Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

Penny casually reminding me that his politics chat back in the day used to DO MY TITS IN like nothing else. :D

Ever the disconnected Labour-supporting Southerner :disco:

(05 - Penelope Stagnant)

Penny casually reminding me that his politics chat back in the day used to DO MY TITS IN like nothing else. :D

Ever the disconnected Labour-supporting Southerner :disco:

(05 - Penelope Stagnant)
Like I said, I was saying it as a reason to Ag NOT THE Scots :oi:

Cherry is a self-important narcissist and utterly charisma-free. Scottish Independence on 55+% and the SNP set for a landslide victory in the elections - and she has her eye on Nicola’s job?! She doesn’t care about anything but her own career.

She's an absolute rocket. If Sturgeon warned the public not to drink straight out of the Clyde, Cherry would be demanding pints of unfiltered Clyde water were being served in the pubs by the end of the day.

The article in the Scotsman today from Joanna Cherry saying that Scotland doesn’t have to have a referendum to become independent and could follow the Irish route is so fucking dangerous

as someone who is pro independence I absolutely would contest this, and find her absolutely detestable

Maybe I’m becoming more of a unionist than I thought :D I eyerolled throughout though and just find her quite a scary politician :(

Oh make no mistake she's awful, but I don't think the comparison to Ireland is unfair. In terms of parliamentary procedure, it's the only place that has become independent from the UK that had representation in Westminster to begin with (I think). If MPs are elected on a manifesto explicitly to negotiate independence I don't think it's undemocratic either.

However, if the house won't grant permission to have a referendum, I don't see them negotiating for independence without one either. I think the pathway that tries to give legal sovereignty to the Scottish Parliament without the need for Westminster at all is the better alternative path if a section 30 isn't granted.

So, with not much time until the elections, Richard Leonard (who?) has resigned and there will be a leadership contest. I'm assuming Anas Sarwar will lead them to defeat now.

Maybe I’m becoming more of a unionist than I thought :D I eyerolled throughout though and just find her quite a scary politician :(

She's a transphobic, self-interested moron. Ignore everything she has to say.

She's a transphobic, self-interested moron. Ignore everything she has to say.

Agree she’s awful. But I do think she is a likely future leader which is a scary thought.

Agree she’s awful. But I do think she is a likely future leader which is a scary thought.

Is she fuck. Honestly, if the SNP get rid of Nicola they are fucked. Only Mhairi Black stands out to me as matching her charisma and she sadly remains far too young.

Salmond is a creep who hates Sturgeon's success - she has taken the SNP to levels that he couldn't have managed in a dozen leaderships. Yes, ther SNP had a post Indyref bounce after "The Vow" was binned immediately after the result but a lot of credit needs to be given to Sturgeon for that *not* being a dead cat bounce.

I don’t think the SNP landslide is that unexpected. They have at least 40% of the electorate sewn up who want independence, and then there are those who support Sturgeon’s handling of the pandemic.

Scotland hasn’t really handled the pandemic any better than England, but what Nicola has done throughout the pandemic is step up to be a leader, something that has been completely lacking in all other parties both in Scotland and the rest of the UK

Interesting that it seems like the Joanna Cherry's of the party are causing enough of an impact on the membership significant enough for Sturgeon to comment. I wonder if this will blow up properly before the election.

I believe it's a response to this:

Tory and Labour MSPs also put forward their own transphobic/TERFy amendments :zombie: Why are these people EVERYWHERE on this accursed island?

I'd definitely seen a lot of furore about it on social media for the past few days - I'm glad she's said something, but I do think that Cherry and pals will keep pushing their shit before the election.

I've said it before: the SNPs transphobia problem is very similar to Labour's antisemitism problem and it will be absolutely weaponised against them. Sturgeon will not be able to remove Cherry and her ilk and it will be headline stuff before the election in May, used to underscore their divisions which will, in turn, become about Sturgeon's "failure to lead".
I am seriously anxious about this being an election issue because it will turn into violence once the right wing press decide this is their lead story with which they can bury Sturgeon.

Reactions: GNL
I just find it so weird that Cherry is pushing this in the run up to an election, isn't there a huge risk it will be seen as the blatant power grab it clearly is, splinter the party and hurt their chances? You'd think they would at least shut up until after May... of course it's entirely possible she just has absolutely dogshit political instincts.

It's partly personal. Cherry hates that Sturgeon didn't back Salmond. Also, Cherry wants control of the SNP before May but is extremely unlikely to get it.

Cherry's calculation is that people will vote SNP anyway, that their support values independence over everything else. The exodus from the party over the last few days is proving her wrong but she won't listen.

I just find it so weird that Cherry is pushing this in the run up to an election, isn't there a huge risk it will be seen as the blatant power grab it clearly is, splinter the party and hurt their chances? You'd think they would at least shut up until after May... of course it's entirely possible she just has absolutely dogshit political instincts.
It's the same with the Salmond stuff. Surely, if their priority was independence above all else, they'd ignore their differences until after they'd achieved it, since it is so likely at the momen.

It's partly personal. Cherry hates that Sturgeon didn't back Salmond. Also, Cherry wants control of the SNP before May but is extremely unlikely to get it.

There is this but then there’s also the fact that Cherry is clearly a complete and utter egomaniac.

I’m also less certain that it can used to bury the SNP because that would require the average person giving one iota of a fuck about trans people. And the difference with this and the Labour antisemitism issue is that politics in Scotland remain divided down independence or union supporting lines. This whole issue may drive a few younger voters towards the Greens (it already has) but if someone supports independence they aren’t going to vote Tory or Labour because of this.

If the SNP oust Nicola prior to the inevitable referendum, never mind the election, then they are ultimately damaging the cause for independence. She remains the party’s greatest asset. The only person that comes close charisma-wise is Mhairi Black, who will inevitably lead the party in ten years or so.

Last edited:
What the ENTIRE FUCK at ALL THIS?

In a way, i’m glad that something has gone far enough to force Nicola’s hand and force her to speak out. There is no plausible deniability or blanket of “women’s rights” here, it is quite blatantly transphobic and younger party members are disgusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom