Possession (1981)

Jark

User
I watched this French horror psychodrama (?) by the Polish director Andrzej Żuławski last night. it's on mubi but leaving soon I think. who's seen it?

with Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill, in two performances that really have to be seen to be believed. he in particular GOES FOR IT. starts out as a bitter look at a divorce/separation, and quickly becomes a violent psychodrama with increasing horror elements. and then goes in... other directions. some of the dialogue is so stilted and stagey it's actually staggering but it's a deliberate choice and gives a faint undercurrent of black comedy. I haven't seen a lot of horror from the 70s and 80s overall, but critics seem to think this is one of the classics of that time? the kind of film that bothers to answer very few of the questions it poses, but I fucking loved it.

also featuring an unreal single-shot body horror scene in a desserted subway with Adjani that I cannot forget about

(I looked for a thread but couldn't see one - anyway paging @jivafox @Sheena @VoR @big ron etc.)

Oh wow. Just what I needed to read. I've seen 3 of his other films, but wasn't sure how this one stood in comparison. I'm ordering now.

Edit: not just yet, £50 is a bit steep.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom