Relisten #6: Aphrodite & Kiss Me Once (TONIGHT! 01/11/20 at 7:30pm)

Iguana

If I only could...
Aphrodite

Kiss Me Once

APHRODITE (2010)

aphrodite-official-a-5600x5600-1-e1592064469830.jpg

R-2550896-1295029139.jpeg.jpg

4daf73301ea75d01f39bf06c655feb7c.jpg

KISS ME ONCE (2014)

140321-kylie.jpg

Kiss+Me+Once+-+Wallpaper+Ernesth+Garcia.jpg

Kiss+Me+Once+by+Hermy+G.+Kennio.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve liked this even though Aphrodite is probably my least favoured Parlophone album and in my bottom 3 Kylie albums over all.

Last edited:
Great visuals, beautiful visuals!

Loving @Eddie bringing the negativity before we've even had a chance to breathe! :D

I love Aphrodite loads. I was surprised to see it treated with a bit of disdain on Moopy because I'm sure it was liked in 2010. I'm curious to see how people react to the relisten.

KMO sticks out to me in her catalogue. It's not the best yet I do still seek it out to give it a complete run-through sometimes so there's definitely something there. It contains some real HIGH HIGHS. They're just not quite as obvious as HEAD or Spinning Around...

It will be onteresting to listen to these to back to back as they're very different and there was a long time, and some projects in between them.

Aphrodite is one of my least favourite Kylie records aside from the first two. and then KMO goes one further. so, looking forward to tonight. :D

Aphrodite is... OK. The main problem it has is that absolutely nothing even comes close to the majesty of All The Lovers.

Kiss Me Once is comfortably her worst post-SAW album for me.

Now, from the general positive vibes coming from the rest of you, I can't tell if I am going to love the albums or if I should just write off tonight entirely as a waste of time.

Now, from the general positive vibes coming from the rest of you, I can't tell if I am going to love the albums or if I should just write off tonight entirely as a waste of time.
I think you'll enjoy at least a decent amount of Aphrodite - she's leaning quite hard into electropop for most of it.

If I recall from your reactions during the Les Folies sync listen, you're not going to love them

Flower, Timebomb, Skirt and Crystallize videos as interludes please.

Flower, Timebomb, Skirt and Crystallize videos as interludes please.

Don't you want to save some of those for your extras sync listen?

I'm planning on JUST doing Timebomb and then after Kiss Me Once people can suggest further viewing :emoji_older_man:

Skirt is quite tempting though tbf

APHRODITE

Entertainment Weekly: The diminutive Australian diva is still delivering disco thunder from Down Under.

AllMusic: Aphrodite is the work of someone who knows exactly what her skills are and who to hire to help showcase them to perfection.

Billboard.com: The new set casts a spell with Stuart Price's signature preternatural touches, Minogue's breathy chirp and the hooky melodies of a varied crew of dance pop-focused songwriters and producers.

Urb (?): Her return to electro-pop form on Aphrodite–Minogue's 11th studio record in 23 years–is on point, maybe even better, than much of her discography.

PopMatters: Sometimes dance pop with this much gloss and unabashed glee is relegated to the realms of guilty pleasure, but Aphrodite is that rare representation of perfect production that is just pleasure, pure and simple.

LA Times: There aren't many new ideas here, just more of the old reliable - which, from such a believer, is still finely executed.

Uncut: Despite her vaguely regal poise, and a songwriting crew including Jake Shears, Calvin Harris and Tim-from-Keane, Aphrodite is dismayingly anonymous pop-trance.

KISS ME ONCE

AllMusic:
Despite this one skippable moment ["Beautiful"], Kiss Me Once is a glittering, fun, and surprisingly powerful album that's classic Kylie through and through.

Q Magazine: The 11-song set is drizzled with plenty of that Minogue jus.

Fact Magazine (UK): There’s more than enough in this album to keep her in that position--so, come for the gay brostep, stay for the songcraft and character.

Entertainment Weekly: Dodgy songs abound, but so does Kylie's plucky charm.

The Observer: It's contemporary enough for the 2014 marketplace, but classy enough to maintain the clout of an improbably evergreen pop diva.

The Telegraph: Full of sparkling hooks, the results do a good job of melding Minogue’s effervescent pop grooves with the dense, heavily treated vocals and deep sub bass of modern electro dance trends.... Subject matter and delivery are strained by coquettish pandering.

The Guardian: A handful of great moments, a bunch of filler, some excruciating lyrics about sex: you could use that to describe countless other Kylie Minogue albums.

NOW Magazine: The album starts strong with classic Kylie banger Into The Blue, but it suddenly succumbs to faddishness on nondescript disco tune Sexy Love and the weirdly dated dubstep track Sexercize.

The range of fan reviews on Metacritic

APHRODITE

InvisibleM:
This is a brilliant pop album. It's pure Kylie pop - hummable, sensual, fun & euphoric. It contains fantastic goddess-like dancefloor anthems like All The Lovers, Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love), Cupid Boy and Can't Beat The Feeling as well as elegant chants like Illusion, Everything is Beautiful and Looking For An Angel. All in all, I think it's Kylie's best album, especially because of the amazing production work by Stuart Price, who successfully manages to put the album together as 'a whole piece' of music.

vispreeve:
All the songs are very good pop-dance songs - very Kylie - but there's not one song that stands out. It's too cohesive - I don't know is that such a bad thing, though. In conclusion - it tends to get boring...

KISS ME ONCE

Benjamin2009:
Amazing, very pop, very capable of some good remixes, and very KYLIE. I couldn't ask for more, but only if the USA would notice her like the rest if the world!!

Aero1183: I'm just gonna say this: This is one of the most rehash things I've ever heard in my life. Once again, Kylie and her comfortable popdance zone. It's very recycled, nothing classic, boring as hell and the same sounds on and on. I feel in a mix between 'Aphrodite' and 'Fever' (in a bad way).

please make it mandatory for everybody to listen to Heartstrings straight after Aphrodite.

Aphrodite is packed with bops. She'd lost her way a bit by KMO.

Not sure I'm going to be able to be there at the start. I think Aphrodite is one of her weakest albums anyway, but haven't played it for several years to see if I still think the same.

I will be interested to hear which ones people especially dislike. I know the Aphrodite album is quite FLUFFY but that's what I really quite like about it!

I've been listening to Aphrodite this afternoon as I seem to have double booked myself tonight, and it's a mostly fantastic album as far as I'm concerned - a bit UNAMBITIOUS maybe, but there's a lot of strong songs throughout and the production is right up my street. It also contains one of my least favourite Kylie singles ever, but apart from that :eyes:

That Uncut review of Aphrodite is SPOT ON. It is an album created in the boardroom. All that tosh that Kylie and Stuart Price came out with about the “Dolly Parton litmus test” was GUFF. AT BEST I like 4 songs on the album and only properly love 2 of those.

Last edited:
That Uncut review of Aphrodite is SPOT ON. It is an album created in the boardroom. All that tosh that Kylie and Stuart Price came out with about the “Dolly Parton litmus test” was GUFF. AT BEST I like 4 songs on the album and only properly love 1 of those.

I don't think of Nerina Pallot as a "boardroom writer" at ALL though - she's very much of the singer-songwriter ilk, and she has 2 writing credits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom