San Marino 2021: A Post Mortem

I predicted a while back that this would be a danger zone qualifier and not do much in the final...and that's pretty much exactly what happened :D

She's been GREAT FUN, but I never got the hype or saw it as anything approaching a possible winner :D It was just a bit of fun for the fans, but the song wasn't ever going to score big votes and Flo Rida really isn't that big a deal for most people either :D

But I'm glad she had fun, and I hope she tries again one day/next year because frankly WHY NOT!

I certainly got swept away in the hype over the last week; it didn't do a load for me before that.

Just re-watching the jury votes and I totally forgot she randomly got a 12 from Poland!

The second jury to vote too - poor cow must have thought she'd be in for plenty more :(

Polish jury gave her about a fifth of her entire vote tally.

Regardless of the result I hope Panini reward with a lifetime of SHINIES.

Malta giving their 12 to Albania too...

giphy.gif

Malta giving their 12 to Albania too...

giphy.gif

I do wonder about these sort of things, could this be a bit of cultural exchange and diaspora? They’re only just across the pond aren’t they?

and they both have languages that use X too much

I do wonder about these sort of things, could this be a bit of cultural exchange and diaspora? They’re only just across the pond aren’t they?

Malta has a Semitic language.

OMG their first two entries in 1971 and 1972 were the only times they’ve used it (and they came dead last and never sued it again!)
Racist Europe was so racist back then (see how they treated poor Turkey). I wish they'd use their language again.

Albanian language doesn't have a X sound in it.
Spanish (jamon) Greek (χωριό) Maltese (habbejt) and Hebrew (hamelekh) do.
Also note worthy is that one of the most characteristic traits of an Albanian accent in spoken Greek is to use a K phoneme to substitute for the lack of X.

Just re-watching the jury votes and I totally forgot she randomly got a 12 from Poland!

The second jury to vote too - poor cow must have thought she'd be in for plenty more :(

Random seeming until you see that the Sammarinese jury gave Poland 12 in the semi (!) and you remember she went over to Poland and sang with Rafał... maybe they made some deal while there too.

On the other hand I just googled Enver Hoxha, and the audio on googletranslate suggests they properly use the X sound in letter H, so they do have it.

Random seeming until you see that the Sammarinese jury gave Poland 12 in the semi (!) and you remember she went over to Poland and sang with Rafał... maybe they made some deal while there too.

It really is RIDDLED with this shit, isn't it? :D

Albanian language doesn't have a X sound in it.
Spanish (jamon) Greek (χωριό) Maltese (habbejt) and Hebrew (hamelekh) do.
Also note worthy is that one of the most characteristic traits of an Albanian accent in spoken Greek is to use a K phoneme to substitute for the lack of X.

thanks!
I got confused with another language I guess! (Especially because the Albanian singer is Anxhela :D)

Last edited:
Honestly, it's very easy to overdo things in post-mortem and start pretending this must have had massive issues. It just wasn't that many people's favourite song of the night! It also had the poor luck (along with most of the other gay favourites) of being in a year where there was a total glut of gay faves to vote for that were all roughly as good as each other.

Honestly, it's very easy to overdo things in post-mortem and start pretending this must have had massive issues. It just wasn't that many people's favourite song of the night! It also had the poor luck (along with most of the other gay favourites) of being in a year where there was a total glut of gay faves to vote for that were all roughly as good as each other.

closing the show didn’t seem to help either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom