Samantha Mumba -Baby Come Over (This Is Our Night)

BABY I'M WAITING THERE'S NO HESITATING TONIGHT....

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
In the grand scheme of things, this is clearly the third-fourth best Samantha Mumba single.

But I have become quite obsessed lately by early 00s flash-in-the-pan acts who clearly had untold amounts of money FLUNG at them after an initial whiff of US success and this definitely qualifies in that regard. :D That video!

It really is a shame she couldn't sustain it though. Love her voice, but the material post that first album was SHOCKING. I feel like today she'd be given a few more chances.

Last edited:
She's so pretty, but the music they gave her was so basic. I always saw her as Europe's Christina Milian.

I do like that David Bowie sampling one though.

Yeah I often wonder how Body II Body or Always Come Back would have fared in America, but neither got a chance. (Gotta Tell You got to #4, this got to #49).

She's so pretty, but the music they gave her was so basic. I always saw her as Europe's Christina Milian.

I do like that David Bowie sampling one though.

Did Christina Milian not come after Samantha Mumba? :confused:

A solid 8 for me. Her music was very much of its time, and hasn’t aged well but I do still go back and listen to the singles from her album now and again. Why did she just stop after a number 5 hit? I’m assuming she just wasn’t feeling it? I’m Right Here was pretty bad, but it still got to number 5 in a time when chart positions mattered. Or was getting to number 5 on the chart seen as a disappointment by then?

Weirdly I watched The Time Machine the other day, kind of rubbish but she was alright in that. Never saw her act again though! (Not entirely sure I saw her act in that film either :basil: just lucky the Eloi could sound Irish)

The turn of the century pop girls (I'm including Justin Timberlake in this) loved a squelchy dance break.

I love this. She should've definitely tried with "Body II Body" or "Lately" and "Always Come Back to Your Love" after this in America. It feels like it was much bigger than the #49 peak suggests.

I love this. She should've definitely tried with "Body II Body" or "Lately" and "Always Come Back to Your Love" after this in America. It feels like it was much bigger than the #49 peak suggests.

It was so frustrating that she went with this in America while ACBTYL was right there! The album version of BCO was already flat and unremarkable, it's not like the single remix treatment did it any favors.

I remember the video had heavy airplay on the Disney Channel and that's when it hit me that they were marketing her to children instead of teens though it's not like the lyrics to this were more PG-13 than the other singles; I don't know, she was handled so badly. Not to play the race card but, the fact she was a black singer doing bubblegum pop was also quite a head-scratcher for the record company hence why they tried going down the r&b route? The final nail was releasing that awful self empowerment ballad Don't Need You To Tell Me I'm Pretty (jesus, what a chore to type that!) as a single with no video :basil:

Gotta Tell You and Always Come Back To Your Love are such utterly imperial pop songs that this felt very dialled in by comparison.

I recently found out that Don’t Need You To Tell Me I’m Pretty was covered by Carnie Wilson in a failed (and quite late) attempt to launch her solo career

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom