RSD 2022 + general vinyl discussion

The indie ones are shite in general. Five years ago I'd have been tempted with Catatonia, James and even Stone Temple Pilots but I'm not made of money!

Anyone buying into the national album day '90s thing? I'm tempted with some of the titles..
I actually think there’s loads of good stuff which makes me worry about going to the record shops on the day and spending way too much. Off the top of my head I want the Hole, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Blur and Eternal. I ordered a Dannii vinyl and T-shirt already online but know if I see the cd boxset I’ll cave in after all and get it too after making a conscious decision not to.

So what’s all this Beatles red and blue album reissues / box sets about? and are they worth the hype @octophone @Sheena ?

I’ve got both of the original releases so don’t feel the need. I’m not a massive fan of the additional stuff.

I’m still trying to justify the Revolver box set, which has never been reduced price wise.

I only have the Let It Be and White Album box sets because they're the only ones that reached a suitable price point (£42 and £52 respectively) - Revolver is probably my favourite Beatles album but the content/price ration was very poor.

The main draw here is the 'demixed' version of the early songs that have only existed in either mono or very wide stereo (vocals on one track, music on the other) as well as those where things were recorded separately and then "bounced" onto a single tape track. So the Red album is the more interesting release because it's our first taste of the heavily AI separated tracks whereas the later albums were often pieced together from pre-bounce session tapes. I'm genuinely interested to hear 'Love Me Do' on Friday - I feel that if the results weren't genuinely impressive, they wouldn't be releasing it the week before the albums.

The albums themselves are a shambles tho' - the extra songs are inserted chronologically on the CDs but are on a separate disc on the vinyl! The result is that LP 3 of both sets is the weirdest, most illogical slabs of Beatles vinyl ever pressed. The price tag is way inflated and it does feel a bit like one last big old suck and their aging fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom