Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

Explicitly trying to take advantage of the voting system:

(Although does a supermajority have any practical relevance other than just more votes in the chamber?)

I could be missing something, but after reading this and the wikipedia page on the Scottish Parliament, this would lead to a better chance of a pro-independence supermajority right?

I could be missing something, but after reading this and the wikipedia page on the Scottish Parliament, this would lead to a better chance of a pro-independence supermajority right?
It has been an idea that has been floated around before, and it isn't in and of itself, a bad idea. The greens kind of fill that space.

Salmond at the head though? Awful.

Provided they don’t do abysmally (say <5%), then yes.

Not many things require a super-majority legally though. My guess it would be a more symbolic achievement (although one tainted by it having been achieved by arguably gaming the system rather than a landslide support for independence - you would still be able to point to a roughly 50-50 split in the votes actually cast).

Reactions: RJN
There we go. TERFyness confirmed.

They have a paper about sex-based rights out next week.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see such an obvious attempt to game the system at the front and centre of Boris Johnson's arguments as to why he shouldn't grant a second referendum if the pro-independence parties do end up with a majority.

There we go. TERFyness confirmed.

They have a paper about sex-based rights out next week.
It always surprises how QUICK these sort of organisations are to start bandying these views around. Says everything about who they're trying to capture. I mean what has SEX-BASED RIGHTS got to do with independence?

Does this not just split the pro-independence vote on the list making it more likely for a Yoon to slip through?

It always surprises how QUICK these sort of organisations are to start bandying these views around. Says everything about who they're trying to capture. I mean what has SEX-BASED RIGHTS got to do with independence?
They are quite literally trying to provide a political home for people who support independence but not trans rights. Exhausting.

I am finding the inevitability of my dad voting for this shower of cunts genuinely very upsetting and hard to stomach.

In terms of who this party hurts the most, assuming they take enough votes off the SNP and SNP alone, then these are who are at the bottom but still got elected last time.

Like even if you tell him they want to deny rights to trans people? :(
He spends lot of his time reading the Scottish political blogosphere so he is well-aware of the current “culture war.” It’s not a simple case of ignorance.

Last time I spoke to him, he said that he wasn’t interested in that argument and avoided content on it on those sites. Inevitably, he will give them his list vote in the name of supermajority. To me that reads as caring more about independence than your own child.... especially when he could just go both votes SNP.

I support independence but not for the sake of independence. All pretences of a more socially just society are out the window for me as soon as you start excluding trans people - the independent Scotland that Salmond wants is just another country where trans people are not welcome.

Surely Salmond has limited appeal these days?

I know it's too early to say, but surely this vanity project is going nowhere. I am happy to be corrected, as I probably know more about American politics than Scottish.

Going to have to wait and see what the YouGov polls for the list vote look like in about a month, i’d say.

Surely Salmond has limited appeal these days?

I know it's too early to say, but surely this vanity project is going nowhere. I am happy to be corrected, as I probably know more about American politics than Scottish.

However these things will change now that campaigning is properly underway

Salmond only needs limited appeal. If he gets anything above 6%, especially if focussed in the right regions, it results in more independence MSPs.

So the make up of the UK Parliament has changed a little, with an SNP MP moving to the Alba Party

BBC News - MP Kenny MacAskill quits SNP for new Alba Party

The SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford said: "He has been an increasing embarrassment to many in the SNP and his departure is somewhat of a relief.

Won't be passing a card around the office then :D

I've not heard the 'vuh' sound before, but that's generally how I've heard it pronounced on TV etc - 'Al-uh-puh'.

Well I'd personally love a Scots Gaelic revival out of this. Can't wait for the Highlands vs Lowlands referendum to ensue.

Al-uh-pu-du-gra...

*drowned out by sea of phlegm sounds*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom