Psychobitches

lolly smitten-downes

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Nobody else watching this on Sky Arts?

I'm not entirely sure how it's come about; from what I can tell it's from 'Playhouse Presents', a five part series that started last week, following a one off last summer.

Starring the ubiquitous (but at least for the time being, quite rightly so) Rebecca Front as the therapist to many of history's most famous women; Frances Barber and Mark Gatiss as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, the hairy Aunt from Grandma's House as Audrey Hepburn, Sheila Reid as Margot Fonteyn, Katy Brand and two others I forget as the Bronte Sisters. But best of all, Julia Davis as Sylvia Plath as Pam Ayres.

It's quite a chortle and I'm sure would be right up a lot of moopy's street. I'm just glad I stumbled across it as it would have been very easily missed.

The trailer looked unbelievably bad. If I hear that the Julia stuff is good I'll give it a go.

I LOVED it. Mr L got bored after about the second sketch. I can see the concept could be IRKSOME, and think you'd struggle if you couldn't embrace it. It's possibly a bit too 'comedy for A level English literature students' for some as well.

I thought this was good, if not as great as the premise sounded; the Audrey Hepburn and Eva Peron bits in particular got me going, although Julia Davis as Plath stole it.

The Bette / Joan slapstick stuff on the other hand got tiresome very quickly.

Last edited:
I need to catch this. My (New York) ex worked on the pilot last year.

Last edited:
I saw a clip of Bette and Joan and it didn't seem all that funny. Intrigued by some of the others though.

Watching the first episode of this now - I LOVE Sylvia Plath and Bette/Joan :D

LOVE this,especially for the sort of League of Gentlemen reunion. Reece Shearsmith as a 17th century hag was quite something

God, isn't Katy Brand just FUCKING SHITE in every way?

There's a fair bit of this on Youtube now. Frances Barber as Doris Stokes is my favourite.

Last edited:
OMG Janice from the Book Group as Mary Queen of Scots, with EXTRA Scottishness. The subtitles!

'GO. FUCK. YERSELF. CUNT.... CUNT.' :D

It's how I imagine Tetris :disco:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're NOT FAR WRONG :D

I really need to catch up with this, both those clips are amazing...

THIS SHOW IS FUCKING AMAZING

"A PIG HUNG IN THE DARKNESS! IN THE DARKNESS! IN THE DARKNESS!"

Last edited:
I just watched the Pilot on Sky Go, but can't find any other episodes on there. It was amazing but didn't have Julia Davis in it :( I need to see more of her Plath :D Any idea where I would be able to find the rest of the series?

I noticed Rebecca Front tweeting about filming more. YAY.

I only wish I had Sky Arts. :(

Sophie Ellis-Bextor will also be appearing as Nancy Mitford. The mind boggles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom