Prince - Welcome 2 America (new unreleased album)

KindaCool

Footsteps are following me

New Prince album "Welcome 2 America" to be released, will debut on 60 Minutes

Songs from Prince's "Welcome 2 America," an album written and recorded before a 2010 tour, but never made public, will be heard for the first time Sunday night on 60 Minutes.

The deluxe boxset version of the new album is set to feature the regular 12-track album on vinyl and CD, alongside a previously unreleased full-length concert film from Prince’s show at The Forum in Inglewood, California on April 28, 2011.

‘Welcome 2 America’

1. Welcome 2 America
2. Running Game (Son of a Slave Master)
3. Born 2 Die
4. 1000 Light Years From Here
5. Hot Summer
6. Stand Up and B Strong (Soul Asylum cover)
7. Check The Record
8. Same Page, Different Book
9. When She Comes
10. 1010 (Rin Tin Tin)
11. Yes
12. One Day We Will All B Free

‘Prince – Welcome 2 America (Live at The Forum, April 28, 2011)’

1. Joy In Repetition
2. Brown Skin (India.Arie cover)
3. 17 Days
4. Shhh
5. Controversy
6. Theme From “Which Way Is Up” (Stargard cover)
7. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet Jackson cover)
8. Partyman
9. Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)
10. Misty Blue (Eddy Arnold cover)
11. Let’s Go Crazy
12. Delirious
13. 1999
14. Little Red Corvette
15. Purple Rain
16. The Bird (The Time cover – Prince composition)
17. Jungle Love (The Time cover – Prince composition)
18. A Love Bizarre (Sheila E. cover – Prince composition)
19. Kiss
20. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry cover)
21. Inglewood Swinging (cover of Kool & the Gang’s “Hollywood Swinging”)
22. Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside cover)
23. More Than This (Roxy Music cover)

Can someone change the thread title to Prince: Welcome 2 America as this will just be annoying in future times.

Going to try and get this for RSD, albeit that latter day Prince is something I’m still to get fully on board with.

Can someone change the thread title to Prince: Welcome 2 America as this will just be annoying in future times.

Going to try and get this for RSD, albeit that latter day Prince is something I’m still to get fully on board with.

This isn't the RSD release. This is a previously unreleased album.

The RSD release is The Truth which was previously available with Crystal Ball (on CD)

I just don't have the room to store extra "stuff" so any special releases that don't contain new material are a no from me. I do love The Truth album though.

Welcome 2 America on the other hand - finally.

This isn't the RSD release. This is a previously unreleased album.

The RSD release is The Truth which was previously available with Crystal Ball (on CD)
Oh yes, you’re right. I confused them. It was late!

I just don't have the room to store extra "stuff" so any special releases that don't contain new material are a no from me. I do love The Truth album though.

Welcome 2 America on the other hand - finally.

have you heard/seen that Forum set before? Has it never made its way onto YouTube before even in low def?

and what do you know about W2A? For all my love of Prince my knowledge of his archives/vault is very limited.

they said after he died we would get brand new material eventually but after a couple of albums of demos and acoustics I thought we’d never see a studio album again. Is there potentially more full albums after this one??

There are LOADS of potential new albums but most would likely be a hotchpotch of stuff taken from all around rather than recorded for a specific project.

For me there was just SO much, so obviously never felt starved of Prince music. I buy it when it’s out but if something didn’t get released it was no big deal because something else would eventually come along.

The 2011 show at The Forum has indeed been bootlegged, but I don’t think I bothered with it at the time because the set list was so similar to the previous couple of big tours. There were about 100 to choose from so I just opted for the Hop Farm show I attended. The smaller 2014 shows in the UK were much more special.

OMG I was at Hop Farm :D

My sister also went to the Ireland show a few months later which was part of the same tour/era except he updated the set list (as he does) and opened his show with Gold :( apparently the place went nuts. He hadn’t played it live since the 90s.

I never saw him play Gold :( It was literally the one thing I said to him briefly in 2007 when he came out to greet the fans outside The O2.

Apparently the super deluxe is £65 on Amazon France, or was last week.

Superdeluxeedition had a feature on it. The UK is ridiculously out of sync with other countries- AGAIN.

I really think Priince was a genius, but there's a reason he didn't release some of this stuff.

I think this album is quite strong! It helps it's quite cohesive and relatively succinct, and a lot of the subject matter being more pertinent than ever in 2021 helps too.
As AWFUL as it sounds to say too - having this released outside of the avalanche of material Prince was releasing at the time definitely helps you focus on the album as a whole too.

Hot Summer in particular is a really catchy standalone track, and I love that the first few tracks all kind of flow like a mini-suite.
THAT SAID TenTen (Rin Tin Tin) is a BIT of a disaster and should have been cut FOR SURE!

Last edited:
I'm also gutted that I didn't realise The Truth was released on vinyl for Record Store Day this year, as it's one of my fave Prince albums, and it's now SOLD OUT or ridiculously priced EVERYWHERE!

I've only played it once, which is a bit telling. First impression is that he's farted out better stuff in the past from the old NPGMC releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom