Relisten #4: Light Years & Fever (TONIGHT 7.30pm)

Jark

User
Light-Years-Fever.gif

Are you ready bitches? :eyes:

TRAVEL IN LIGHT YEARS...
If it's true that to qualify as a legendary pop diva you need to make at least one major comeback at some point in your career - usually a few years after people start to talk about you like you're history or, worse still, stop talking about you at all - then Kylie was thirteen years deep into an already impressive and varied musical career when she finally earned that place at the table. In 1998, when her left-field, artistically-awakened but commercially-sleepy sixth record Impossible Princess left the few charts it impacted (in Europe, it did nothing at all) just weeks after its arrival, it might've been tempting for critics to imagine that Kylie's career would either cease to exist or, at the very least, shapeshift into something quite different.

She chose the latter.

Returning a few months into the new millennium, Kylie came to the party with a better wardrobe and a new direction - and, maybe most crucially, a new record label. Parlophone A&R Jamie Nelson steered Kylie back into the mainstream pop scene she'd left behind at the beginning of the '90s, updating her sound with references from nu-disco and French house a year before Daft Punk's Discovery became a global smash. If the cheerful pop bombast of SAW which had once defined Kylie's sound seemed wildly dated in the Y2K, a host of new producers, from Johnny Douglas to Guy Chambers and the Spice Girls' hitmaker Biff Stannard, created a sexier, most playful sonic sandbox for her to play in; the new sound, marrying sleek electronic house (On A Night Like This, Light Years) with more retro homages to eras past (Loveboat, Spinning Around), fit Ms Minogue as snugly as the gold hot pants which made instant Kylie fans of a million dads. More notably still, it played directly into the tastes of Kylie's sizeable gay fanbase, soundtracking Saturday nights on local dancefloors for the entire of the year 2000, and earning a loyalty that would last far longer.

From Spinning Around onwards, the Light Years campaign played out as smoothly as any other successful, image-remaking comeback you can call to mind, giving Kylie four UK top 10s and two #1s in her native Oz - her first since Confide In Me six years earlier. In 2000, as in 1994, Kylie surprised everyone who had thought it reasonable to consign her to history - and this time, she was just getting started.

FEEL THE FEVER.
Clearly energised by the widespread success of Light Years, Kylie demonstrated her hunger to remain on top by returning with a new album exactly one year later. Where its predecessor cast its web across a wide range of dance-pop sub-genres, Fever streamlined Kylie's sound, filtering out most of the retro elements - only its opening track nods to the disco of decades gone by - to create a record that was tighter, more concise, and considerably more futuristic. This is sci-fi-leaning electropop at its sleekest, with the joyous bounce of much of Light Years replaced by a robotic, mechanical approach to both the music (Kylie's voice frequently swims under a cool layer of vocoder) and the choreography of the videos (Kylie and dancers obeying their programming to a T in sparse, post-apocalyptic renderings of a distant metropolis).

Which is not to say that Fever is a cold record from front to back - far from it. There's a real sensuality to opener More More More, Love At First Sight bottles the ecstasy of the feeling, and both Your Love and Dancefloor sound like a disco on a rooftop at the cusp of sunset. But the overriding sensation of Fever is something more ritualistic - dancing because that's all there is. On both the deliciously repetitive hook of Can't Get You Out of My Head, the ice-cold European megasmash that entered the collective conscience and immediately cemented Kylie as one of the all-time greats, and the dark alluring In Your Eyes, movement feels mandated, as if some shadow government has religiously choreographed the lives of its citizens to prevent any ideas of rebellion creeping into the collective psyche. And perhaps Fever lays out its thesis most clearly on the title track, with a confession and a question: "I can't help but need this drug / Don't you feel the fever like I do?" In the future, the disco has become the prison and the means of escape.

Certified platinum or multi-platinum in various countries globally and even breaking Kylie into America, briefly, Fever was the sound of an artist gone stratospheric.

Last edited:
because I forgot about this and prepared nothing you will instead be getting a steady stream of content across the day leading up to this evening :eyes:

I won't be here because I'm hosting a pub quiz, but Light Years is still by far my favourite Kylie album.

You should also consider tagging 'Tightrope' onto the end of your Fever listen. Surely her greatest B-side?

Get @Jark utilising his graphic design skills and making us all feel inadequate.

I'll be here seething with jealousy at the popularity of it all.

Last edited:
Perhaps we ought to curate a playlist of the best b sides/bonus tracks etc and have them as a separate listen after we've completed the albums.

I won't be here because I'm hosting a pub quiz, but Light Years is still by far my favourite Kylie album.

You should also consider tagging 'Tightrope' onto the end of your Fever listen. Surely her greatest B-side?

A pub quiz over ZOOM I hope.

Perhaps we ought to curate a playlist of the best b sides/bonus tracks etc and have them as a separate listen after we've completed the albums.

I thought that was the plan anyway.

We got official SNIPPETS of most (if not all) of Light Years before the album was released, didn't we?

Surely the VERY BIRTH of CRYING TEARS OF DISCO JOY :disco:

I remember seeing that really cool teaser poster that was plastered all over London a couple of months before release - it didn't mention her name but had a wonderful tag line (which I can't recall now) and referenced the title in some way.

I think I tricked my younger brother into thinking he wanted 'Light Years' for Christmas and then nicked it for myself.

It's just everything you want from a Kylie album, really. Joyous pop perfection.

Last edited:
The 00s introduced the best Kylie b-sides of any era, and I love "Tightrope" but I prefer "Made of Glass" :disco:

I've tagged Whenever You Feel Like It, Boy and Tightrope at the end of the Fever album in the first post for whomever fancies sticking around. Rendezvous at Sunset sadly not on Spotify :(

Tightrope really is essential - sometimes I think it might be my favourite Kylie song of them all.

Reactions: VoR
Hold on. I thought we were doing all the bonus tracks in a separate Sync Listen as lolly stated. I think that's a better idea frankly.

Tightrope can stay but let's do everything else together.

Last edited:
Hold on. I thought we were doing all the bonus tracks in a separate Sync Listen as lolly stated. I think that's a better idea frankly.

Tightrope can stay but let's do everything else together.
I don't see it in the list in your own thread dear :zsazsa:

Regardless of what's included or not, I don't see why we can't do an extra playlist anyway to mop them all up. I'm guessing there will be a significant number of people who didn't do every listen, or left without doing the bonus tracks. And more who may just well be happy to do them again.

OMG the gif in the tweet looks delish :disco: thanks @SDF you megahun

I should NOTE btw guys that i'm not literally illustrating these graphics from scratch :D i use an amazing online software that has everything, I just choose images and basically CURATE with an AESTHETIC EYE. I don't want to oversell my talents here :eyes:

Don't forget to tag on 'Password' to the end of Light Years.

I think it might be best to shift Fever forward a bit no?

I mean what about 'Ocean Blue' and 'Paper Dolls'??

Oh FUCK did I miss the indie years?

that was the one I wanted to join :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom