Sam Sparro - Black And Gold

wooooaaoOOOOOOOHHHH

• Total voters

Marilyn

User
This religious anthem is nearly A DECADE OLD

I was just thinking today about the brief period of about four weeks where it seemed like Sam Sparro would be a legitimately great pop star. Sam's big opening peaked at #2 in the UK and spent almost a year on the chart (!), then received a Grammy nomination, but I'm not sure if the general public would remember it that well? I don't have my book of stats at hand so maybe someone else can shed some light on that question

The album was one of the most disappointing comedowns in history though, I remember thinking it was going to be a masterpiece and it was truly anything but. 21st Century Life was such a completely SHIT follow up single, I just relistened for the first time in years and those lyrics are just as :manson: as they were in 2008. Then he went off on Madonna in some magazine and that was it for me and old SAMMY

Black And Gold remains one of the best songs of the MILLENNIUM though, nothing can change that. How do you feel about this oldie but goodie?

"I Wish I Never Met You" off the second album was great too, but nobody cared by then :(

I love it, it makes me feel very nostalgic for that period where pop music was becoming really GOOD again but hadn't quite exploded.

It's a great song. There's something very inherently GAY about it. And that video is something else.

Haven't heard that album but I always thought he would've made the better gay-pop star than Adam Lambert.

Oh a great, if mostly forgotten, song. It feels like he was always destined to be a one hit wonder with a name like that though.

Haddaway by way of Will Young. I didn't stick around for the follow ups - the styling for the next single was just hideous.

I loved it but I totally agree that the album was a huge disappointment. There was nothing to enjoy on it.

I really fancied him off the back of this video, but watching it now it's mostly suggestion and shadows, you barely see his face properly!

I loved it but I totally agree that the album was a huge disappointment. There was nothing to enjoy on it.

I really fancied him off the back of this video, but watching it now it's mostly suggestion and shadows, you barely see his face properly!

He had that sort of sexy but possibly smelly indiepop star vibe, skinny jeans, a frisson of homosexualité (was that clear at the time? He is gay, right?) probably big nob

He had that sort of sexy but possibly smelly indiepop star vibe, skinny jeans, a frisson of homosexualité (was that clear at the time? He is gay, right?) probably big nob
I'm pretty sure I knew he was gay at the time but I'm not totally sure why, I think it was just known

He’s married (to a man) so yaz
Messy with his ageist Madonna comments at the time

10! Absolutely loved this, when it kicks in its just :disco::disco: Also really liked 'Pocket' and 'Too Many Questions' but the rest of the album was bad

Messy and yet I bet if she had “reached out” to work with him he would have been eating his words like there’s no tomorrow.

Madonna Gays don’t forget and we certainly don’t forgive.

His last album was an absolute joy. But it was all nu disco and 80s pastiche so naturally I’m all in

I saw him supporting Robyn in Manchester shortly after this was a hit. At the time I was mildly puzzled he took the gig given B&G was a bigger hit than she ever had. But in the long term obviously she had the much more significant career. :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom