Running Up That Hill vs Wuthering Heights vs Cloudbusting

BIG BUSH BANGER?

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Which is your favourite of the BIG BUSH BANGERS?

DZxy.gif

I mean, these are three of the best songs ever made so I would never want to be the one making the final call on which one is better. "Wuthering Heights" I would put up there with C'est La Vie/Wannabe/Gotta Tell You as incredible debut singles that pack all the punches, but I would put it third here just because of the emotional resonance with the other two songs. "Cloudbusting" is incredible songwriting - I think there are few topics more emotive as an adult than thinking back to your relationship with your parents and the joy/sadness/guilt that you feel as you get older, and the music alone in this song captures that perfectly. "Running Up That Hill" is an absolute mood and in a different frame of mind would be my first choice. It has the best opening line of any song ever.

RUTH is the stronger song objectively, but Cloudbusting has an intelligence and transcendental quality that is astonishing even amongst Kate’s back catalogue. It’s so equally full of HOPE and DESPAIR, REGRET and OPTIMISM. that it takes on an almost sublime quality.

I don’t personally rate Wuthering Heights as highly as the other two but what a phenomenal STATEMENT OF INTENT, I can’t even fathom how a teenager could create such a singular piece of music, there is not, and never will be anything quite like it.

1. Wuthering Heights (honestly what other song can you drunkenly break a rib to in your neighbours garden on New Years Eve?)
2. Running Up That Hill
3. Cloudbusting

Moments of Pleasure is better than all three though..

Last edited:
I’m not sure I can answer this question. I think Babooshka is the next in line for best known. I see The Whole Story is back into the top 20 this week.

Shout out to perennially undervalued HoL single The Big Sky too - a huge angsty teen VoR favourite!

You never understood me
You never really tried…

'Hounds of Love' is better than 'Cloudbusting' (and maybe even 'RUTH' but I would need to sleep on that one.)

I found a fox caught by dogs
He let me take him in my hands
His little heart, it beats so fast
And I'm ashamed of running away

:(

'Hounds of Love' is better than 'Cloudbusting' (and maybe even 'RUTH' but I would need to sleep on that one.)

I found a fox caught by dogs
He let me take him in my hands
His little heart, it beats so fast
And I'm ashamed of running away

:(

Kate Bush’s lyrics have so many moments like this where they sit so well amongst the music that you don’t realise how strange and heartbreaking they are till you see them written down.

• Love
Reactions: GNL
And it never feels LABOURED or difficult for the sake of it, when it so easily could in a less deft hand.

If I could re-live ANY MOMENT of my life it would be seeing Cloudbusting again as the encore to Before the Dawn.
Crying right now remembering it OMgerrd queen plz why do this to us why do you have to be so gooddd————

Reactions: COB
Ugh name a more ICONIC TRIO!

WH and RUTH are 11/10 but Cloudbusting is 12/10

(also in my slightly hungover state I thought for a hot second that people were going on about some deep cut about a girl called Ruth that I would have to go away and look up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom