Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine & Crooked Machine

Incapable is my other favourite. I just find the album version a touch chopped down - it deserves to sprawl out in all of its seven minute glory. Lyrically I find that a really unique, paradoxical song.

Just making sure that everyone saw this?

As if I didn't love this song enough, I didn't know I needed a live disco orchestra version, but I REALLY DID :disco:

She was on Sophie Ellis-Bextor's podcast the other week. Talking more about her family than her music, but I've never really heard her talk in depth about her life before. Love how thick her Irish accent still is.

What's this about?

Can't deny the 'who's' has knocked her down a point or two in my estimation.

01. Kingdom of Machines
02. Echo Returns
03. Capable Rhythm
04. Assimilation
05. Crooked Madame
06. Less Is More
07. Name Changer
08. We Are the Law
09. Hardcore Jealousy

it will be a continuous mix again

oh it's a sultry gem now! the sex gasps in the final minute or two are :D :disco:

Very excited for this, although I can't see how it could top the original album in any way. It was one of my favourites of 2020!

has anyone DIVED IN? @funky? it's a bit more of a VIBE/mood piece, although the Incapable mix (Capable Rhythm) is fucking incredible (like every incarnation of that song!)

I haven’t quite cracked it yet (or listened to everything) but is it one remix per original album track and are they in the same order or is it all reworked?

I’m not usually one for remix albums when the originals are so established in my head. As a fun listen maybe but not an album keeper. But so far, I’m absolutely obsessed with Assimilation. Like, obsessed. It is one of the most beautiful electro house songs I’ve ever heard, and it’s reworked enough to feel distinct from the original which is also great, but I actually prefer this.

I do of course plan on sitting down to this at some point.

it's one remix per track (different order tho) funks, yes, except We Got Together and Murphy's Law which have been mashed up into one. they're mostly quite dub-like other than the Incapable, Shellfish M and Jealousy remixes which are more like full vocal mixes.

OMG.

she's the gift that keeps on giving. these are technicolour house excellence.

Narcissus in particular TOSSED my weave rather rudely into ORBIT. :disco:

Call me basic…but that was not it.

Now I’ve seen every single tour since the Overpowered era (the peak for me where she got the bonkers vs bangers ratio just right) and the last shows were in that weird post-Monto/ Plaything EPs space.

Roisin Machine is her most accessible album since Overpowered, had new management and seemed to be playing the promo game very well. So naively I thought the forced wackiness might have been reined in every so slightly.

BUT FUCK ME, don’t bother playing any of the actual album versions of your songs (SUCH a waste of Murphy’s Law). It’s hardly like they were 3 minute slices of plastic pop to begin with. Great gowns, beautiful gowns but Jesus, Ro.

The ULTIMATE troll was the encore being an ACOUSTIC SET of Golden Era & Familiar Feelings!

It really was same old, same old for me but with diminishing results. I’m sad that I need to separate the recording artist vs the touring act :(

Last edited:
I don't think i would bother seeing Ro (outside of a festival stage) for all of the reasons stated by @monsta above

however big :D at

Roisin Machine is her most acceptable album since Overpowered

faint praise!

the ones in-between were indeed unacceptable.

I don't think i would bother seeing Ro (outside of a festival stage) for all of the reasons stated by @monsta above
however big :D at

faint praise!

the ones in-between were indeed unacceptable.
ACCESIBLE! I was tired!

@COB was very positive when he stumbled in at 11pm last night to rave about how good she was. Completely ruined my wank.
500_F_344998426_oPv3msLbtY5FFgfgGxRSGNYNDnSMyELc.jpg

I’ve heard that Roisin has done a few not-catering-to-the-fanz tours over the years, so I must have been lucky when I saw her at KoKos not long after the Overpowered album came out - it/she was spectacular. Anything I’ve ever seen on YouTube, including Jools and in particular her festival appearances with Moloko, are also amazing.

I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed seeing her about 5 years ago during her inaccessible ERA but I would have expected a Murphy’s Law tour to be a return to glory.

oh well @monsta you’ve at least made me feel better for not getting a ticket to her Manchester gig.

I was under the impression she'd incorporated a lot of the Crooked Machine versions into her latest live show, is this THE CASE? I should probably refresh my memory of it. It didn't have much staying power for me compared to the actual album proper.

I've seen her live MANY TIMES and the setlist is always so hit and miss. I'll never forget the "Overpowered" tour which mainly consisted of random Moloko album tracks, fan non-faves from the album such as 'Checkin' On Me' and a bunch of songs from the dreaded RUBY BLUE! :basil:

I hope at least we get a decent version of Something More :hostage:

Róisín fans to please ASSEMBLE in funky's lockdown albums survivor thread please, she is in danger of not making the top four :shock: 😤

10 Simulation (although Assimilation is even better)
07 Kingdom Of Ends
11 Something More
08 Shellfish Madamoiselle
10 Incapable
08 We Got Together
10 Murphy’s Law
08 Game Changer
09 Narcissus
10 Jealousy

Magnificent. Can’t believe I’m saying this in a world where “Overpowered” exists, but this is her best album.

Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom