Rank and rate Kylie's lead singles ('00-'18)

Jark

User
POST-SPINNING AROUND as this was really the birth of Kylie 2.0, UK national treasure

00 Spinning Around
00 Can't Get You Out of My Head
00 Slow
00 I Believe In You
00 2 Hearts
00 All the Lovers
00 Into the Blue
00 Dancing

I will say...

11 Spinning Around
11 Can't Get You Out of My Head
11 Slow
10.5 All the Lovers
10 I Believe In You
08.5 Into the Blue
07 Dancing
06 2 Hearts

For me it's impossible to separate the first three - all COMPLETELY different in approach, all incredible songs in their own right, all have been reinvented endlessly and survived the test of time beautifully.

All The Lovers is also an 11, especially in isolation, but the Jark theory of relativity dictates that a certain restraint must be enforced when scoring and so it's just a 10.5 today.

08 Spinning Around
09 Can't Get You Out of My Head
09 Slow
10 I Believe In You
08 2 Hearts
13 All the Lovers
09 Into the Blue
07 Dancing

09 Slow
08 All the Lovers
07 Can't Get You Out of My Head
07 I Believe In You
07 2 Hearts
07 Into the Blue
07 Dancing
05 Spinning Around

I’ve never understood the love for Spinning Around. It’s such a feeble little throwaway song. CGYOOMH was fab at first, but does absolutely *nothing* for me now. The only one of these singles I genuinely love is SLOW.

08 Spinning Around
10 Slow
09 I Believe In You
07 2 Hearts
09 All the Lovers
08 Into the Blue
08 Dancing

Last edited:
I’ll do this later but All The Lovers,for me, is one of those songs that elevates itself live from the recorded version. I much prefer it in concert than when I play the album.

09 Spinning Around
10 Can't Get You Out of My Head
09 Slow
10 I Believe In You
06 2 Hearts
10 All the Lovers
08 Into the Blue
08 Dancing

I'm mixing my rate based on how much I truly love(d) them, but also how much of a lead single it was. I wouldn't rate Spinning Around as a 9 now, but it totally was a ridiculously great comeback.

I’ve never understood the love for Spinning Around. It’s such a feeble little throwaway song.
FEEBLE? Spinning Around is rock solid. The melodies, the GROOVE, the hooks at every turn, the impeccable vocal and above all the meta thematics of the lyricism - "threw away my old clothes, got myself a brand new wardrobe - I got SOMETHIN' to SAY!" :disco: oh my god, queen. (HER and ME)

09 Spinning Around
10 Slow
05 I Believe In You
03 2 Hearts
06 All the Lovers
04 Into the Blue
03 Dancing

09 Spinning Around
09 Slow
09 I Believe In You
08 2 Hearts
11 All the Lovers
07 Into the Blue
09 Dancing

NOT BAD KYLES

FEEBLE? Spinning Around is rock solid. The melodies, the GROOVE, the hooks at every turn, the impeccable vocal and above all the meta thematics of the lyricism - "threw away my old clothes, got myself a brand new wardrobe - I got SOMETHIN' to SAY!" :disco: oh my god, queen. (HER and ME)

Nah, it has a Paula Abdul writing credit. Says it all really. It sounds so cheap and the melody is Lisa Scott Lee level banality.

09 Spinning Around
10 Slow
10 I Believe In You
07 2 Hearts
10 All the Lovers
08 Into the Blue
09 Dancing

Spinning Around is a bit of on empty shell, but fuck me that shell was coated with mirrorball and glitter. Deny at your miserable peril.

Oh, and

10 I Believe In You
10 Spinning Around
10 Slow
09 All the Lovers
07 2 Hearts
07 Into the Blue
06 Dancing

10 All the Lovers
10 I Believe in You
10 Slow
09 Spinning Around
08 2 Hearts
07 Into the Blue
06 Dancing

09 Spinning Around
08 Slow
09 I Believe In You
06 2 Hearts
09 All the Lovers
08 Into the Blue
08 Dancing

I can’t decide how to do this cause CGYOOMH is the obvious winner, but I like Slow better...

I’ll THINK ON

08 Spinning Around
11 Slow
09 I Believe In You
07 2 Hearts
08 All the Lovers
06 Into The Blue
07 Dancing

Slow or Breathe is my all time fave Kylie single. Spinning Around is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The song is pretty much a better than average pop song yet the way she delivered it, the timing and the moment were just all perfect.

Can’t Get You Out Of My Head was just an amazing moment. It’s hard to judge it now because I feel I could go without hearing it on record or live ever again but of course it is monumental.

07 Spinning Around
07 Can't Get You Out of My Head
09 Slow
07 I Believe In You
05 2 Hearts
07 All the Lovers
06 Into the Blue
07 Dancing

"Spinning Around" definitely laid the foundation for CGYOOMH (career wise, not musically/creatively) but it does sound a *tad* cheap nowadays. It's actually the song that triggered my adoration for her though, and led me to investigate further...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom