Pet Shop Boys vs. Erasure [2020 edition]

Who do you prefer?

• Pet Shop Boys

• Erasure

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know, I am sick and tired (of always being sick & tired) of pitting women against each other.

So let's pit gay men* against each other. That's right.

Anyway - all joking aside, I am pretty sure I know how this poll will go down in Moopy but I know who my favourites are. And yes I can get catty if needed: at least Andy Bell can sing. Bring it on!

(* Yes, I know Vince Clarke isn't gay. He isn't. Right?)

Reactions: GNL
I love that he DRAGS UP with Andy on stage. Straight ALLIES do EXIST* :disco:

(* in theory. I've yet to meet one myself. Every 'ally' I've met I've ended up either having sex with or they ended up coming out years later. But one digresses.)

As the years go on, I do find I appreciate Erasure more and more. I didn't dislike them at the time but I don't think I ever bought any of their records, unlike the PSBs who were getting money out of my teenage pocket from the West End Girls reissue onwards. Still PSBs tho' - I think their imperial phase was longer and cut deeper. "It's A Sin" has to be one of the most glorious things ever to reach No 1 in the UK.

I can totally see how some would think of PSB as the 'thinking man's Erasure' but I do not accept it and nor do I agree with it.

Erasure's moodier songs were the one's I favoured - Ship Of Fools, A Little Respect (upbeat but still moody), Stay With Me...that kind of thing.

I dabble with Erasure, but PSB remain superior to this day. They ARE one of my favourite acts. Erasure don't even register.

We have to acknowledge that Vince Clarke's success as a songwriter is split over 4 artists - Depeche Mode, then Yazoo, that one off by "The Assembly" which was excellent and then Erasure. He had a record of some sort at one point I think, having gone top 10 with 4 different acts in the 80's.

Erasure's moodier songs were the one's I favoured - Ship Of Fools, A Little Respect (upbeat but still moody), Stay With Me...that kind of thing.
Yep me too. I Say I Say Say and Erasure are my favourite albums by them and I would say they are the most down-tempo overall.

I have always also admired Andy Bell's outspokenness way back in the day. He never made an attempt to hide his sexuality unlike many of his contemporaries who did (and some of whom still do). I know that coming out is a personal thing yadda yadda but I do admire his bravery. And they sold millions of records nonetheless.

It's a bit annoying that A Little Respect seems to be the 'token' Erasure song nowadays (as GREAT as it is) when they've got so much under their belt.

Sorry but for me Pop! The First 20 Hits (ironic title or not) is second only to The Immaculate Collection as the Best Greatest Hits of All Time

Erasure had their moments and that CAREER-KILLING self-titled album really is a thing of beauty BUT

Is Andries all but gone ? He was the resident Erasure EXPERT.

I am hoping @Christian may back me up as well. We do both enjoy some of their later work, e.g. I Could Fall In Love With You :disco:

PSB no question. Erasure have always been a singles only proposition for me, though maybe I should investigate further. I see there is a deluxe reissue of Chorus out this week.

PSB at the time
PSB when neither was popular
PSB when they’re both heritage acts

Having said all of this, I still think Don’t Say Your Love Is Killing Me is one of the finest gay moments of ALL TIME

Having said all of this, I still think Don’t Say Your Love Is Killing Me is one of the finest gay moments of ALL TIME
God I LOVE it so much - always in my Erasure Top 10, along with other notable UNDERRATED faves such as Fingers & Thumbs and I Could Fall In Love With You ...

I think it's time for an Erasure avatar ACTUALLY.

I was actually playing Pop The First 40 Hits today and for me it’s not even close I much prefer Erasure. PSB have some great singles but Neil’s vocals are a tad whiny to my ears.

Love the lights flashing at the rear of the stage in broad fucking daylight.

(Mind you - genuine props for Bell's Divine t-shirt).

Oh and I can see you @lolly ! Come in here you pussy man, explain your vote! :disco:

There isn't an awful lot in it. But I massively struggle with Tennant's voice now. I think to an extent I always did, but in the pomp and production of their 80s/early 90s stuff it doesn't matter. Everything else is so splendid.

As far as singles go, I'd probably favour PSB, at least in their first few years, but I don't remember the last time I chose to listen to one of their albums, whereas Wild! and Chorus would probably both feature in my top 50 albums ever.

I assume this thread and Suedey's new avatar are thanks to the deluxe reissue of Chorus, which I didn't get a chance to investigate yesterday, but certainly will today.

Oh wait are you trying to say that Erasure have descended into desperate nothingness whilst PSB continue to generate mainstream interest.

Okay, fair enough - I get it but still.

Let's not kid ourselves. Two weeks in the top 40 for an album with the market as flat as it is, and being as frontloaded as it was indicated they are still very much fanbase/heritage rather than any sort of crossover to the current market. They are far more Louise than Lewis Capaldi. Even if that is more than Erasure could pull off now.

I assume this thread and Suedey's new avatar are thanks to the deluxe reissue of Chorus, which I didn't get a chance to investigate yesterday, but certainly will today.
Yes, partly.

I'm waiting for my physical 3-CD edition to be delivered as we speak :disco:

There isn't an awful lot in it. But I massively struggle with Tennant's voice now. I think to an extent I always did, but in the pomp and production of their 80s/early 90s stuff it doesn't matter. Everything else is so splendid.

As far as singles go, I'd probably favour PSB, at least in their first few years, but I don't remember the last time I chose to listen to one of their albums, whereas Wild! and Chorus would probably both feature in my top 50 albums ever.
I honestly do enjoy a lot of their latter day albums too. There's an awful lot of dirge to waddle through (e.g. Loveboat ugh) but loads to enjoy on Tomorrow's World, Light at the End of the World and World be Gone. Also Nightbird is up there with their best for me..

I'm very tempted to buy all their 2016 vinyl reissues but I really shouldn't. Plus I always think Erasure aren't really a 'vinyl' act if that makes sense..

I prefer CDs to be non physical.
I suppose what I meant was that I wanted to wait for the CD to arrive before streaming it like the good old days. However, it appears the 3-CD reissue is not on Spotify anyway...

There's a 37 track reissue on spotify. What does that miss out over the physical?

I’ve been enjoying the new Chorus reissue all weekend, but PSB are my favourites by a country mile. Incredibly consistent since their first album, and their artwork and packaging is second to none. Andy Bell is by far the technically superior singer obviously, but I adore Neil’s voice also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom