RSD 2022 + general vinyl discussion

Second hand record shopping is MUCH MORE EXCITING
Oh I'D say. I have quite the collection of vinyl albums I never knew I wanted on MELODIYA :disco:

On the other hand, second hand CDs don't half look SAD AND DIRTY

Second hand record shopping is MUCH MORE EXCITING

Oh the UNPARALLELED JOY when you hit the PAYDIRT of a DEAD HOMOSEXUAL :disco:

ABSOLUTELY! :D

I still remember the day about 2005 when I popped "UP THE SUE" (Ryder) and spent £50 on second hand CDs, all of which were blatantly the passion of a DEAD GAY. I even dream about that day every now and then.

Nowadays, though, with charity shops knowing what they're up to, it's more exciting when you come across a shop with something AT ALL that isn't a Granny record from the 50s.

I have written to EMI and apparently there are no plans for a half-speed 500g remaster of this. CAN YOU IMAGINE :(

693d969399fa059b4a60d34817f4d2922ca68d3b.jpg

Oh DEAD GAY charity shop finds are the best. I had a life altering 7" frenzy about 9 years ago at TENOVUS which included Sinitta SO MACHO, Kylie What do I HAVE TO DO and Jane Wiedlin's Rush HOUR

There was an advert outside a branch of the Cats Protection League here asking for people to help with valuing vinyl. On a whim I sent an email there and then, thinking it would be quite a NICE thing to do for a few hours a week. I had an email back within minutes, telling me to ask in the shop, but one look at Barbara on the till was enough to tell me we wouldn't get on, so I made my excuses and left.

There was an advert outside a branch of the Cats Protection League here asking for people to help with valuing vinyl. On a whim I sent an email there and then, thinking it would be quite a NICE thing to do for a few hours a week. I had an email back within minutes, telling me to ask in the shop, but one look at Barbara on the till was enough to tell me we wouldn't get on, so I made my excuses and left.
Because I am of course a REAL GIVER, I got a cab to cart my numerous bags of unwanted CDs (the ones which were in good nick) to Oxfam, only for some awful busybody and ALL ROUND TIT to waltz over with eyes rolling and tell me that I WASN’T PUTTING THEM IN THE DONATIONS BOXES IN THE RIGHT WAY :)

Thank God it wasn’t that ghastly Marylebone branch though. Oh the ATMOSPHERE in there

Because I am of course a REAL GIVER, I got a cab to cart my numerous bags of unwanted CDs (the ones which were in good nick) to Oxfam, only for some awful busybody and ALL ROUND TIT to waltz over with eyes rolling and tell me that I WASN’T PUTTING THEM IN THE DONATIONS BOXES IN THE RIGHT WAY :)
I hasten to add that this was STAFF

You know, I’d been through great emotional turmoil - it was fucking awful - deconstructing my lovely collection of CDs which I’d never played AND paid for a cab and I got THAT

Not THANK YOU MR ZU 2 SO KIND

Oh DEAD GAY charity shop finds are the best. I had a life altering 7" frenzy about 9 years ago at TENOVUS which included Sinitta SO MACHO, Kylie What do I HAVE TO DO and Jane Wiedlin's Rush HOUR
Not a very DISCERNING DEAD GAY if he couldn’t splash out on the TWELVES :tongueout:

I still haven’t opened my RSD Chromatica. I hope it’s worth a fortune because I plan on selling that shit.

I keep debating doing this but then I know I’d be ripping them off left right and centre, so perhaps not. :D

I have a few things that fetch high prices but not very many and I didn't buy any of them as an investment. Except maybe that Charli XCX Number 1 Angel/Pop 2 vinyl. I saw that going up and nabbed it while I could.

HMV just seems so redundant in 2021, especially when the major indies have upped their game in comparison.
The record shops that realised a few years back that having a website that's easy to use, good SSEO, competitive prices and the occasional signed/shop-exclusive edition are actively expanding on the mail order side right now.
I imagine for several of them actual opening the doors to the DISGUSTING general public is just an inconvenience these days, as the majority of their sales will be done via online :D

Last edited:
SOMEBODY in Esthonia has sent me a CLEARLY DELIBERATELY SNAPPED AND TORN version of the RSD Chromatica and is demanding FIVE HUNDRED EURO for it!

:enya:

New Jack White helmed record store opening in Soho:

Jack White and Third Man Records have announced the opening of their first ever Third Man Records Store outside the USA.

Situated on Marshall Street in the heart of London's historic Soho, the London store will complete a trio of Third Man physical spaces that includes buildings in Nashville and Detroit.

Located at 1 Marshall Street, the store will officially open to the public on Saturday, September 25. It has been personally designed by Third Man founder Jack White, who recently launched Jack White Arts & Design via a multimedia website cataloguing two decades of his award-winning creative work, alongside the Third Man creative hive of artists.

The store was conceptualised and created throughout 2020 and 2021 during the Covid pandemic, with the aim of creating a physical space to help keep record sales and live performances alive. Vinyl sales are continuing to grow despite the impact of the pandemic on retailers.

Third Man Records London will comprise a two-level retail space, an intimate live music venue named The Blue Basement and a European headquarters for Third Man Records.

Features of the store include a Third Man Records token-operated lucky dip book machine designed by the Toronto-based artist Craig Small. Titled the Literarium, it is only the second of its kind in the world. The store will also feature a Third Man Records token-operated recording booth where artists and the public can record their own material straight to vinyl.

In celebration of the opening, Third Man Records approached some of their favourite ever UK artists - Paul Weller, David Ruffin, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Cornershop, Gina Birch of The Raincoats and the Manchester group The Magic Roundabout - to record something brand new or contribute something previously unheard to the Third Man catalogue.

These exclusive releases will be available to buy on black vinyl on September 25 from the Third Man Webstore (soon to be expanding to the UK/EU), at all three Third Man Records stores, and independent record shops everywhere, and on very limited edition yellow vinyl in the Third Man London store only

Hmmm. I'm kinda tired of this vinyl fetishism but White has put his money where his mouth is, with his own pressing plant and stores. I give him a pass for all that - he's actually investing in vinyl and in music.

In celebration of the opening, Third Man Records approached some of their favourite ever UK artists - Paul Weller, [...] - to record something brand new or contribute something previously unheard to the Third Man catalogue.

PAUL WELLER :disco:

I'd honestly be less horrified by someone liking Paul MCCARTNEY

PAUL WELLER :disco:

I'd honestly be less horrified by someone liking Paul MCCARTNEY

I've tried. I really have, I've given him a fair chance and I do like The Jam but I fucking hate Paul Weller.

At least McCartney has a sense of humour.

I did once have two interludes with a farmer's son who was a Paul McCartney obsessive which was a bit horrifying (the latter not the former :horny:) but I thought, well, I could live with it given the size of your paws and winky and the Lord being very generous with the body hair allocation

Anyway I never saw him again after that. GOOD LUCK FINDING SOMEONE ELSE WHO'D BE AS FORGIVING :)

PSB recently did a decent Paul Weller remix

Aside from that and the solo songs that seemed to pop up on an inordinate amount of Now compilations, I've never felt any need to listen to his solo material

So NATIONAL ALBUM DAY (different to Record Store Day and Love Record Stores Day apparently) is now doing limited edition vinyl (did they do this last year? I thought it was a 6Music takeover thing)

Anyway, annoyingly the female-only list has several titles that I've been meaning to add to my collection for ages and I'm vaguely irritated thinking about my bank account as I clearly will succumb to some of them > https://www.nationalalbumday.co.uk/product/

My HIT LIST -
Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes (already announced)
Garbage - Garbage (pink)
Solange - A Seat At The Table
Marianne Faithful - Broken English

Of possible forum interest -
Róisin Murphy - Róisin Machine (new variant)
Kylie - Fever
Dido - No Angel
Gabrielle - Rise
Titles from: Belinda Carlisle / Debbie Gibson :D / Donna Summer / Eartha Kitt / Kirsty MacCall / Mariah / Patti Smith / Weyes Blood / Sinéad O'Connor / Haim

It's almost like they've TWIGGED there's a PINK POUND in vinyl sales isn't it :D

RSD has jumped the shark. A lot of retailers found a relative lack of enthusiasm this year. The absence of some traditional big-hitters was blamed by some (ie no Bowie, who usually has more than one title and brings the punters) as well as the poor quality of some of the products i.e. no audiophile wants picture discs, outtakes that have been on CD for 20+ years on vinyl 'for the first time!' (big fucking whoop) etc etc. I mean, The Residents' entry this year was actually called 'Leftovers' and had a pic of mouldy food on the cover, arranged to look like the classic logo. A bit on the nose.

The National Album Day list is dreadful - surely everyone who wants these titles has them? Katie Melua? OOOH, they'll be queuing all night for THAT.

Mind you, Fanny Azzuro sounds interesting, mainly because I assumed it was something to do with Drag Race until I saw the cover.

The Debbie Gibson and Eartha Kitt ones are just the recently announced Cherry Red CD reissues, right? I guess it's the best promo they could hope for if they can tie it in to some made-up day

Belinda back to her endless cycle of putting one new recording on a compilation with a bunch of old tracks :D You've heard of Bits n Bobs, now it's time for Belinda's Dribs n Drabs

I don't think Tropical Brainstorm has ever been on vinyl before though, so that's nice

The Donna Summer one is the long since announced one as well isn't it? I think a lot of opportunism is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom