'Robyn' released on double red vinyl for RSD

Just trying to find the Shakespear's Sister 12"- EIGHTEEN NINETY NINE! FOR A TWELVE INCH!

Jesus, we're mugs...

Just been on the Steve Hoffman forums where everyone has their metaphorical dick out. They've all bought the same stuff: Lennon, The Who, Bowie, The Kinks (much wailing about stock levels for that one), Roxy Music...been in stasis for 40 years lads?

Managed to snatch Robyn, Charli and then BUCKLED and bought the utterly useless Christine And The Queens one too just in case I regret not buying it in future :D

Somehow managed to buy from 3 different shops, meaning I’ve probably spent about 10£ more on postage than I really should have done :D :bruised:

It's a massively white straight male of a certain age pursuit, isn't it? Every record fair I go to has such a narrow demographic as well.

I’m amazed more gay interest acts don’t try and milk RSD a bit harder. Robyn has certainly COTTONED ON over the past few years.

I really think the above-mentioned straight white male demographic, and the gay vinyl collector must be by far the two biggest markets available :D

I could have got The Fall online but had that "this is going to be £27 including postage for an album I own on 2 different CD editions and isn't exactly top tier Fall" moment. So I didn't.

I’m amazed more gay interest acts don’t try and milk RSD a bit harder. Robyn has certainly COTTONED ON over the past few years.

There's usually a couple of pop records. One year there was a Justin Bieber picture disc and one proprietor in this fair city said the people who wanted it were a "fucking nightmare" when they were told it was sold out (I think he'd got 2 copies of it or some such). Shops will work on the basis of their demographic, especially this year.

Robyn isn't JUST gay interest though- she very much fits into the demographic of indie vinyl lovers.

In a record store in Marlborough. They still have Robyn and Kylie. Decided against both.

To be fair the Kylie one is an ugly azz colour and there's no artwork (hi Chromatica!! You have a lot to answer for) - it wasn't even on my wish list.

I really really wanted this but yeah, fuck the shit that goes with RSD. I was working anyway which didn't help.

I assume it's going for stupid amounts already

I actually changed my mind and bought Robyn, but left Kylie. I won't play it, but Robyn is at least one of my all time favourite albums. Kylie is just a single I don’t even particularly like.

From the prices on ebay, Kylie is more rare.

Reactions: SDF
Interestingly, a friend I went with who was working on Saturday so not able to go, and then just thought better of it bought all four of the things on his wishlist (Alphaville, Kylie, Philip Glass and something else) anyway. This was a small indie in a small town in Wiltshire. Why bother queueing?

Last edited:
Was the Robyn vinyl really only 1000 odd copies?

Either demand was pretty low for it, or we've all been HAD.

There were still copies in my store when I picked up mine a minute ago.

Annoyingly, I thought the "ROBYN" Sticker on the front was on the inside (I'm not entirely sure how...) and so I just ripped the plastic off and tore it in half. FUMING. This will haunt me forever.

Robyn seems to have pretty much sold out online now, aside from a few places charging LUDICROUS prices.

So happy to have it (well, I will be when it ARRIVES in the post).
I love the album and this artwork so much. I kind of hope it's the original versions of Robotboy and Bum Like You in spirit of the original version of the album, but I'm sure it will be the UK versions.

I'm wondering if the figure Rough Trade quoted was just their allocation. It seems odd to me that there are still copies sitting in shops on Monday and Tuesday otherwise.

Surely Rough Trade wouldn’t have ordered that many of ANYTHING?

Robyn seems to have pretty much sold out online now, aside from a few places charging LUDICROUS prices.

So happy to have it (well, I will be when it ARRIVES in the post).
I love the album and this artwork so much. I kind of hope it's the original versions of Robotboy and Bum Like You in spirit of the original version of the album, but I'm sure it will be the UK versions.

It’s the UK versions.

Oh that’s a shame about Bum Like You :(

I think it has more to do with the diminished interest. The stuff that sold out in quick time was always going to sell out in quick time. Everything else had a slower shift.

Surely Rough Trade wouldn’t have ordered that many of ANYTHING?
Oh that's true - they only have about THREE or FOUR shops, don't they? :D

I expect they have a stronger online presence than most (if not all) the other indies taking part in RSD, but I agree, probably very ambitious to say the least.

The 4 Love Record Stores Robyn remix vinyl sold out almost immediately, and this year's Robyn vinyl is pretty much sold out online.

It's probably more a case of Robyn fans not living locally to the shops if they are still there physically.
Reading people chatting online, I'm sure/CERTAIN there's still demand for them if they were available to buy from online shops.

As an aside, NOW is the time when I feel sorry for the acts that haven't sold their RSD stock online, as all interest has truly passed.
The ridiculously overprice KD Lang offering still available everywhere :(

I saw the double vinyl Drag yesterday. Was there anything else?

I think lesbians are probably a bit more shrewd than the gays when it comes to opening their purses for a bit of brightly coloured plastic.

I think it has more to do with the diminished interest. The stuff that sold out in quick time was always going to sell out in quick time. Everything else had a slower shift.

I think there's definitely a degree of this as well. RSD doesn't feel as special as it did a few years ago, even allowing for how it got shafted this year. It will be interesting to see how drops two and three go. I have no idea what other delights are in store.

Drops two and three are minimal, aren't they? I thought it was strange that the majority of stuff was still put into one.

Drops two and three are minimal, aren't they? I thought it was strange that the majority of stuff was still put into one.

All the records were pressed and ready for an April event. They've been sitting in warehouses for months. Everyone needs a return on the pressing costs ASAP. Big labels have spread a few things out but labels that only had a couple of things wanted them to be in the first "drop". Wire bailed out of the event altogether and sold their RSD release through normal channels because they couldn't afford to wait and I don't think they were alone.

The rarest item for me on my wish list was the Mansun one and I got that when the 6pm window opened. Phew.

Not sure what is the official “Robyn” thread right now but have whacked this on again after the Handle Me conversation and I had honestly forgotten how devastating those final, repeated “And. It. Hurts. With. Every. Heartbeat”s are.

Reactions: SDF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom