Relisten #2: Rhythm of Love & Let’s Get To It - 19/10/20 19:30

@ZenGiraffe your put downs are getting quite tedious now. No one is forcing you to take part are they @COB ?
I am genuinely curious about her back catalogue and album tracks. I like most of her singles and I have nothing better to do. But I am going to give my opinion on it if everyone else is too.
Loving that @ZenGiraffe played all nicey nicey until he won the Mod election and now he's fully letting the mask slip :D
Funnily enough I looked through the Kylie concert rewatch threads from months ago, and I am very consistent. No mask slipping here!

Anyway, I was hosting a pub quiz while this was running but I had a listen to Let's Get To It on my walk home. It's just a bit all over the place really, isn't it? Proper grab-bag stuff, which makes for quite an unsatisfying listening experience.

It probably would have flopped even harder given the MOR tracks were the hits, but I kinda wish she'd just made a full on early 90s rave album. In addition to Guess I Like It Like That, Do You Dare is a highlight from that era.

Anyway, I was hosting a pub quiz while this was running but I had a listen to Let's Get To It on my walk home. It's just a bit all over the place really, isn't it? Proper grab-bag stuff, which makes for quite an unsatisfying listening experience.

It probably would have flopped even harder given the MOR tracks were the hits, but I kinda wish she'd just made a full on early 90s rave album. In addition to Guess I Like It Like That, Do You Dare is a highlight from that era.

The fact that they had to issue these tracks under a pseudonym tells you all you need to know about how they would have been received.

Actually I think it's probably 12 years, if we're discounting that Abba Hyde Park thing. Which we should.

I have to say that at 17 pages this thread was a great success, especially given one of the albums is probably Kylie's weakest

Monday nights are perhaps prime time for things like this?

Watching some LGTI era performances. The early 90s was a very strange fashion moment in general, but even so, what the buggery bollocks was going on with THIS look?

I mentioned this performance in the other thread (I think) but that look was a bit of a shock. Plus it was the first time she sang live on TOTP.

I think it more or less coincided with the terrible styling on the LGTI tour.

I'm not the biggest Finer Feelings fan really. Was much made at the time of the Madonna comparisons? When you think she was doing Justify My Love and Erotica around the same time, FF just feels so tame, yet also quite try-hard, by comparison...

I'm not the biggest Finer Feelings fan really. Was much made at the time of the Madonna comparisons? When you think she was doing Justify My Love and Erotica around the same time, FF just feels so tame, yet also quite try-hard, by comparison...

It's really not comparable and indeed wasn't ever meant to mimic or ape Madonna's efforts. The album version is more run of the mill - it's the remix that transforms it really. Also when you look at where Kylie had come from with Neighbours/PWL there was just a different context - it was a little more adult sounding, that's all.

The tour on the other hand was another matter. That was blatantly oversexualised (unnecessarily so because the music was hardly this massive progression) and she received a lot of flack first for employing John Galliano but mainly for copying Madge.

Finer Feelings was only the second song under their label which PWL permitted to be remixed by someone other than an inhouse remixer. The first was Shocked, obviously. Both were done under pressure from Kylie.

It's also how BIR managed to nab production duties on Kylie Minogue.

There's a fascinating new interview with Steve Anderson on YouTube if anyone is interested (though the interviewer is a bit of a flake)..

Last night's listen just underlined for me that Let's Get To It isn't BAD (for the most part - I ought to mark IYWWMN and NWWY down a notch or two) so much as BORING. And for Kylie then, that's arguably a worse crime.

I'll be having a listen encore tomorrow. I think the intrigue is LGTI as the duds Kylie survived are almost as interesting as the peaks. However, as for has mentioned, there was a rave sub plot that was far more exciting (not least because it follows RoL more than reigning it in to whatever Word is Out was).

For those who haven’t heard it (and I suggest you do) this is the full length 12” Brothers In Rhythm reworking of Finer Feelings:

Reactions: SDF
The title track to Let’s Get To It features some of the worst lyrics written (I assume) by native English speakers. Someone has dipped into the Oxford Guide to Songwriting Cliches for that one.

Only doing this now!

Rhythm of Love
09 Better The Devil You Know
09 Step Back In Time
11 What Do I Have To Do?
06 Secrets
05 Always Find The Time
04 The World Still Turns
10 Shocked
04 One Boy Girl
04 Things Can Only Get Better
03 Count the Days
03 Rhythm of Love

Overall: 6.18 (Everything outside of the singles really is utter shite)

Let's Get To It
08 Word Is Out
06 Give Me Just A Little More Time
07 Too Much Of A Good Thing
07 Finer Feelings
10 If You Were With Me Now (Yes, I really do love this song this much)
07 Let's Get To It
06 Right Here, Right Now
07 Live and Learn
06 No World Without You
08 I Guess I Like It Like That

Overall: 7.2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom