Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
I've never gotten on with Russell T Davies writing style so I'll be avoiding the show, but this is of course one of the greatest pop singles ever written.

Relentless .
All love it love it live the way it builds and builds the hi nrg intro and then explodes in while poor Neil is trying to tap his leg in rhythm unsuccessfully

Reactions: VoR
Amazing song. Maybe not my favorite, but I think it is their best song. Interesting topic for a song (like many of theirs)

Their best single for me is Can You Forgive Her, but it isn't quite as mainstream-iconic

She's made YOU
Some kind of LAUGHING STOCK
Because you DANCE to DISCO
And you don't like ROCK

:disco:

Their best single for me is Can You Forgive Her, but it isn't quite as mainstream-iconic

She's made YOU
Some kind of LAUGHING STOCK
Because you DANCE to DISCO
And you don't like ROCK

:disco:

omg my fave too :disco: 200000000000/10

I THINK So Hard is my favorite from them, but its hard to decide

Being Boring (EXTENDED VERSION) will always have to be my favourite - as obvious a choice that is, I relate to it more and more as I grow older.
Jealousy follows VERY CLOSELY, again in the fabulous extended version. Both videos for those songs are of course FABULOUS TOO.

But It's A Sin is absolutely essential. "When I look back upon my life, it's always with a sense of shame..." is possibly my favourite lyric ever.
The Tate Modern did a thing a couple of years ago where they played every single part of Its A Sin bit by bit, slowly layering every single song part on top of one another to show the form of the song. I think it ran to four hours in total. I must have sat and listen to it for at least an hour myself :disco:

Last edited:
Amazing song. Maybe not my favorite, but I think it is their best song.

This is me. I actually prefer West End Girls in terms of 80s catchiness, and I enjoy some of their recent stuff even more ("Leaving" and "Minimal" spring to mind). But objectively, this track is just too epic, too huge, too sweeping, too grand. It's their finest moment.

Reactions: RJN
When it comes to my favourite lyrics, I have two, both from the Very album.

The Queen said 'I'm aghast'
Love never seems to last
however hard you try
and Di replied...

That there were no more lovers left alive
No-one has survived
So there were no more lovers left alive
And that's why love has died

:(:(:(:(:(

Then we posed for pictures with the competition winners
And argued about the hotel rooms, and where to go for dinner
And someone said 'It's FABULOUS you're still around today!
You've both made such a little go a VERY LONG WAY!'

:disco::disco::disco::disco::disco:

This is me. I actually prefer West End Girls in terms of 80s catchiness, and I enjoy some of their recent stuff even more ("Leaving" and "Minimal" spring to mind). But objectively, this track is just too epic, too huge, too sweeping, too grand. It's their finest moment.

Leaving is great!

Of the recent stuff, I think I most love The Way It Used To Be and Love Is a Bourgeois Construct

Being Boring (EXTENDED VERSION) will always have to be my favourite - as obvious a choice that is, I relate to it more and more as I grow older.

One of my favourite songs of all time. It's gorgeous.

Moopy poster Jonathan King was not a fan. He released this single I order to further his argument that the song ripped off of Cat Stevens.

I see that a guitarist called Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay, claiming that their hit song ‘Viva La Vida’ is copied from a song by him. Yusuf Islam, aka Cat Stevens, has also remarked in an interview that the song sounds like one of his from the 1970s.

One of the most ancient clichés of the music business is ‘where there’s a hit, there’s a writ’. In 1987 Jonathan King announced on the radio and in his column in the Sun that our (Pet Shop Boys) song ‘It’s a sin’ was copied from Cat Stevens’s ‘Wild World’. We ended up starting to sue King for libel and he settled out of court in our favour. Yusuf Islam wrote us a very charming letter offering to mediate at one point.

We hadn’t stolen ‘It’s a sin’ from ‘Wild World’ and I don’t imagine that Chris Martin of Coldplay has copied his song from either Satriani or Stevens. It is possible to write a song based on a strong, logical chord change with a melody line that follows the chord change and so come up with something new that can coincidentally sound like another song which you may never have heard.

For years we used to perform a medley of ‘It’s a sin’ and ‘I Will Survive’ just because the chord changes were so similar. Here’s a great logical chord change for a hit song (it’s been used loads of times): C major with C bass/ D Major, holding the C bass/ D major, moving the bass down to B/ E minor with E bass. You can’t go wrong.

I adore it, of course, but their rich back catalogue demands so much attention that I don’t think it would even trouble my PSB top ten.

Not only is it an absolute 13/10, it also has the best middle-8 in the history of pop music.

I remember this being a real moment. I had the cassette single. Everyone knew it was the best thing they'd done to date. Whilst I would argue for the single mix of Suburbia, most people feel this was the start of the Imperial Phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom