S13 E11: Pop! Goes the Queen

Tina's lip sync gave me Nina West before No Scrubs if she'd actually had a coffee first

Is it me or should Tina have won that lip sync? Not that I was a fan of hers, but I don't think Utica was better.

Utica absolutely owned that lipsync. She was mesmerizing. Tina in her ugly boxy costume was having a seizure on the stage and looked sad.

Well what is there to say that hasn't already been said? It was a decent episode, I like the commercial challenges (I can't remember last year's one except Heidi though, and Jackie's something something FOR YOU!). And the results were pleasing for the most part.

Like with the makeover challenges, this branding thing means they can drag you or praise you with complete double standards. If you do the usual, you can be unexperimental and expected, or serving your true brand. If you try something new, they can say "I still don't know who you are, you lost your brand", or that you elevated it.

1. Rosé - Really into her now, her humour does it for me, she did exactly what was asked - on brand but more. I mean it didn't all land but I laughed. And the runway was easily the best - Beast couture! I think only her and Utica heard the big about couture. The double win was a GREAT result. Thankfully she had Janned herself so Ru didn't have to. But she was totally happy for Symone and other queens' success, you can see that in Untucked.

2. Symone - I'm really stuck here. I love her, and her runways have been great mostly. But all this talk of branding and getting outside your box, I think Symone just did what she always does. We can get on at Kandy for getting by because the judges like her, but I think Symone has also had that sort of treatment. She's doing what she always does but Ru already liked that humour so she gets a pass. So that's not begrudging her a win, but I'm going to need to see something different too. And that runway was a costume (and not couture).

3. Olivia - Well it's hard not to like her, but I feel she's gone off the boil a bit and struggling more and more. I am sort of pissed at her still for Denali's demise too. Smiley and nice, and ... ? She REALLY needs to answer that question soon.

4. Gottmik - I liked the runway, it felt very polished and interesting. The ad... there was a funnier version of that somewhere, but she didn't really have the vision to execute it. I'm sure her runways will keep her going for a while, but I don't see the imagination off the runway.

5. Utica - She got the booger edit this time, which felt a bit heavy-handed because she had already given herself the booger edit in the ad. Crystal Methyd (i know i know) could be weird, but she also knew what a joke was. Not sure how Utica survived that lip sync but that runway was amazing. THAT was beast couture

6. Kandy - OK an unopposed last place now Tina's gone. I DO feel a bit bad, it's not her fault she's getting the judges' favouritism but she'll get the shit for it. And she has mellowed out a lot since the start of the season. As with Symone, she just sort of leaned into the one-liners that she knows Ru likes, and that's fair in the contest, but I didn't enjoy it any more for it. That runway was a fucking disaster too, for all the good it would've done she should've been in the bottom for that. What is it? Amazon Alien Halloween costume through the lens of Fungus the Bogeyman?! Rubbish!

--
Tina, well I haven't really liked her at all this season, apart from that one dance outfit. I actually thought this runway was one of her better ones, and a departure from her usual, it's a shame they decided the narrative was "you're in a box". Anyway BYE

Gottmik, Utica, Tina, Kandy, Olivia

Ugh at what I'm hearing from the judges (not sank to the sync yet). I'd much rather be an Uttica than a Rosé. I wouldn't want that commercial to make any sense, on her back gulping from the cow udder was something John Waters wishes he had thought of for Divine in Polyester. Also: just the worst runway ever, all of it looks off Ebay let alone off the rack. Uttica, Rose and Gottmik probably the best on the runway, with Olivia at a push (down the stairs). Drag has never felt so homogenized.

Symone sailing through. Her ad was the best. The Caramel Rabbit Slut vibes of the runway almost did it for me, but it was just another furrie (is that how they spell it?) costume.

Omg poor Utica is doomed next week, isn't she?

Symone is another league. Fucking hell the confident, professional humour of her ad, it was a cut above. But that fox...why the easy ride? They could still have given her the win whilst not pretending that was anything other than a bit shit.

I think Tina was very hard done by. Her ad was fine - better than several. I think the difference between hers and Rosé was actually very minimal so the gaping chasm in criticisms was way off for me. I don't especially care, I don't like her, but it just wasn't bottom 2. That outfit on plenty of other queens would have been praised. Like on Kandy. Kandy comes out like utter shit but it's okay, it's "hilarious", but Tina is ripped apart. However Kandy's ad made me laugh a little I'll admit.

Utica in anything other than looks is not suited to Drag Race format, sadly, even though the baffling nonsense of her ad cracked me up more than some of the generic ones. I can't see her doing anything different on a future Allstars, but I do think she'll be remembered and has carved out a niche, of sorts.

I'd have put Gotmikk and Olivia bottom 2, the latter is increasingly boring as fuck and both their adverts were worse than Utica's conceptual piece, at least Utica's was BATSHIT and fun.

I think Tina's problem was that her ad had way too many ideas going on. It was more like a 45 second soap opera than a commercial.

2. Symone - I'm really stuck here. I love her, and her runways have been great mostly. But all this talk of branding and getting outside your box, I think Symone just did what she always does. We can get on at Kandy for getting by because the judges like her, but I think Symone has also had that sort of treatment. She's doing what she always does but Ru already liked that humour so she gets a pass. So that's not begrudging her a win, but I'm going to need to see something different too. And that runway was a costume (and not couture).

I think in most respects drag queens do the same thing and act themselves. Bianca for example had a particular personality and style and used it throughout. Even the likes of Alaska and Katya always did things that were very on brand for them. Ru makes things confusing by saying to "think out of the box" and "bring us something different" while making sure they stay "true to themselves" :D

The difference with Symone and Kandy is that Symone's style and humour is layered with so much more creativity, intelligence and exceptional delivery in a way that Kandy just cannot. Symone might be doing Symone...but what that means is a truly RICH experience personally, someone who really gets it and brings some depth to the challenges. Not saying she's infallible, but she's just a really clever, confident bitch who knows her USP and adapts it to each task. That's the perfect drag queen for me.

Whereas, Kandy doing Kandy...means something a whole lot shallower, messier and undeveloped. And I don't even dislike her as much as some posters here!

I was laughing at Tina biting on the cross pretending to be getting ploughed by a priest. And speaking of, that guy is definitely one of my admittedly many many types. It does seem that if you give the producers too much it's basically hanging yourself out to dry, not that I thought Tina was anything but a safe queen this week. I kind of wish we had seen Gottmik lip sync (safely to victory) as Uttica isn't really a lip syncer to me. Kandy, Kandy, Kandy I can let you go. When she said about season 1's later released backstage footage I had to rewind as I actually thought she was saying dick pics leaked at a later date and hadn't been paying enough attention to hear the set up.

Yeah but she's ACTUALLY funny and couture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom