S13 E13: Henny, I Shrunk the Drag Queens

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Well that was expected. The performances were all equal, everyone was playing themselves and I didn’t get a single laugh out of that scene (mildly amused at Gotmik and Rosé) but it was also not a cringe fest.

The runways were the determining factor and Kandi looked awful. The wig, the makeup, the thing she was wearing. Olivia also didn’t fit the brief.

Thought Olivia did better in the actual lipsync but it didn’t matter.

I thought Symone was easily the best overall, especially considering she had a part that would have ordinarily gotten lost, and giving the win to Rosé just felt as though they were spreading things out so that Symone wasn't going into the top four with five wins. Rosé is good at most things, but she isn't exciting, and the comedic faces she threw into this and into the branding challenge and even into Snatch Game I'm finding quite annoying. And I know they're all saying that she's loosened up, but it still feels overwraught and clinical. Maybe it's a New York thing, maybe I just don't get it, maybe it isn't for me to get, I don't know.

But then, even at that she was clearly number two, because I felt that Gottmik was quite bad in that acting challenge(?). They made a comparison to Kandy in the critique, saying that Gottmik had levels to her performance, but did she? It was the same vocal fry and delivery the whole way through. Kandy was monotonous but Gottmik and Olivia were irritating. Gottmik did have a spectacular runway though, whereas Kandy's was messy.

It was Olivia's time to go, but she did herself proud in the lip sync.

Overall the episode was fine. It was another acting challenge and it wasn't particularly funny, but Gottmik and Symone had great looks, the lip sync was fun and it was nice seeing Symone do well again.

Ranking:
1. Symone

2. Gottmik

3. Rosé
4. Kandy

Last edited:
The acting challenge was terrible as usual, but Olivia was the definite worst. It was the right time to go for her and though the lip sync was good from both, Kandy won it.

But I actually loved that wig on Kandy, just like when she had that black wig on in the musical and it landed her in the bottom. She looks more villainy and strict in short straight hair, it gives her character. I even wanted her to survive the lipsync over Olivia.

The correct bottom two and the correct elimination.

In the interest of fairness, I will say that it seems strange for Kandy to finally be singled out for playing to type on the one week Symone, Gottmik and Olivia were all just as guilty of it. Only Rose brought something we'd not already seen a few times over.

Is the top four the final?

There are 3 episodes left, so next could have a nomination then reunion and actual finale (not sure which one comes first).

Symone won that challenge. Fingers crossed Olivia has the sense to wait a year or two before coming back for All Stars!

Her drag race journey has been a bit similar to Gigi’s. However, unless I remember it wrong, Gigi dominated her season more than Symone.
I think Gottmik will win, which could mean an interesting scenario of having the two drag sisters in same All stars season.

I think I want Gotmik to win, I’ve warmed up to them over the last few weeks Abd they seem to be more well rounded.

I keep getting an error message! It already was delayed even appearing.

Edit: okay it's on.

Last edited:
A truly terrible episode. Get a better writing team NOW!

Symone is great, but I fancy a Rose win. She's brought it every week to some degree and never been in the bottom. I assume she's a HOT lip syncer.

Love that severe looking duck face she has in drag. It’s very Ruth Wilson in His Dark Materials.

Rose and Gottmik are definitely more likeable than in the beginning, but Symone is still untouchable. She looks, walks and talks like victory.

I nearly had to turn it off, I was so scared for Symone, I couldn't bear it. After last week, then the meltdown, then not getting the character she wanted, then clearly not being arsed about the part and seemingly phoning it in and having a face on her all episode...it screamed disaster, and after all that, I still think she was lucky that a) the challenge was fucking dreadful with zero laughs across the board (one of the worst ever for me) and b) everyone else was a bit shit/one note as well. Luckily her runway was perfection.

I wish Ru would just acknowledge a DRAB WEEK more often and the fact they had to make someone the winner although I get that would undermine Rosé. But it wasn't a winning performance, no one was, although I thought Gottmik was marginally better because of the outfit and the fact she had more to do. Wasn't a fan of Rosé's look, it looked cheap and ill-fitting to me, 60s vibe or not.

I didn't think Olivia was that bad, but her look was completely redundant and jesus christ at Kandy :D Her messy runways have been one of the accidental highlights of the episode, and thank god because at least one thing was funny this week.

Great lip sync song hacked to pieces, no surprise there.

Correct result. The writing on these challenges is so stagnant, it really was a nothing of an episode.

It's rather odd to say the queens should be more elevated at this point in the game. They are basically stuck with the outfits they have prepared. Why not bring back more make-up workroom walkthroughs? Kandy's body language on stage suddenly made me really feel for her - they are so vulnerable if they don't take it or deflect it to a way the judges will accept, etc.

Anyway, I'm just so glad Symone survived that wobbly edit.

Obviously, if the Lipsynch for the Crown song is (as it should be) Babylon, Symone has this in the bag. She will be giving us Elektra from the Haus of Abundance for the Gawds dahling.

That lip sync was a chorus too long. Just imagine if we had got Save Up All Your Tears (with 2 far more compelling queens).

I'm still seeing Rosé as a very distant third to the Symone/Gottmik train, regardless that she has three wins and never been in the bottom. She feels like a classic case of efficient queen but not actually that interesting. She has absolutely earned her right to be there, though, and I still kind of like her. Also by far the most :horny: in boy form.

I suspect Gottmik is the clear favourite though, and at this stage I wouldn't be that mad. But it feels like Symone needs/wants it more..

Next week I'm assuming it goes to plan and Kandy is out. Symone will probably struggle but get pushed through, with Rosé or Gottmik winning. Hoping I'm wrong and Symone delivers, otherwise she'll be all downbeat for the final.

Also maybe it's just me but I find these video calls from whichever celeb eternally filler-esque and dreary. They usually feel awkward and have zero use whatsoever. Scarlet was nice but...so? I'd rather a shit mini challenge.

Raining On Me said:
Next week I'm assuming it goes to plan and Kandy is out. Symone will probably struggle but get pushed through, with Rosé or Gottmik winning. Hoping I'm wrong and Symone delivers, otherwise she'll be all downbeat for the final.
Cut to Kandy in the Final Three.

I'm having flashbacks to Eureka causing distant tsunamis with her "dancing" in her season's LS for the Crown. I'm triggered.

Also maybe it's just me but I find these video calls from whichever celeb eternally filler-esque and dreary. They usually feel awkward and have zero use whatsoever. Scarlet was nice but...so? I'd rather a shit mini challenge.
Ru's ego can't help but relish a bunch of bland A-list w-hite girls trying to throw themselves on the drag bandwagon.

The worst thing about this season is they've sent Kandi off thinking she's talented.

I'm also torn cuz winning can often just END a queen's career and I don't want that for Symone. While being a non-winning finalist grants you more goodwill and anticipation for your next step.

Since we’ve already had about 20 seasons of drag race and seen pretty much everything, I don’t find Symone and Gottmik half as exciting as they would have been had I not watched any drag race prior to this one.

On the other hand, there’s something a bit ”off” and different about Rosé’s character that makes her interesting and exciting.

Right. Underneath all that drag and camp, Rose is a douchey white boy through and through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom