Pop Music Activism

There was a reorganisation of the forums recently - I've asked for the previous thread to return.

For those outside of the UK & Ireland, Cathy Dennis’ first album is now available.

and if anyone wants to help, a comment to the tweet with your thoughts is welcome. Will be raising it with the label next week. If it were Jeff Buckley or the Manics the label wouldnt hesitate but as it’s pop the gays love, they don’t care.

I genuinely love Nobody But You, and the video is of course a mahogany classic

Gah sorry I've had an absence.... a run down on some of the highlights since April (though it was a very quiet Q2

Cathy Dennis' debut album goes worldwide
All the Honeyz singles go online (with most mixes) via the record label rather than a fan with mp3s
Kelis' Wanderland wanders back to streaming outside the US
Margaret Berger's Feed You My Love returns (along with other singles)
The B***h versions (rather than Baby versions) of DJ Aligator's The Whistle song EXCEPT the label messed up and put the clean radio edit on
A bit of Alison Limerick
Two pensioners get happy as the 1996 CD of Macarena hits streaming
The final piece of the XTM catalogue (Give Me Your Love) goes live
A bunch of euortrance from Minimalistix, Mike Koglin, Orion Too and Decoy & Roy
Estelle's The 18th day returns
4 The Cause of Stand By Me fame - turns out they had al album with said single
Northern Club banger Sweet Thang by Jonestown hits streaming for the first time
A Rozalla album few may have known about arrives
The Moffatts accidentally get put back on streaming for a day till the old label realises
Defected finally start putting some radio edits online (more on that tomorrow)

And also as a blatant plug for anyone who wants their one and only chance to hear pop legends like Supersister, Girls@Play, Capirce, Jonathan Wilkes, Tymes4 and Sarah Connor in a club

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F134520993%2F390707248163%2F1%2Foriginal.20210506-131204

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F134521115%2F390707248163%2F1%2Foriginal.20210506-131307

Ooh defected radio edits yes please. Thanks @aquaplex

I’ve been diving into the late 80s and early 90s again recently as it really was the best time for music, making loads of acid jazz, piano house and R&B playlists. It does seem to be the worst era for smaller acts not being on streaming. I hope it continues to improve. I’ve noticed some great early 90s R&B / dance albums on Spotify recently that weren’t on there a year or so ago. One of the Alison Limerick albums was one of the ones I noticed. And Innocence and D-Influence. More please.

Are Blondie on your list at all? Their post-comeback discography is very patchy :(

Justice for End to End.

Are Blondie on your list at all? Their post-comeback discography is very patchy :(

Justice for End to End.
I check for No Exit and Panic of Girls regularly (and Curse of Blondie for that matter) :(

My understanding is that the label that released No Exit folded, which is preventing its distribution on streaming (I don't think it's even available to buy DIGITALLY at this point). However, I believe Warner has the rights to Curse and Panic of Girls, so not sure what the hold up is there.

• Sad
Reactions: GNL
Though today I did have Pete Pritchard, producer (and rightsholder) of Clock blocking my attempts to get their music online

Is it wrong that I would really enjoy delving through your inbox :D

A mix of glee, confusion, apathy and complete c*ntery, with no idea what sort of response you're likely to get once the email is sent I'm sure!
Sort of like grindr for POP MUSIC NERDS!

@aquaplex if you're in touch with Defected can you ask them to pick up The Ones - Flawless?

There's still loads of club tracks from late 90s / early 00s unnacounted for and that appears to be the biggest. It's odd because the George Michael cover is available so it can't be a sampling issue..

@aquaplex if you're in touch with Defected can you ask them to pick up The Ones - Flawless?

There's still loads of club tracks from late 90s / early 00s unnacounted for and that appears to be the biggest. It's odd because the George Michael cover is available so it can't be a sampling issue..
That was one of the biggest gaps in the dance rate playlist last year. It's not even as if it's an obscure song!

On flawless, the ultimate rightsholder is anti streaming. I am trying to find out if Ink Records (who commissioned the remix we all know) still hold a licence - they have a release on Beatport available.

Reactions: COB
I know I asked before and you said it wasn't high on your list of priorities (which is fair enough) but I'm desperate to see Kirsty Maccoll's Titanic Days back on Spotify.

Have you had any dealings with stuff that came out on ZTT? That's the label it appears to have come out on (IRS in America). I can't imagine the issue is her family/estate, as they've put virtually everything else she's ever done out in some form or another.

If it's more in your wheelhouse, ZTT also released Leilani's stuff, and I notice the original version of Madness Thing is also missing. :D (Though weirdly the flop follow-ups are all there)

Good. Sorry guys but I cringed at Lolly back in the late 90’s. I remember an annoying little girl lived next door to me at the time and played her torrid album on repeat. I never wished harm on any young child before, until then.
“Torrid” :D:D:D

Reactions: GNL
If it's more in your wheelhouse, ZTT also released Leilani's stuff, and I notice the original version of Madness Thing is also missing. :D (Though weirdly the flop follow-ups are all there)

ZTT's catalogue recently changed hands again. After Salvo/Union Square's licence ran out, it's now with Universal. They've opened their innings by reissuing the first Art Of Noise album for RSD.

I see someone uploaded a random S Club Juniors compilation and not a lot of people may care but, I just wanted to say it's so good to finally have Sundown and Fool No More on streaming!

Everybody should care about such news.

S Club 7 could never!

I see someone uploaded a random S Club Juniors compilation and not a lot of people may care but, I just wanted to say it's so good to finally have Sundown and Fool No More on streaming!
Haven’t they been up for a while now? The whole album has in fact… I’d have thought you just need to search S Club 8.

Haven’t they been up for a while now? The whole album has in fact… I’d have thought you just need to search S Club 8.

not in my country though! I also remember trying to look them up by song title but only shoddy karaoke versions showed up.

I think Rachel Stevens (and maybe even Emma Bunton’s Free Me album or Holly Valance or something) is available on the UK one but not for my Aussie friends who enjoy them. So assuming it varies internationally? Given the Alcazar track is well over 10 million streams I guess it was already available in Europe prior to the UK?

I think Rachel Stevens (and maybe even Emma Bunton’s Free Me album or Holly Valance or something) is available on the UK one but not for my Aussie friends who enjoy them. So assuming it varies internationally? Given the Alcazar track is well over 10 million streams I guess it was already available in Europe prior to the UK?
Sweden, possibly Scandinavia and Germany at one point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom