Rate the Madonna Song Above You

An utter gem! I completely agree with the decision to leave it off the Like A Prayer album though. It's too playful, and LAP is many things, but playful isn't one of them really. It has a gorgeous wee tune and cute production. Her voice sounds great on it too. She has that earthy husk that her best 1988/89/90 vocals had. I absolutely love it! 9/10

Love it! Fabulous opener to the soundtrack - unfairly forgotten. It's probably the most 'conventional' pop song on it (aside from 'Vogue,' of course). 8/10

The 80s production song is the absolute tits. It verges into what I consider to be annoying sacchrine Madonna, but just holds back from that second teaspoon of sugar. The bridge is great. 8/10

9/10 It's a Moment isn't it? It still sounds GREAT, autotune madness and all. We were feeling generous in those days and forgave I LIKE TO SINGY SINGY SINGY LIKE A BIRD ON A WINGY WINGY WINGY. Little did we know what was to come. On which topic I inadvertently subjected myself to THIS today for the first time

Dreadful and not even acceptable as an ad libbed studio “jam” had they just been having a laugh 2/10.

Love this. Some of the rhyming couplets in the verses are a little bit iffy but the sentiment and particularly the vocal harmonies are gorgeous. 9/10

Time Stood Still is a massive favourite of mine, good choice! It's proper beautiful moving wistful stuff that she did so well during that era. The Power of Goodbye's little sister. 10/10 and let's forget about the film.

"All the things we might have been..."

Electro ethereal dream pop. The synth drum over the trancey flourishes is such a trademark of the parent album. Actually amazing, if not maybe a little long.

Oh piss, I knew it would be replied to before I got there.

RH is the first Madonna album I don’t really have a feel for. I know everyone hates this song but I sort of like how obnoxious it is. Perhaps just the wrong side of Trolldonna

7/10

Oh piss, I knew it would be replied to before I got there.

RH is the first Madonna album I don’t really have a feel for. I know everyone hates this song but I sort of like how obnoxious it is. Perhaps just the wrong side of Trolldonna

7/10

I thought it was dreary and boring at the time but I enjoy it these days. I like the autotune'd backing vocal effects throughout. It's not her most memorable moment, and the lyrics are a bit shit, but time has generally been kind to it. 7/10.

08/10

Her "Lotus" moment. I like to imagine the smirk of satisfaction Xtuna must have had a) when she heard it, and b) when all the texts from her gays flooded in as she pretended not to have heard it yet. Shame the youtube clip doesn't use a picture of Anita Roddick with the wires on her face. And from Café Christina onto Café del Mar...

Skin really does get under your...skin. In the best possible way. It's the start of a mesmerizing section of Ray of Light, that thumping beat is relentless, the production incredible, it's so sweaty and demanding and still manages to be melodic. The little flourishes are what really make it and by the time it finishes you've no idea where it's taken you other than feeling like a dead, dripping mess who's been power blasted across worlds, but you're quite happy about that.

Isn't it everyone's least favorite on True Blue? I've learned to love it, especially the "Why oh why oh why oh why do fools fall in love with fools like you?", it's joyful 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom