Q Magazine DEAD

I only occasionally look at the magazine racks so no I hadn't seen it either. Normally in the queue at Tesco Metro I like to take in the headlines on the trash real life womans mags.

"I RAPED MY DAD AND NOW HE'S HAVING MY BABY"

Anyway Q rarely comes up in Google searches like the way NME has successfully managed.

Oh I loved the website before it went behind a paywall. Back in the late 90s I spent many an hour reading old reviews of people like Cyndi Lauper. And Deee-Lite featuring in a where are they now article. I even used to buy old issues if I fancied hearing what Joan Osborne had to say about Caroline in the City.

Another iconic moment for me was Debbie Harry and her razor blade dress (which she said had already cut her several times).

I think the most memorable was a best singles issue that came around 98 or 99. Probably my peak years for actively buying music. It seemed like knew everything that was coming and going then. I loved reading that list, it was just so fascinating.

I’m kind of pleased. I am still a subscriber, but only because some computer glitch somewhere means they charge me £3 once a year and nothing more.

Actually, with that in mind, DID I KILL Q? :shock:

Anyway, I’m pleased because I resent actually reading it, there’s so little of interest in it to me these days. I just knew that for the once a year I needed a magazine for a flight or something and would buy it that £3 worked out cheaper...

Its a shame because I used to always get this, but I thought it had stopped a few years ago

I still subscribed out of habit (my only magazine subscription). The last issue was already written as the final one, reminiscing on past glories, so going to that well again for a final final time is going to be a bit strange.

It is obviously shit for the people working on the magazine, and I feel a bit sad because I have read it for so long but it really didn't have as much to interest me as it used to. The reviews section had shrunk and the amount of bloody lists and endless rewrites of the same Oasis and Kurt Cobain material...

Yeah I think that was my problem with Q, you could tell that unlike NME or other magazines who were clearly championing new voices and trying to reinvent themselves in order to be relevant, they were stuck in a very clear mindset of what they thought "real music" was and it was difficult to move them from the usual suspects. Pretty much how I feel about Empire magazine too.

I used to buy it during my aggressive REAL MUSIC phase circa 2003-2007. And yes, I definitely thought it was already DEAD.

I haven't looked at it in years. Probably about a decade. If it didn't try to move on and stay relevant, I imagine it would probably slip into some netherworld where it wasn't appealing to any new readers, but wasn't Classic Rock or Classic Pop or whatever, either.

Yeah I think that was my problem with Q, you could tell that unlike NME or other magazines who were clearly championing new voices and trying to reinvent themselves in order to be relevant, they were stuck in a very clear mindset of what they thought "real music" was and it was difficult to move them from the usual suspects. Pretty much how I feel about Empire magazine too.

I stopped buying Empire and Total Film well over 10 years ago. I do however subscribe to Film Stories which really does champion people who don’t normally get a lot of coverage: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/magazine/

The rehashing of Oasis stuff was ridiculous. The recent “What’s The Story Morning Glory” retrospective was actually almost enough to make me quit, even for £3 a year.

There was one recent issue (I forget which), which had LOADS I wanted to read and I was surprised and thought it may have turned a corner, but the one after I literally didn’t read a single thing and threw it away after no more than 5 minutes with it.

Magazines are a dying breed anyway. The few I subscribe to have been getting thinner and thinner (admittedly Corona has probably played a part in that) but I think it just ads to the fact that printed media is just slowly becoming less and less relevant.

Bring back Smash Hits

or TOTP Magazine

I had boxes of them in the loft, but when my parents were downsizing to a smaller house they got the chop. I know someone is scanning them all somewhere

actually does anyone remember the website they’re on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom