Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You

It was just something in your EYES, that made me REALISE...

• Total voters
"Gotta Tell You" is jolly good, that much is sure. Halli is right in that a tiny something is missing but I think it always felt like that to me. Nonetheless, it is cool pop with a little bit of an edge which absolutely delivers in spades the kind of pop glory the fromage fraganced "Always Come Back To Your Love" and "Baby Come On Over" could only hope to sniff at.

"I'm Right Here" used to be second favourite SamMum track of choice, though I'm not even going to attempt to rise to POP!'s challenge to defend Woman. It's ultimately not very good.

I thought Body II Body was well cool at the time, though in retrospect it's pretty watered down.

10 Gotta Tell You
08 Body II Body
11 Always Come Back To Your Love
08 Baby Come Over
07 Lately
05 I'm Right Here

"Body II Body" was pretty slick effort. Full marks for securing the sample which absolutely enhances the song without taking it over. I love the original though so can never divorce it from that.

"Always Come Back To Your Love" is awfully tinny though with a shocking vocal performance and lots of late 90s production tropes which I find unbearable these days.

I was listening to this with friends just last night. A spectacular pop song. The Sleazesisters mix could be used to revive people from deep comas or the brink of death. It's EPIC. :disco:

Short clip of her current Irish single - her first hit in over a decade.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EmYYgPKtls8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bitch is looking GOOD. Song is a bit dull though.

This 'The Hit' show sounds quite intriguing, though I doubt it'd work in the UK.

In each episode, six chosen songwriters pitch their songs to two established artists in "The Pitching Rooms". The two artists go into each room and listen to the song. Upon exiting the artist can "lock in" their choice or leave the choice open. Each artist must lock in two songs.
The artists meet with both songwriters and discuss possible changes to the song to make it more suitable to the artist releasing the song. The artist produces one song and their choice is revealed when they return to the live show to perform their chosen song.
The two artists then enter a "chart battle" where the song chosen by the artist is available for download. The song which receives the most downloads goes through to the grand finale, where the songs will be performed again with the RTE Concert Orchestra and viewers will then choose "The Song Of The Series", thus "The Ultimate Hit". The winning songwriter receives a €20,000 prize.

Last edited:
I rather liked Smumba and her brief chart run. I'd assumed she was American based on the video and was literally AGOG when I heard her accent during an interview. I never knew there were black folk in Ireland.

I saw her mime the nylon out of this the day before she flopped in at #2.

Bitch is looking GOOD. Song is a bit dull though.

This 'The Hit' show sounds quite intriguing, though I doubt it'd work in the UK.

To be fair, the song choices were quite weak, this really was the best of the lot in terms of ones she could do.

kinda ot but do you guys remember the days when messageboards woud get closed for publishing midweeks?
lol

Gotta Tell You peaked at #4 in America.

Indeed, I think it was #1 on the sales chart from memory. Which wouldn't have been huge sales by the time it was charting (about 30-40k a week), but still impressive.

FABULOUS tune anyway. For a ropey little thing she produced some great songs, but there was something about her that just didn't seem to really gel as far as a long-term pop act went.

"Baby Come on Over" always seemed like a rather big hit here too and that only peaked at #49 on the Hot 100. But maybe they never gave that one a formal commercial release?

Do we know how much the album sold?

I loved her back in the day but for me this is her only hit which is STILL a 10/10 moment.

"Baby Come on Over" always seemed like a rather big hit here too and that only peaked at #49 on the Hot 100. But maybe they never gave that one a formal commercial release?

Do we know how much the album sold?

Yeah I think it was radio only, and 2001 wasn't the best time for pure pop on the Hot 100. It did get to #13 on the CHR charts so it was definitely a (moderate) hit. The fact that Don't Need You To Tell Me I'm Pretty and I'm Right Here were both top 40 radio hits showed that there was more goodwill towards her than a standard one hit wonder, she just didn't release the right songs. I'm sure Body 2 Body or Always... could have been decent US hits.

The album peaked at 67 in America. Probably sold around 300,000 I'd say, given the high sales at the time and the fact that there were two radio hits from it.

Last edited:
Don't Need You To Tell Me I'm Pretty received a physical release, I even bought it for something ridiculous like 75 cents or so.

It was the soundtrack to Legally Blonde :D AND it included the US Remix of that dreadful song "The Boy" replacing her brother OMERO MUMBA with will.I.am :grr: CUNT

51T3NdaIJ3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I like how that CD cover is a cheap screengrab from a previous single. :D

Clearly expecting BIG THINGS from that release!

OT: I love when a poll like this is overwhelmingly positive, and then there's miserable old Eileen, lone contrarian voice in the wilderness. :D

Been revisiting 'Always Come Back to Your Love' a lot lately. I love that intro. 'Body II Body' is also a TUNE.

I HATE that Body 2 Body is not on Spotify, clearly a sign that BOWIE was never a fan

This has just popped up on my late night/insomnia Spotify playing. What a fucking EPIC song. I remember being GUTTED when she didn't make number one, despite me blatantly placing this at the front of the store in Virgin and having a full rack in the singles department - I was in charge of the singles department in Virgin Megastores at the weekend, which was a DREAM job for a 21 year old gay. She was meant to come and do a signing in the Glasgow store around the time of the album release but she cancelled. Probably couldn't be ARSED. I also saw her 'perform' this at London Mardi Gras as it was called then, and she came on stage, started miming to the song and then the CD broke! :D

The middle eight of this knocks my socks off to this day. It is absolute pop perfection.

Reactions: VoR
Don't Need You To Tell Me I'm Pretty received a physical release, I even bought it for something ridiculous like 75 cents or so.

It was the soundtrack to Legally Blonde :D AND it included the US Remix of that dreadful song "The Boy" replacing her brother OMERO MUMBA with will.I.am :grr: CUNT

51T3NdaIJ3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

can I just say what horrid parentheses these are - why wouldn’t you call it “Don’t need you (to tell me I’m pretty)”?

Great but still not as great as Always Come Back to Your Love

Currently trending on Tiktok and Twitter because of this :D

Last edited:
Still amazing and really doesn’t get as much general public love as it should for quite a big international hit.

She was oddly great live at Hoopla, given how many rubbish performances have been posted from her hey day.

This song has been in my Spotify Wrapped playlist every year for the past three or four years. One of the best pop songs of the late 90s/early 00s and still stands up today.

Her album was actually pretty decent for album of that genre. Between the US album and ‘The Collection’ pretty much her full discography is online.

One of my favourite tracks was ‘The Way It Makes You Feel’ where she sings ‘They Way I Like It’ constantly throughout the song and not the title of the song which used to irk me so much and I was sure they’d just got the title of the song wrong on the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom