Pop Toilet Flop Album Listen #2: Sugababes - Catfights And Spotlights (WED @ 8pm)

Did it deserve to flop?

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
R-1493570-1299186289.jpeg.jpg

It's time to come FULL JARKLE as we listen to this wildly unsuccessful album from THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FEMALE ACT OF THE CENTURY INCLUDES THE HIT SINGLES GIRLS & NO CAN DO PLUS BONUS TRACKS ABOUT YOU NOW (ACOUSTIC VERSION) & SHE'S LIKE A STAR

flop2.png

As always, once we have listened, we will vote on whether it deserved to flop or not. So grab your C&S merch and be here Wednesday at 8

ssrco,mhoodie,mens,oatmeal_heather,front,tall_three_quarter,x1000-bg,f8f8f8.1.jpg

Last edited:
Justice for Side Chick. Can't wait for the REAPPRAISAL it SO deserves. :disco:

Is a top 10 album that spent 14 weeks on the chart (I checked on the official charts site I didn’t just know that) that big of a flop though? But by all means listen. I don’t recall it being THAT bad.

The album is fantastic and I shall endeavour to be here on Weds to provide Jark level hyperbole

The shame and fear of tagging an acoustic version of the previous (actually popular) lead single on there as a bonus track, though... I can't believe teenage me didn't see this flop coming.

One thing I noticed today is that they just don't stop talking about breaking hearts, broken hearts and unbroken hearts. I don't know if it's meant to be a theme or it's just lazy songwriting, but it's UBIQUITOUS

This in pop toilet is a bit HARSH don’t you think. It’s not quite 12555/10 but a very decent album. CLASSY even.

This in pop toilet is a bit HARSH don’t you think. It’s not quite 12555/10 but a very decent album. CLASSY even.
Well don’t blame me, it was the record-buying public that flushed it

Here's what @Jark said about it at the time...
Verdicts from my initial listen:

1. Side Chick | Absolutely the most wonderful Sugababes song ever. Totally incredible. R&B, so so modern. Rap-like verses. 12455/10
2. Unbreakable Heart | Just immense, again. Amazing key change near the end and a great vocoded Heidi bit. Brilliant key change too. 10/10
3. Can We Call A Truce | Probably an even better closer than Now You're Gone. Amazing Heidi verse and Amelle chorus. Epic strings. 10/10
4. Hanging On A Star | This is class. Brilliantly youthful, retro yet modern. A 'bit' like a GA song actually. I think it sounds Xenomania-ish. 10/10
5. Every Heart Broken | Already spoken about this. Great song. 9.5/10
6. Nothing's As Good As You | Gorgeous, cute without being cutesy. Fab vocals. 9/10
7. You On A Good Day | Brilliant lyrics, brilliant vibe, brilliant spoken bits. A future favourite I'm sure. 9/10
8. Girls | Obviously we all know this, and I love it. 9/10
9. Sound Of Goodbye | A sad song, it's production reminds me of a Robbie Williams ballad! Though better than that obv. 9/10
10. Sunday Rain | Grand, like a Bond song. Dark. Will grow for sure. 8.5/10
11. No Can Do | Great chorus, so-so verses. Brilliant final minute. 8/10
12. Beware | Not a classic, I think it's fair to say. Alright, but bordering on filler perhaps. 7/10

Their best album by a country mile. I just adore it already.
Find out TONIGHT AT 8 if anything's changed :D

There's been loonier rates on this site in the last 24 hours, by the by

actually listening to the bits that aren't from the Boots ad it's not that bad :ken:

You on a Good Day started driving me mad. The same line round and round ad infinitum :side-eye::zombie:

I'm on No Can Do now. I always didn't mind this. The chorus ends a bit weakly just repeating the "No can do" line but it's okay.

05 Girls
08 You On A Good Day
07 No Can Do

don't TRY and even call me on the TELEPHONE
IT don't mean a thing coz I'm ON my own

- me in this thread

oh I love Hanging On A Star :D i'd forgotten about this

JARK WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

They should have gone for a full 60s girl group aesthetic for this whole era

we love a concept

Reactions: GNL
There's nothing terrible but none of it so far is quite as polished or quality as the stuff on Change or Taller In More Ways. It's much more comparable to Change though production-wise. They seem much more like a faceless manufactured pop band here and no longer the "cool girls". Mutya leaving really hurt them i think.

Side Chick (just started as I was typing) is a bit more like something a bit cooler from Three or Taller so agree it's the best thing so far. 12455 is pushing it a BIT.

Reactions: dUb
Side Chick (just started as I was typing) is a bit more like something a bit cooler from Three or Taller so agree it's the best thing so far. 12455 is pushing it a BIT.
:D

quite! it's at least an 8 though. the kissin' is AMAZING

05 Girls
08 You On A Good Day
07 No Can Do
07 Hanging On A Star
08 Side Chick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom