Relisten #8.2: DISCO (06/11/20 at 19:00)

Celebrate you is one of the better moments

Practically EVERY SONG has disco references.

I’ve spotted Vogue and Bad Girls in this one (Fine Wine)

See you at the bar :D :D

Last edited:
This is hilarious. It is essentially the THEME TUNE TO HER CDP ADVERT.

07 Magic
09 Miss A Thing
10 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
09 Supernova
12 Say Something
08 Last Chance
08 I Love It
07 Where Does The DJ Go?
11 Dancefloor Darling
05 Unstoppable
08 Celebrate You
07 Till You Love Somebody
06 Fine Wine (for the ridiculous lyrics if nothing else)
06.5 Hey Lonely

My faves:

Magic
Say Something
Dancefloor Darling
Celebrate you
Real Groove
Miss a thing

the others are messy/not very good :(

Vocoder/talk box again on Spotlight. It’s a nice Groove but still bonus track affair.

07 Magic
09 Miss A Thing
10 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
09 Supernova
12 Say Something
08 Last Chance
08 I Love It
07 Where Does The DJ Go?
11 Dancefloor Darling
05 Unstoppable
08 Celebrate You
07 Till You Love Somebody
06 Fine Wine
07 Hey Lonely (already grown on me a bit)
07 Spotlight (got nothing on Jessie)

Why does disco need to sound so dated? :(

Not listening now. Gonna indulge in the morning. Is there space on the timetable for an evening listen with a bigger audience?

So there is really nothing exceptional in the bonus tracks though they may grow. I think this album has that potential at least.

I’d cut Unstoppable from the standard and you’d have a pretty tight (and highly reverential) lightweight disco album. Say Something still stands head and shoulders above everything else though (apart from maybe Dancefloor Darling).

Not listening now. Gonna indulge in the morning. Is there space on the timetable for an evening listen with a bigger audience?

I’m not sure if 7pm was officially agreed or not but I’m happy with that if everyone else is.

I’m really not sure she’s trying to reinvent the wheel.

I had fairly low expectations if I’m honest and this record exceeded them.

Kylie/her collaborators just have a really limited frame of reference about what disco actually is apparently.

Like, everything here is 2000s pop through a slight nu-disco or 70s disco filter. Just swap the sound effects around a bit and voila.

There are so many different sounds within or adjacent to disco - funk, soul-pop, Italo, house - that this album doesn't even make the slightest attempt to touch on. I don't think her collaborators have the RANGE.

This is a good album btw, I like quite a few of the songs already and I'm sure I'll be all over it for a while. But what a shame that she/the people she's working with don't have the vision to pull something more sophisticated like What's Your Pleasure? together - that is a disco record in the true sense.

Reactions: dUb
Ok hiya @Eddie here I am

I'm down to I Love It and it all sounds perfectly nice for a girls-from-work night out to me :emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_cocktail:

...but it's not my vibe. Still, congrats lovers! WhooooOOOOOOOOooop!!!!!

I don't think we really need the final bit of it though.

If this wasn't Kylie y'all would be filing it under B for Basic, except our @Nancy of course :eyes:

It is all a teensy bit 'gimmicky Hannah solo track on an S Club album'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom