QUEEN OF DISCO Donna Summer Artist Playlist Sync Listen 17/04/21 @ 8pm

14 - 18 Bad Girls/Dim All The Lights/Walk Away/Our Love/Sunset People

220px-Bad_Girls_LP.jpg

5 choice cuts from Donna's 2nd US #1 album. The entire album is well worth a listen, especially the "Side D" electronica section. "Dim All The Lights" holds the record for longest held note by a female vocalist at 16 seconds. "Our Love" is held as being the template for New Order's "Blue Monday" and "Temptation".

Last edited:
Reactions: RJN
I always forget how good "Sunset People" is, it's never a go-to track but IT SHOULD BE.

19 & 20 No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)/On The Radio

220px-On_The_Radio_LP.jpg

Donna's final US #1 album was a career to date greatest hits collection bookended with two new tracks - "On The Radio" and "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" with Barbra Streisand (the track was also included on Barbra's "Wet" album). Both versions here are edits, the full length versions are available on the deluxe edition of "Bad Girls" and worth seeking out The latter was a global smash, hitting #1 in the US and #3 UK. There's a story that in one of the vocal runs, Donna fainted while trying to hold the note while Babs carried on singing, only stopping to check on Donna once she was done.

Well I lied earlier because No More Tears (Enough is Enough) is my favorite.

There's a story that in one of the vocal runs, Donna fainted while trying to hold the note while Babs carried on singing, only stopping to check on Donna once she was done.

omg :disco:

21 - 23 Looking Up/Nightlife/Stop Me

220px-Donna_Summer-The_Wanderer_%28album_cover%29.jpg

As a new decade began, Donna signed a record deal with Geffen Records leaving Casablanca behind her but still carrying on working with Giorgio Moroder & Pete Bellotte. "The Wanderer" was her first release on the new label and while not as successful as her disco peaks (US #13), it was critically acclaimed and the second single "Cold Love" was Grammy-nominated. "Looking Up" & "Nightlife" here were given the remix treatment as part of the album's 40th anniversary reissue.

24. Leave Me Alone

I%27m_A_Rainbow.jpg

One of the better tracks from the abandoned "I'm A Rainbow" album, Donna's final work with Moroder and Bellotte. The album was shelved when label head David Geffen was displeased with the tracks he had heard and it only resurfaced in 1996. Some of the album's tracks went on to be covered by others including Anni-Frid Lyngstad (To Turn The Stone) and Amii Stewart (Sweet Emotion & You To Me).

25 - 27 Mystery Of Love/Protection/The Woman In Me

220px-Donnasummer82.jpg

David Geffen paired Donna up with producer Quincy Jones in the hope of an album that would be as successful as her 70s peak. Their relationship wasn't great, Donna was pregnant during the recordings and thought Jones was too boisterous. She later remarked it felt like a "Quincy Jones that I happened to sing on". It went on to spawn the successful singles "Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger) and "State Of Independence" but the album failed to live up to Geffen's expectations peaking at US #20. "Mystery Of Love" here was selected to be a single until backing singer James Ingram wanted title credits. "Protection" was written by Bruce Springsteen for Donna Summer and earned her a Grammy nom. "The Woman In Me" was a minor hit single, though it did go Top 10 in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Oh God there's no one here. Replay this with is the hits on a Wednesday

28. She Works Hard For The Money

220px-DonnaSummerSWHftM590x590.jpg

The title track from the album and one of the few big hits Donna had in the 80s. The album only came about as an end to a legal dispute between Donna and Polygram Records. Originally planning to reteam with Giorgio Moroder, she worked with Michael Omartian who would also go on to produce her next Geffen album "Cats Without Claws".

Ugh @Frozen you should run this again. Looks like a fabulous playlist and needs a bigger audience.

Everyone's busy licking tables and breathing on people in crowded pub gardens because they've had a needle. SOME OF US HAVEN'T YET THANKS

How would Monday 26/2 or Wed 28/2 suit for a replay of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom