Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (album and singles 2019/2020)

Liking this on first listen, although parts of it struck me as a bit VAPID by their standards.

Some really good stuff on the album. I know they keep banging on about a trilogy but I agree that this feels different and ..more classic PSB than the previous two albums, which were much of a muchness.

They basically did the video again on The One Show and it went quite well, though I assume the dancer wasn't meant to get lamped at the end:

I note that the riff in this one is an (ahem) HOMAGE to ‘Wordy Rappinghood’ :side-eye::disco:

I had a flicky through the album and it sounds QUITE GOOD! Even (or especially) ‘Wedding In Berlin’!

I know it's early days, but this album is already in my Top 5 PSB albums. It has everything that a classic PSB album should have. Completely in love with it!

Omg I love this album! It has a degree of LIFE to it like the previous two, but much more depth of lyric.

Willow The Wisp is an instant PSB classic - the first few tracks are a great opening run tbh (reminds me of the Nightlife album before it falls off a cliff quality-wise).

Will-o-the-Wisp is such a statement of intent. They've talked about the analogue synths used, and they sound SO GOOD on this album.

Only the Dark is so dreamy and Italo. It could be a Sally Shapiro song.

1 Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (12.5k)
2 J Hus - Big Conspiracy (9.3k)
3 Eminem - Music to Be Murdered By (6.2k)
4 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (6.0k)
5 M Huncho - Huncholini the 1st (5.9k)

Looks like it'll end up at #3 or #4 by the end of the week. Their lead is too slender.

Weren’t all copies ordered from their site supposed to come signed or was that just my imagination (ONCE AGAIN). Cause mine ain’t.

There's some hoohah on the loon forum where you got a SIGNED ART PRINT if you ordered one of the first something limited editions and SOME OF THEM HAVEN'T BEEN SIGNED WITH THE UTMOST CAREFUL ATTENTION :eyes:

I think one of my friends is on that forum. I heard he'd HAD A TURN at the weekend, and can WELL IMAGINE THAT CAUSED IT.

I’m not REALLY that bothered, but I was buying the 2cd version for NO APPARENT REASON, so thought I may as well check.

I’m listening to the vinyl version of Actually that case from a different source in the same post today ANYWAY

I bought the two disc from HMV despite knowing full well that the instrumentals have minimal chance of ever reaching my ears. I see the one CD is £8 on Amazon again today.

As much as I want the second instrumental disc, for a band with so many b-sides etc, couldn’t they have chucked even one exclusive track on the deluxe edition?

As much as I want the second instrumental disc, for a band with so many b-sides etc, couldn’t they have chucked even one exclusive track on the deluxe edition?

I'd have been QUITE PLEASED with An Open Mind bunged on.

They said in the interview with Lauren Laverne that the instrumentals were meant for Japan but the Japanese decided they didn't want them, hence them being released over here.

I'd have been QUITE PLEASED with An Open Mind bunged on.

They said in the interview with Lauren Laverne that the instrumentals were meant for Japan but the Japanese decided they didn't want them, hence them being released over here.

Obviously they skipped the option of not releasing them at all :side-eye:

And QUITE on the ‘An Open Mind’ front!

Today’s midweeks

1 Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (13.5k)
2 J Hus - Big Conspiracy (11.9k)
3 Eminem - Music to Be Murdered By (8.4k)
4 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (7.7k)
5 M Huncho - Huncholini the 1st (7.2k)

They probably won't be no.1 then. At least they don't have to face the indignity of a 30 place drop from the top.

Latest midweeks:

1 J Hus - Big Conspiracy (14.9k)
2 Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (14.6k)
3 Eminem - Music to Be Murdered By (11.5k)
4 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (10.1k)
5 M Huncho - Huncholini the 1st (8.6k)

I bought a copy of the PSB album to help sales (and also it does sound quite good) and it turned up broken :(

Is that likely enough of a gap for number two even with a bit of extra streaming to be added?

Today’s midweeks

1 J Hus - Big Conspiracy (17.7k)
2 Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (15.3k)
3 Eminem - Music to Be Murdered By (13.5k)
4 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (11.9k)
5 M Huncho - Huncholini the 1st (10.0k)

Today’s midweeks

1 J Hus - Big Conspiracy (17.7k)
2 Pet Shop Boys - Hotspot (15.3k)
3 Eminem - Music to Be Murdered By (13.5k)
4 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (11.9k)
5 M Huncho - Huncholini the 1st (10.0k)

Eminem is going to catch them isn't he?

Never mind, the album is so much better than could have been expected. What are we thinking for next (last?) single? As much of a stormer it is, I can't imagine them going with Will-o-the-Wisp... maybe I Don't Wanna or Happy People.

For some reason, the sheer MISERY of certain Elysium tracks are sounding quite GLORIOUS today :D

I mean Leaving and Invisible were always some of their best of recent years, but being STUCK INDOORS ON A SUNNY SPRING DAY seems to fit the mood of this grumpy little bitch of an album very well :D

Interesting interview about their remixes here - https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/...pet-shop-boys-decide-who-remixes-their-songs/

Although it's only really their OWN maxi-mixes, or that amazing Tocadisco mix of Minimal that I can remember being any good recently-ish off the top of my head :D

Also NOT THAT IT MATTERS AT ALL, but interesting to see I Don't Wanna is the fourth (final?) single from Hotspot, when Willow The Wisp is sitting RIGHT THERE. It reminds me of when they stubbornly refused to release Integral, even though it was prime PSB and sitting RIGHT THERE! :argh:

Interesting interview about their remixes here - https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/...pet-shop-boys-decide-who-remixes-their-songs/

Although it's only really their OWN maxi-mixes, or that amazing Tocadisco mix of Minimal that I can remember being any good recently-ish off the top of my head :D

Also NOT THAT IT MATTERS AT ALL, but interesting to see I Don't Wanna is the fourth (final?) single from Hotspot, when Willow The Wisp is sitting RIGHT THERE. It reminds me of when they stubbornly refused to release Integral, even though it was prime PSB and sitting RIGHT THERE! :argh:

It does sound from the end of that interview that another single is most likely on the cards , though they will probably pass it over again.

Interesting (or worrying depending on your view of the song) to read that Burning the Heather was originally being held back as the key song for the next album.

A perky instrumental and vocal track from the My Beautiful Launderette EP:

You know, a Further Listening for this album would actually be REALLY GOOD

I can't find a Release-specific thread, so I'm just going to use this one as a general PSB MIND-DUMP!

I do love Between Two Islands from the Release sessions. I wish it had been on the album properly, it would have been a much-needed slice of LIGHT RELIEF

I also think with a bit more work it to carve the chorus out a bit more, it would have made a truly beautiful single.

Unpopular opinion: Release is one of their most beautiful albums. I utterly adore it. I don’t think that an album like that should ever feel it needs “a lift”, but we know that "I Didn't Get Where I Am Today" was on the album until almost the last minute, and it’s quite upbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom