got them on random play at the moment and was treated to My October Symphony during my rainy walk this morning.

A clear 10, and one of their 3 all-time best alongside Actually and Very

In my view you could choose any of their pre-Nightlife albums (plus maybe even Electric) to put into a PSB trinity and it would be flawless

The only album of theirs I would rate below 9/10 is Elysium

It really was my PSB PEAK around 1990

All those 12" singles

BEING BORING MARSHALL JEFFERSON REMIX

IT MUST BE OBVIOUS

WE...ALL...FEEL BETTER...IN THE DARK

"I''m always HOPING
You'll be FAITHFUL
But you're NOT I SUPPOSE"

U2 meet THE BOYS TOWN GANG

BET SHE'S NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND ("I'm kind of SHY and DRY and VERGING ON UGLY")

The SEMI-MYTHICAL NINE-MINUTE version of THIS MUST BE THE PLACE I WAITED YEARS TO LEAVE

"DO YOU HAVE A MESSAGE FOR YOUR FANS?"

The "I'm sorry" at the end of ONLY THE WIND

"Nervously" being the GAYEST SONG EVER since "Later Tonight"

Declaiming Shakespeare on the extended version of JEALOUSY just like LIZA on "If There Was Love"

DJ CULTURE "Like Liz before Betty, She after Sean, suddenly you're missing and then you're reborn"

DJ CultuRemix

MUSIC FOR BOYS oh YEAH

MISERABLISM

So many MOMENTS

Darling I think that needs a :disco: or two to make it look a bit less like a SUICIDE NOTE

Although I grant you that life is an IMPOSSIBLE SCHEME and love - an IMPERCEPTIBLE DREAM :smoking::(:disco:

I LOVE THIS ALBUM :(

I'm a bit drunk and can't be bothered to check the lyrics so fingers crossed

1,111 Being Boring - The greatest song ever. :disco::(:smoking::bruised::tigerclaw: ALL AT THE SAME TIME
10 This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave - "Each morning, after Sunblest" :D:( And that's the first time I've ever heard the MAXI VERSION!
10 To Face The Truth
08 How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?
10 Only The Wind
10 My October Symphony - "So we're all drinking as leaves fall to the ground..." :(
10 So Hard - "I DOUBLE CROSS you and YOU get MYSTERIOUS MAIL." Oh the heady, thrilling days of ACTUAL POST. Oh LOOK is that for ME? :disco:
10 Nervously - "Right from the start I APPROVED OF YOU" :horny:
10 The End Of The World
10 Jealousy - "YOU DIDN'T PHONE WHEN YOU SAID YOU WOULD" :grr: (RIP)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really pile any more superlatives to this masterpiece so I'll mention that the FLOW of the album is FLAWLESS for me. Nothing is out of place and the bpm of each song is timed just PERFECT.

So yeah, I totally love it. I was familiar with most of it already, but together it really is a stunning piece.

For some reason, this was the first PSBs album I didn't buy at the time. Oh no, hang on, that's not true, my sister bought Introspective before I could so I didn't have to...I didn't get it until scoring the 2CD edition for £5 in Fopp because the card oversleeve was coming apart. What a chump I was to pass on this at the time. What an actual chump.

I can't really pile any more superlatives to this masterpiece so I'll mention that the FLOW of the album is FLAWLESS for me. Nothing is out of place and the bpm of each song is timed just PERFECT.

It really is the most perfect LP, with each side being 5 tracks which fit together perfectly. The quiet ending of Only The Wind and then turning it over to start with My October Symphony. And I'm sure it was the first LP I owned there the inside of the front sleeve was anything other than standard cardboard grey.

What I would give to hear Liza singing To Face The Truth though.

The new PSB leading to my current PSB obsession has led to this this evening and I’ve had to put my book down on at least three occasions to stop and just listen to the music and lyrics. It’s just beautiful.

I lie alone, the clock strikes three
And anyone who wanted to could contact me…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom