Quarantine Specific Reading/Book Club?

Beverley

GUESS WHO’S BACK?!
I know we have a book for April book club sorted, but does anybody have anything they've always wanted to read but never attempted because it was too long or difficult or daunting? On Twitter, people are reading War and Peace (12 pages a day, with Yiyun Li providing daily thoughts) and there's people taking the chance to read other epics.

@RaspberrySwirl, I thought it might take you out of your funk if we read something, maybe a classic, or some non-fiction together? Could be after/alongside the Irish Murdoch novel.

Ofc, I'm open to ideas, but I was thinking about The Silk Roads, or this Ottoman quartet written by the imprisoned Turkish writer, Ahmet Altan.

Thoughts? @Suedey @Phoenix @Mats @jivafox (I don't know who else READS)

I have The Silk Roads and would love to start it but it looks like a bit of a slog. Though I get your point about using this as a chance to read those kinds of books.

Very up for this though.

And would be good as incentive to read something in addition to what I'm currently getting through.

I really really recommend The Silk Roads (the New Silk Roads was sadly not as good). Yes, it’s a fairly long book but I devoured and found it hard to put it away. But if you’re not into history and geopolitics then it’s not really a book for you.

As for War and Piece; I’d love to! I posted this series of Russian classics; it’s one of them but I haven’t got it yet.

I’d love to read some poetry too.

This is what I was planning to read (bought it earlier this year) after I finish my current book. It’s about the history of Arabs from pre-islamic era until today.

9780300180282.jpg

hashtag not that you asked but i incidentally read camus' the plague last summer and now everyone is calling it topical :Oi:

i couldn't relate to people before you, ok.

I haven’t been reading at all, I usually do most of my reading in cafes and this lockdown has put an end to that. I wanted to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Ann Bronte just because I read that evil Charlotte prevented the book from being republished after Ann died (which is why she’s the least known of the sisters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom