RSD 2022 + general vinyl discussion

So the list is out for both drop 1 and drop 2. Every year I say I've gone off it etc. but I end up buying a few anyway. But this year's list is especially uninspired. Unless I'm missing anything! I'll get the new Garbage album but I was going to get it anyway. Other than that, meh.

Last edited:
My first look was a massive "MEH" and though there's normally a few things I want, I don't QUEUE- you ALWAYS find the stuff later online and even more so last year with the whole " leftovers go live at 6pm on our website" deal.

I will definitely get the Elton John and Prince albums but beyond that, nothing at all, and if I don't get either of those, I'll LIVE.

SORT OF tempted by Roisin Murphy, but it's bound to get another pressing anyway possibly with better artwork.
THAT SAID my initial pre-order of Roisin Machine has SHOT UP in value since release...

tATu album and the ShyGirl remixes also have my eye...but do I really NEED them..? I'll probably wait to see what goes online afterwards tbh.

Oh ACTUALLY, I might also get the t.a.t.u. album, but only if it's a proper deluxe edition reissue of the original reissue with things like "Ne Ver, Ne Bojsia" on it and all the English versions intact.

Isn't Prince "limited" to, like, 20000 copies or something stupid?
That's almost as ridiculous as the limited Bowie ones they've had on year after year after year at RSD. I think this is the first Bowie-free year! Finally some fatigue has set in.

Oh ACTUALLY, I might also get the t.a.t.u. album, but only if it's a proper deluxe edition reissue of the original reissue with things like "Ne Ver, Ne Bojsia" on it and all the English versions intact.
I DID clock that... :disco:

I could be tempted with Chromatica as well.

My first look was a massive "MEH" and though there's normally a few things I want, I don't QUEUE- you ALWAYS find the stuff later online and even more so last year with the whole " leftovers go live at 6pm on our website" deal.

I will definitely get the Elton John and Prince albums but beyond that, nothing at all, and if I don't get either of those, I'll LIVE.
Oh I like queuing! It's part of the experience. We take coffee thermos and SNACKS (pre-Corona) and end up chatting to other randomers in the queue. It's fun!

That's almost as ridiculous as the limited Bowie ones they've had on year after year after year at RSD. I think this is the first Bowie-free year! Finally some fatigue has set in.

The Bowie stuff has been hilarious- the amount of cheap, online copies you can get from idiot ebay buyers. Kind of overjoyed it's happened in a way. My local shop STILL has copies of various Bowie RSD releases on its shelves NOW.

Chromatica can kiss my ass after the half arsed, shite vinyl versions they pumped out at the time. If they'd have deluxed it, I'd have been in, but NAH.

Unrelated to RSD, but if anybody sees a copy of the recently-announced deluxe pressing of My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' online/in-store I HIGHLY suggest you snatch it if interested in selling on, as it's bound to shoot up in value.

Unrelated but I've just noticed my copy of Kylie Christmas is now worth £200!
She is featured in the current issue of Record Collector as part of their 'vinyls to invest in' list. It's the Light Years Sainsbury's edition they have featured.

Unrelated but I've just noticed my copy of Kylie Christmas is now worth £200!

Apart from the Sainsburys editions, the Kylie trio of Christmas-Aphrodite and Abbey Road are all rare as HEN'S TEETH. Kiss Me Once is also fairly rare and goes for pretty nice prices.

A couple of the Disco ones are going for nice prices too. I've got a sealed copy of the marbled one as my copy was warped and by the time they replaced it, I'd already bought the glow in the dark edition, which I like better. That's already been for £90 on Discogs.

My friend who was working in Cambodia sent me a wish list two years in the only RSD I physically took part in and it was quite good fun though a bit stressful at stores where they made you queue and you knew they only had one copy of the Elastica vinyl for example.

Speaking of Elastica I see there’s a singles box on drop 1 now I’ve looked that I want. I want the Poly Styrene album too.

Chromatica can kiss my ass after the half arsed, shite vinyl versions they pumped out at the time. If they'd have deluxed it, I'd have been in, but NAH.
Actually I just checked and apparently it's priced at £50. She can fuck off!

Unrelated to RSD, but if anybody sees a copy of the recently-announced deluxe pressing of My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' online/in-store I HIGHLY suggest you snatch it if interested in selling on, as it's bound to shoot up in value.

I ordered one of these. It'll be my fourth copy of "Loveless" and, indeed, my fourth mastering of the album.

I have the original vinyl, by the way.

I ordered one of these. It'll be my fourth copy of "Loveless" and, indeed, my fourth mastering of the album.

I have the original vinyl, by the way.

I'm sure an original Loveless must fetch an EYE WATERING sum nowadays :D

I checked after posting in this thread yesterday, the Deluxe Loveless is completely sold out online and is causing some minor meltdowns on Reddit from fans that missed out. I THINK I managed to pre-order a Deluxe, but also bought the 3 x regular vinyl (also now sold out) from the MBV site for SECURITY!

I checked after posting in this thread yesterday, the Deluxe Loveless is completely sold out online and is causing some minor meltdowns on Reddit from fans that missed out. I THINK I managed to pre-order a Deluxe, but also bought the 3 x regular vinyl (also now sold out) from the MBV site for SECURITY!

I think it does but I loved the album and played it silly so it's not going to secure top dollar.

Just pre-ordered the standard vinyl (x1) because, well, it's a must-have album on vinyl and I never owned the original pressing. I'll have to hope that at some point some extra copies of the deluxe may become available... :(

This is the trouble - lack of infrastructure. Everyone feels its a trend that will eventually level off so no-one wants to make the investment and find that the return isn't coming.

The quality of vinyl records is definitely erratic. I generally find that you're better off with a clear or a see-through colour because they have less recycled crap in the mix. Black or opaque colours are definitely more likely to be ropey.

Labels are absolutely cottoning on to the huge resale market of vinyl at the moment aren't they?
This week Sugababes and The Knife have cleared me out for about 70£+ for the reissues of One Touch and Silent Shout once shipping is factored in. I wouldn't normally INDULGE £35ish (including shipping) on a vinyl unless it was uber-special, unfortunately for me they are both KEY ALBUMS for my collection :D

Another example is the new Billie Eilish album priced at about 40£ish out the gate, and the PJ Harvey reissues have crept up from about £17.99 each standard to about 20.99-27.99 depending where you are looking online :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom