SDF's Top 50 Pop Songs of 2020 (4 Basics)

SDF

We're all Angles in Chainz
Isn't it quite ridiculous that I have been on Moopy for 16 years and never done a countdown?! @Jark The Herald Angels Sing COULD NEVER

I've been compiling my songs of the year, which has quite frankly given me sleepless nights

DISCLAIMER: This countdown will be like choosing between the unpopular kids at school for P.E.

ARE YOU READY :disco:

Slow start, I was sure there'd be plenty of appetite after my success at ASFM last night* :eyes:

*Top 20 :kim:

50-46:

50. Tei Shi - Die 4 Ur Love - Shout out to @Jark The Herald Angels Sing and @funky for this recommendation. There's something quite 90s about the whole affair, and I'm living for it. I know you whores love a few of her other trax, but his is absolutely the keeper from the EP for me.

49. Ariana Grande - pov - I'm not really sure if 2020 was a successful year for Ariana or not. She kind of continued to sit in the same lane that's she been in for a while now, other than those two very important features with Mariah and Gaga. More on one of them later. This song is the highlight of the last album for me, and really shows just what an incredible voice she has though. Although it won’t be for everyone.

48. Ward Thomas - Sweet Time - God take me back to the late summer when the sun was still shining and I could go on a bike ride listening to this song. @dUb Actually 's fave were back and better than ever.

47. Taylor Swift - the 1 - I remember listening to this album for the very first time cycling back from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Everything seemed to merge in to one, and I wasn't really sure if it was for me. But after a few sittings, the whole album really started to show itself as a sublime piece work. Taylor, out of all of the posters of 2020, has had a phenomenal year and ends the year in a completely different space to the one she was in at the end of 2019.

46. Will Ferrell & My Marianne - Husavik (My Hometown) - Wow. Didn't this on paper sound absolute trash? I remember cringing as I sat down to watch the movie, but it surprised me. And the best thing about it, was that the songs were truly reflective of Eurovision and better than they had any right to be. My Hometown, and that vocal from Molly/My Marianne is an absolute moment. x

Last edited:
BECAUSE I'm feeling generous, here's the 45-41 as well:

45. Be Charlotte - Back to Life - Be Charlotte, from bonny Dundee, has had a couple of songs this year that hit my radar. And genuinely I think this is a brilliant little pop song. The song is totally elevated by her vocal, and hot scottish accent, and I don't really understand WHY it did quite so badly during ASFM but there we go - it's stuck around on my playlists for months.

44. Mandy Moore - I'd Rather Lose - Where's my @VoR at? It was a lovely surprise to have our dear old friend Mandy Moore back, with one of my favourite albums of the year. It's basically like Mandy has been bathing in Fleetwood Mac for the last 10 years and has come back with then pouring out of every pore. I know for a lot of people, you won't be able to get over the fact it's Mandy Moore, but for those that do give it a go - you won’t be disappointed.

43. Kylie - Real Groove - I thought this was a bit throwaway at first, but the Infinite Disco perf elevated it in my eyes and it's become a bit of favourite since then. If the rumours are true, and they better be or we'll lynch @Jark The Herald Angels Sing , then the Dua duet may even see this make an appearance next year too.

42. Steps - What The Future Holds - 'One foot in the past and one foot in the future' was the mantra for Steps' new album and it's nice to see them straddle the line between nostalgia and 2020 pop. This was a little underwhelming at first and took time to worm it's way in to my brain, but the release of the album and that extended version have solidified it as my 42nd biggest and best song of 2020.

41. Dua Lipa - Physical - This would be so much higher if it didn't suffer from overplay. It was pretty inescapable for months, and although I don't go near the album as much these days, it was brilliant to see Dua really make pop cool again as the other pop girls turned in different directions.

Last edited:
Great videos! When does the commentary kick in? :eyes:

Be Charlotte had a great Christmas thanks to all those royalties she made from you watching her video on ASFM x

Have you not had enough of me speaking? :eyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: dUb
No wonder Jark never completes a countdown, it'll be 16 years until I try this again

:kim:

can't believe you started posting on Moopy when you were 9 tbh :o no wonder you turned out so CORRUPTED!

yay Tei Shi! I do not know this Ward Thomas song but sounds great. ADDED TO QUEUE.

loving the format. it's like a Cw0j presentation but more concise and less cunty, and actually fun.

SDF proving his credentials as a future ASFM host with these videos

OMG HIYA @dUb Actually thanks for your feedback, I've taken it on board and wrote some shite about each song just for you xxx

Reactions: dUb
We've hit the TOP 40 loves :disco:

40-36:

40. Mae Muller - Dependent - 2020 was a great year for new pop girls on the scene. Mae Muller really did what we all wanted Carly Rae to be doing with the release of Dependent. A brilliant bubblegum pop affair, and would make a great ASFM entry one day. :eyes:

39. HYYTS - The Low Sound - Glasgow band HYYTS built on the strong offering they had with Bullet and debut EP last year with The Low Sound. I had picked Bullet for an ASFM entry earlier in the year but copped out at the last minute. The video for The Low Sound is my favourite of the entire year, and is definitely worth a watch for any Trainspotting fans. I also hear that @Suedey Baby is/was a fan. :disco:

38. Alicia Keys - Time Machine - I'm not really sure why Alicia's star has fallen so much over the last few years, you'd be forgiven for not knowing she was still around. Anyway, this year, she released a song written by Ed Sheeran (not on this list, don't panic) and Time Machine. The remix to this is the absolute TITS. Good job Alicia and the 5 gays who heard this song, I salute you.

37. Dagny - Come Over - This is pure pop at it's finest. Dagny has the makings of a very big pop star, and the nod to Carly Rae's greatest hits on her album sure got me going. I'm sure @Jark The Herald Angels Sing has something far more articulate to say about her, so go read his countdown.

36. Kylie - Say Something - Is it DISCO? No. But it sure as hell is a very, very good pop song. Say Something has really exposed itself to me (the dirty whore) during the album release. It definitely makes you sit up and listen and stands out in a pack of quite basic (HA) songs.

Last edited:
Loving the commentary!

omg is a certain TENNIS ANTHEM gunning for the top spot? :D

Reactions: SDF
We've hit the TOP 40 loves :disco:

40-36:

40. Mae Muller - Dependent - 2020 was a great year for new pop girls on the scene. Mae Muller really did what we all wanted Carly Rae to be doing with the release of Dependent. A brilliant bubblegum pop affair, and would make a great ASFM entry one day. :eyes:

39. HYYTS - The Low Sound - Glasgow band HYYTS built on the strong offering they had with Bullet and debut EP last year with The Low Sound. I had picked Bullet for an ASFM entry earlier in the year but copped out at the last minute. The video for The Low Sound is my favourite of the entire year, and is definitely worth a watch for any Trainspotting fans. I also hear that @Suedey Baby is/was a fan. :disco:

38. Alicia Keys - Time Machine - I'm not really sure why Alicia's star has fallen so much over the last few years, you'd be forgiven for not knowing she was still around. Anyway, this year, she released a song written by Ed Sheeran (not on this list, don't panic) and Time Machine. The remix to this is the absolute TITS. Good job to Alicia and the 5 gays who heard this song.

37. Dagny - Come Over - This is pure pop at it's finest. Dagny has the makings of a very big pop star, and the nod to Carly Rae's greatest hits on her album sure got me going. I'm sure @Jark The Herald Angels Sing has something far more articulate to say about her, so go read his countdown.

36. Kylie - Say Something - Is it DISCO? No. But it sure as hell is a very, very good pop song. Say Something has really exposed itself to me (the dirty whore) during the album. It definitely makes you sit up and listen and stands out in a pack of quite basic (HA) songs.

The Dagny song is very underrated, love it !

It’ll take me 40 minutes to type up some commentary so don’t scalp yourselves yet :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom