Ratched (Netflix)

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
New Ryan Murphy show on Netflix with Sarah Paulson a prequel about Nurse Ratched.

I’m only making this thread because of this picture because the show will inadvertently be shit

F21783-D7-8-BB1-486-B-9240-9-E46765-CBC88.jpg

I definitely don't trust Ryan Murphy with this :( Someone let me know if queen Louise Fletcher shows up playing someone else, I'd tune in for that if nothing else.

Watching Mrs America I realised how refreshing it was to see Sarah Paulson given some material other than PANICKED SHRIEKING.
It was nice to see something with her in, set in the past that didn’t constantly preach contemporary values.

Last edited:
What a CHARLATAN this queen is. The sooner his Netflix deal expires and he makes way for competent producers the better.

Settle down Queens, Hollywood and The Politician (particularly season two) were both very good

Hollywood was dreadful.

I do love The Politician though. He does frothy soap opera VERY WELL.

The AHS with the line about the Saturn award was also very good. The start of Apocalypse, etc.

I also don't think these projects were all happening without him, so.

What a CHARLATAN this queen is. The sooner his Netflix deal expires and he makes way for competent producers the better.
He was pretty much shut out of the Emmy nominations this week so maybe that moment is coming sooner than you think.

I can't say I'm much enthused for yet another of his high concept, low delivery efforts this year. Pose could have been something special, but alas it's (fun glossy) vapourware. I've yet to find time for Hollywood.

Hollywood was dreadful.

I do love The Politician though. He does frothy soap opera VERY WELL.

The Politician looks quite good and I was planning to start it this week. I didn’t realise it was another Ryan Murphy production.

Hollywood should have just stopped after episode 2.

Both Feud and The Assasination of Gianni Versace were great, Pose had it’s moments but was gawkishly sentimental. My problem is his style is so distinctive that all his shows REAK of him to the point of distraction.

Actually Feud and Crime Story were both pretty strong. Both cut short and all the better for them.

Along with early AHS but that went to shit in ways only Ryan could manage.

Pose I will still watch as it does offer something slightly different. But 'gawkishly sentimental' really gets under the problem with so much of his stuff.

Pose would actually be unwatchable without Elektra, who let’s face it, isn’t even that well developed a character, and is luckily enhanced by the very WOODEN acting.

The Politician looks quite good and I was planning to start it this week. I didn’t realise it was another Ryan Murphy production.

Hollywood should have just stopped after episode 2.
I've seen three episodes of The Politician and really enjoyed it. It's unmistakably Ryan Murphy, for better or worse.

Haven't felt the urge to press go on Hollywood but will give it a spin at some point.

Elektra is the best thing about Pose but no, she wasn't winning any awards any time soon :D The rest of them, bar Billy Porter, can't act for toffee either. It IS, however, still sort of fabulous, but much better when they lay off the treacle.

Actually season 2 was a mess, just remembering the storyline where Angel became a cocaine addict after one night on the tiles.

if nothing else this looks ludicrously stylish and deranged

Sharon Stone in a camp as tits series is a real thrill - it's out next friday

Stone has finally showed up and I guessed about her son before the reveal. Its formulaic trash and good lord male bodies and camp women over 50, the guy does know his audience, but if Stone wasn't in this I'd gladly have stopped after episode 1.

Ugh, his work is so glossy and overstylized. Every single shot is dripping with pretentious camp. I'm 44 minutes in and I'm really struggling.

All style, no substance.

It worked really well with Feud because the subject matter lent itself well to that kinda style. But with this it's borderline vulgar. It's almost like watching an anime.

I liked it! Why the hatred of Ryan Murphy? Can someone please give some actual criticism.

I liked it! Why the hatred of Ryan Murphy? Can someone please give some actual criticism.
For me... the premises are always amazing, the casts iconic, the first episodes full of promise and then a regular decline into messy plots, unusual applying of modern values onto the past, and a complete inability to deal with sensitive issues without being twee and cringey.

That said I normally broadly enjoy them and he's brought some great stories to the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom