Relisten #1: 'Kylie' and 'Enjoy Yourself' - 16/10/20 19:00

Tisch

Spare potatoes
RELISTEN #1 - 'KYLIE' AND 'ENJOY YOURSELF' - 16/10/20 19:00

AUWA80600513_640x480_01.jpg

Come join us at 19:00 (Great British England Time). Start off your weekend the same way Kylie started her career with her first two albums (if you ignore the Neighbours stuff anyway). Pop open the Kylie wine, get your #shoeoftheday on, and come on and woOoOoOoOpPpP with us!

It's No Secret that it's Never Too Late for a Kylie listen. That said these two albums are less than an hour together, so Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi we can't do this followed by @funky's Groove Armada par-tay afterward (but @funky Look My Way if this is a problem. I've Got To Be Certain that the time will work :))

If I Should Be So Lucky there are Tell Tale Signs on these albums and I guarantee you will Enjoy Yourself. No Tears On My Pillow for me! So get the earliest Loco-Motion home. Move Heaven and Earth if you have to, as there's really Nothing to Lose. First timers will say it's Love at First Sight. Old-timers will remember lovingly with Hand on Your Heart and hopefully after all this time, still Wouldn't Change a Thing about these albums.

Last edited:
There’s some real sappy horror on ‘Enjoy Yourself’ although I do love the title track

For those of us who would best describe Kylie as tolerable, is there anything for us in these albums, or does she still need a bit of time in the oven?

But don’t start yet

:kim:

we’ve got a sync listen of them ahead of us

For those of us who would best describe Kylie as tolerable, is there anything for us in these albums, or does she still need a bit of time in the oven?
@Jark is right, there is better to come for sure. These aren't without their charm. You probably know or at least have knowledge of the singles, which are the handpicked gems, so join in if you're feeling adventurous I'd say. :)

7pm won't work for me, sorry. Not too devastated to miss this pairing, anyway.

Oh my. I have a thing at 7:30 but I may join for the the first half hour of THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER OWNED. Especially since I won't miss Turn It Into Love.

Reactions: COB
My abiding memory of the first album is having it on cassette and listening to it in the sixth form common room. Where needless to say I had the piss ripped out of me. It did help seal an enduring friendship with @Epponnee Rae, though. So much so that when he went to the Enjoy Yourself tour he bought me a mug which I still use <3

As much as I did love all the singles (to varying degrees) and bought the first two albums, I don't remember really getting EXCITED about Kylie as a pop star until Rhythm Of Love, though. To start off with, she was definitely a placeholder while Madonna had a brief hiatus.

I did a full Kylie discography re-listen during the first months of lockdown.

These two were... challenging.

They are also BRIEF

I think people without previous knowledge and without particular affection for Kylie (or SAW) may well find it a struggle.

I was 8 and saw TOTP for the first time when she was at #1 with "I Should Be So Lucky". I was ENTRANCED by the video especially her blowing bath bubbles at the camera.

Actually I can also vividly remember listening to the album walking to and from my church badminton group on Tuesday evenings. Odd how some albums you can have very specific memories of about very ordinary activities. Kate's The Whole Story always reminds me of walking the dog in the snow around a local field.

And I had the album for several weeks before I realised you could fold out the cassette inlay and it had ALL THE LYRICS! It was ALMOST as exciting as getting it in the first place :disco:

I'm surprised tbh. These albums are hardly Mozart but the strength of the singles alone I would have thought would lift people's opinions of them slightly. Especially 'Kylie'. The run of singles can't be denied really! I know Loco-Motion is much revered these days but it's not actually awful is it?

I Should Be So Lucky being on regular rotation on VH1 Classic at my Nan's house is my earliest Kylie memory too.

I'm surprised tbh. These albums are hardly Mozart but the strength of the singles alone I would have thought would lift people's opinions of them slightly. Especially 'Kylie'. The run of singles can't be denied really! I know Loco-Motion is much revered these days but it's not actually awful is it?

They're just insanely samey. But, as lolly mentioned, mercifully short.

Also Enjoy Yourself is a definite step up from the first one, for what it's worth.

They're just insanely samey. But, as lolly mentioned, mercifully short.

Also Enjoy Yourself is a definite step up from the first one, for what it's worth.
I agree with your first point but not the second. EY has way more filler on it, for me anyway. I also haven't actually listened to it for a long time.

Speaking of Kylie first memories, mine is having the Greatest Hits (the one with Celebration on it) being bought for me on cassette when I was about 5. I got my gay card early. :disco:

I don’t think there's so much between the first two, personally.

Yes 8 or 9 pm would be ideal but I can probably make 7 pm work on a Friday if that is the consensus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom