Post your dream singles run from Kylie album (2000—)

Jark

User
em dash alert!

just as the title says - your ideal run of singles from each album, Light Years to Golden. Parlophone generally got half of her time with them QUITE RIGHT and the rest QUITE WRONG so I'm interested to see how opinions differ on this...

Kylie-Minogue-in-Get-Outta-My-Way-music-video-kylie-minogue-32138399-667-300-1496777779.gif

Light Years:
Fever:
Body Language:
Ultimate Kylie:
X:
Aphrodite:
Kiss Me Once:
Golden:

LIGHT YEARS:
-
Spinning Around
- On a Night Like This
- Your Disco Needs You
- Light Years (Single Remix)

FEVER:
- Can't Get You Out of my Head
- Love at First Sight
- In Your Eyes
- Fever
- Come into my World
(Europe/Australia only)

BODY LANGUAGE:
- Slow
- Secret (Take You Home)
- Red Blooded Woman
- Chocolate / Still Standing (Remix)

ULTIMATE KY:
- I Believe in You
- Made of Glass (Remix)

X:
- In my Arms
- The One
- Speakerphone

Aphrodite:
- All the Lovers
- Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)
- Get Outta my Way

KISS me Once:
- Kiss me Once
- Into the Blue
- Les Sex

GOLDEN:
-
Dancing
- Music's Too Sad Without You

- Golden
- Raining Glitter

Light Years:
Spinning Around,
Disco Down,
On A Night Like This,
Butterfly (perfect bridge to CGYOOMH)

Fever: No change

Body Language:
Slow,
Sweet Music,
Someday,
Chocolate

Ultimate Kylie:
I Believe In You,
Made Of Glass (I know, I know it wasn't on the album)

X:
In My Arms,
Speakerphone,
Wow (for the braindeads),
The One

Aphrodite:
All The Lovers,
Get Outta My Way,
Too Much,
Put Your Hands Up

Kiss Me Once
:
Into The Blue (I have come around to this),
If Only,
Feels So Good,
I Was Gonna Cancel

Golden:

Dancing,
Golden,
Stop Me From Falling (GdZ version),
Lost Without You (perfect bridge to Say Something)

Light Years: Spinning Around - On a night like this - Light Years - Your disco needs you
Fever: Can't get you out of my head - In your eyes - Love at first sight - Love affair
Body Language: Slow - Secret (Take you home) - Red blooded woman - Sweet music
Ultimate Kylie: I believe in you - Giving you up
X: Speakerphone - Like a drug - The one - Stars
Aphrodite: All the lovers - Closer - Looking for an angel - Get outta my way
Kiss Me Once: Feels so good - Les sex - Kiss me once - Beautiful
Golden: Stop me from falling - Dancing - Music's too sad without you - Lost without you

Light Years:
On A Night Like This
Spinning Around
Disco Down
Light Years

Fever:
Can't Get You Outta My Heard
Love At First Sight
In Your Eyes
Come Into My World

Body Language:
Slow
Red Blooded Woman
Chocolate
Loving Days

Ultimate Kylie:
I Believe In You,
Made Of Glass

X:
The One
Like A Drug
2 Hearts
Speakerphone

Aphrodite:
All The Lovers,
Get Outta My Way
Put Your Hands Up

Kiss Me Once
:
Into The Blue
Feels So Good
Kiss Me Once
If Only

Golden:

Dancing
Golden
Stop Me From Falling
Music's Too Sad Without You

Aphrodite:
All The Lovers,
Get Outta My Way,
Too Much
Put Your Hands Up
Too Much and Put Your Hands Up are painfully limp! At least Better Than Today has some spark and forward momentum. Those songs are total paperweight duds - a good third or more of Aphrodite really is quite undercooked. What the fuck was Cupid Boy? And Can't Beat the Feeling? I remember the expectation that it would be "her Confessions". and then the reality...

I'd have released Everything Is Beautiful or Aphrodite third, and Better Than Today fourth.

Light Years:
Spinning Around
On A Night Like This
Kids
Your Disco Needs You
Please Stay

The singles were pretty spot-on as they were but YDNY should've got a proper UK push and a video that wasn't set to a shitty remix.

Fever:
Can't Get You Outta My Heard
In Your Eyes
Love At First Sight
Come Into My World

Perfect as it was. They even improved Come Into My World with the gorgeous radio edit.

Body Language:
Slow
Red Blooded Woman
Sweet Music

Chocolate did well enough of course. They weren't spoiled for choice here.

Ultimate Kylie:
I Believe In You
Giving You Up

I ADORE Giving You Up and find it criminally underrated. If swapped out for BPM though, that would've done equally well I reckon (which is to say, top 10 peak and quickly forgotten).

X:
Like A Drug
In My Arms
The One
Wow

Assuming we can't choose White Diamond (UPTEMPO) I'd go with Like a Drug as the perfect reintroduction and then In My Arms just before the album. The One third, with a good push for the Freemasons mix too, and Wow to close out the era as it clearly struck a chord.

Aphrodite:
All The Lovers
Get Outta My Way
Aphrodite
Better Than Today

See above

Kiss Me Once
:
Into The Blue
Kiss Me Once
Feels So Good

Feels So Good really deserved its moment. I just can't imagine WHO thought I Was Gonna Cancel had a shot at doing... anything

Golden:

Dancing
Golden
Shelby 68
Music's Too Sad Without You

This would've been a great little singles run. I think I would feel much more warmly about the entire era had it been. Shelby 68 and Golden are the best two songs here and really could've showcased a less synthetic approach to country-pop than fucking A Lifetime to Repair, one of the limpest Kylie singles EVER

Too Much and Put Your Hands Up are painfully limp! At least Better Than Today has some spark and forward momentum. Those songs are total paperweight duds - a good third or more of Aphrodite really is quite undercooked. What the fuck was Cupid Boy? And Can't Beat the Feeling? I remember the expectation that it would be "her Confessions". and then the reality...

I'd have released Everything Is Beautiful or Aphrodite third, and Better Than Today fourth.

I actually don't like Put Your Hands Up but it seemed to be a popular song among fans (I'm not really keen on Aphrodite in general).

Too Much on the other hand, SLAPS. It remains one of only 4 songs I have time for on the parent album.

Both Everything Is Beautiful and Better Than Today are turds in my opinion. I think she sounds terribly nasal on the former and the latter is just completely MOR and forgettable - it had a hand in Radio One's decision to stop playlisting her.

'Too Much' is great for the CLUBZZZZZ but not single material. While 'Put your Hands Up' is inferior, it's more commercial.

Oh I like this.

Not so much going for the pink pound as it was throwing poppers into the crowd..

Light Years
- Spinning Around
- On A Night Like This
- Your Disco Needs You b/w Please Stay
- Light Years (pitch a performance to The Brits - have This Morning takeoever ready as back up)
- Butterfly (the papers will report the release has been cancelled because her next single is just so good, etc)

Robopop Minogue activated..

Fever
- Can't Get You Out of My Head
- In Your Eyes
- Love At First Sight
- Come Into My World (Fischerspooner Edit)

What's too expensive for Rachel Steven's will become homoerotic iconography for Kylie..

Body Language
- Slow
- Red Blooded Woman
- Sweet Music
- Still Standing

Made of special K..

Ultimate Kylie
- I Believe In You
- Made of Glass b/w Giving You Up

And from Fischerspooner to the Fisher Price Alison Goldfrapp..

X
- In My Arms
- The One
- Wow
- Like A Drug

Put your legs up..

Aphrodite
- All The Lovers
- Get Outta My Way
- Illusion b/w PWL style Put Your Hands Up

Take 2 of these and leave the best songs off your tracklisting in the shadows..

Kiss Me Once
- Les Sex b/w Into The Blue (as Commonwealth Games anthem)
- Kiss Me Once
- Feels So Good
- Sleeping With the Enemy

Golden

Never listened to it :(

Last edited:
'Better Than Today' was Aphrodite's 'Lifetime to Repair'.

She mostly gets her single choices spot on and the WTF releases are normally 3rd or 4th singles.. the only time she got it hugely wrong with a lead single was '2 Hearts,' of course.

And yes a slightly BEEFED UP single remix of 'Light Years' would have been a fabulous single choice and the perfect transition to Fever - not 'Butterfly,' which of course is great but is another CLUBBY Minogue track and not really that commercial..

They got it mostly right, to be fair

Light years:
Spinning Around
On a Night Like This
Kids
Your Disco Needs You
I’m so High
Light Years

Fever:
CGYOOMH
Love at First Sight
Fever
In Your Eyes
Love Affair

Body Language:
Slow
Sweet Music
Red Blooded Woman (US only - lead single, third single elsewhere)
Loving Days

X:

In my Arms
Wow
The One
Speakerphone
No More Rain

Aphrodite:
All the Lovers
Get out of My Way
Illusion
Aphrodite

KMO:
Into the Blue
Kiss Me Once (Also released before album I feel like ITB was nice but not enough to generate interest)
Feels so Good
Beautiful (not good but maybe collab could have gotten her a semi hit)

Golden:
Stop me from Falling
Golden
Live a little
Lost without you

Yes I also entertained 'I'm so High' from Light Years. In the context of SWYW Robbie and the 'Kids' collabo, I think the UK public would have lapped that up..

Golden:
Stop me from Falling
Golden
Live a little
Lost without you

Ooh, I really wanted to pick Live A Little but I feared the structure was too similar to Dancing (yes, I know it follows the same ssetup as half of the record) and I accept that the lead single they did choose has become a bonafide Kylie bop (with an appropriate message to boot).

I know Golden suffers from too many soundalikes but aside from Life Time To Repair hurting my ears, I genuinely still really like the album. Love is so unlike any other Kylie song but its still quintessentially Kylie.

I think team Kylie gets it right the majority of the time for the first and second singles. After that it may go a bit wonky, but for a lot of the time, two great singles from Kylie per album campaign and a lot of filler is par for the course.

Aphrodite may as well be a double A-side and fuck the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom