SDF's Top 50 Pop Songs of 2020 (4 Basics)

did you not like the sound of Mae Muller’s Dependent? If you like Dagny you might enjoy x
I’ll have a listen tomorrow! We’re watching Victoria Wood right now (cutting EDGE)

Oh I do forget some people have other things on these days :eyes::D

Mae Muller is brilliant, excellent choice.

can we get a full playlist at the end please, these teaser clips are nice but I want to listen to the lot

Reactions: SDF
And we finish the day off with the 35-31

35. Ellie Goulding - Power - Moopy Favourite Eleanor returned and to the delight of our dear friend @VoR her album soon tumbled down the charts. There is something about the chorus of Power that captured me from the moment I first heard the song, and boy was I surprised that it absolutely failed to take off. I know the album has it's fans, and while I agree its a bit of a return to form, there's nothing that matches this on there.

34. Meghan Trainor - Ashes - Another Moopy Favourite. :D Look, before you @ me, I find her pretty unlistenable the majority of the time as well. But this is clearly the best thing she has ever done. When that second verse hits and she sings I don't want to tell you goodbye, but I feel like I'm wasting my time the song kicks up a gear and it’s a joy to hear the bitterness grow across 3 minutes.

33. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights - Obviously 2020 pretty much belonged to the Weeknd. He is conceptual, but in the most tuneful of ways. Some of our other concept Queens should really take note. I'm looking at yew Beyonce.

32. Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande - Rain On Me - The anthem of Lockdown 1.0 for many gays around the world, I imagine, and of course this basic gay was also lapping it up. It was actually brilliant to see Gaga get a genuine hit, but also lovely to hear Ariana sing a big pop song again. Her voice suits these moments and it was lovely to see that they both showed up for this duet.

31. Sam Smith - To Die For - Sam Smith had a bit of a difficult year. They have struggled to find their lane, had a big diva album scrapped, delayed their album and changed the name of it after this flopped and COVID happened. This was an unjustified flop, it's a gorge song, and for once I think they use their voice well (without going in to Xtina levels of screechiness).

Last edited:
:D:side-eye:

Shallow wasn’t too long ago xxx

I mean, Shallow was huge but part of it’s success was surely down to the movie it was part of. I guess Rain On Me did have Ariana though. So I take you’re point. Thanks for your continued support at this difficult time xxx

Last edited:
I think people just mistake my nerdy obsessiveness about the ins and outs of music and politics for BLIND MALICE :D

I think people just mistake my nerdy obsessiveness about the ins and outs of music and politics for BLIND MALICE :D

that’s putting it politely :eyes::eyes:

I jest! Never change!

Right - caught up!

I've never heard of The Ward Sisters but they definitely look like my cup of tea. Will check them out.

@IguanMoreSleep and I are also big champions of Mandy Moore's latest album. Surprisingly great. I'd Rather Lose is also my pick from it, along with Trying My Best Los Angeles and the clumsily-titled Stories Reminding Myself of Me.

Alicia's new album is cohesive and I like it, but Here stuck with me much much more. I quite enjoy her being a bit more on the DL though.

Say Something and Rain on Me are WAY TOO LOW but I'll forgive you x

Ellie's Power doesn't do too much for me, neither did the album. It basically IS Dua Lipa isn't it? "Homage" as if!

The Weeknd goes from strength to strength for me. One of my favourite male voices.

Last edited:
ARE WE READY FOR MORE FUN?

30. Dua Lipa - Love Again - Why was this song not a single? The very first time I heard Future Nostalgia, this song SLAPPED ME HARD across the face and I kept coming back for more. As a nineties Queen, I stanned hard. I imagine it would be a lot higher had it actually had a full on release and been number one for 10 weeks. But here we are instead.

29. Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky - I feel like Miley Cyrus was supposed to be way bigger in 2019 than she actually was. As 2020 approached I was a bit worried about what direction she would go in. But I had no reason to worry. She was born to sing these songs and it's the most excited I've been about her since See You Again (@Penelope and @Suomi I like the rock maffia mix too, but the OG is still my girl). A grammy perf next year could see this reach the stratosphere.

28. Harry Styles - Adore You - On a recent podcast I was on (have you heard about it, if not speak to @dUb Actually for deets, k? :eyes: ) someone asked a question about the X Factor's legacy. Well, here he is. Harry Styles. Probably the biggest thing to ever come from the show AND one of 2020's biggest stars. I appreciate that his male vox won't be for all my Queens out there, but if you're able to get by cocks being for your arse and not your ears, you're in for a treat.

27. Alanis Morissette - Smiling (F9 Remix) - Oh how I enjoyed our sync listen to this album, and it was lovely to see her deliver a body of work that was actually 'quite good' (@Christmas Tisches ) . Further shout out to you and @IguanMoreSleep for playing this to me while I was chained up in your shed. This remix is FIYAH, if you've not heard it, what are you waiting for?

26. Melanie C - Blame It On Me - Okay I know that in the grand scheme of things Melanie C has probably made a fiver from this project but honestly the material she has released this year truly surpassed all expectations both critically and commercially. A real return to form, and the best thing she has done since Northern Star. Good job Mel, I promise to buy the vinyl one day. x

Can I just say how much I hate doing these write ups and it's clearly @dUb Actually getting his own back for my lack of quality control :eyes:

25-21:

25. VINCINT - Be Me - A song like this, sung by a gay man for a gay TV show, probably just wouldn't have existed 10 years ago. And I am so here for the gay pop melodrama of it all. I suspect a few eye rolls to this one, but it's got a HEART unlike some of you SWINES.

24. Lady Gaga - 911 - My favourite song from Chromatica, with one of her best videos in years (the twists!). Sadly Chromatica II didn't make the cut, but 2020 was the comeback of pop Gaga - and I was here for it, even if she sort of wasn't there for it all herself? xxx

23. Hanna Ferm - Sweet Temptation - WHY was this not a melodifestival entry and a global smash hit? It's phenomenal and such a banger. More appreciation for this type of Swedish pop - where are all the euro queens at (@Pingu @VoR @the rest of moopy)

22. Olivia Dean - Echo - This is easily one of my favourite soul songs of the year. She's probably not very well known around these parts but Olivia has been quietly releasing music all year and hit her stride with Echo. Along the lines of Lianne La Havas, so maybe more for the @dUb Actually 's and @cwej 's of the world.

21. Jackie Lipson - Someday - Oh this song is an absolute MOOD. Bursting on to the scene in February with this, her debut single, Jackie Lipson managed to score herself a bit of recognition on Spotify and has since went on to release an EP. It's a tune. Listen NOW!

Last edited:
Reactions: dUb
Brave was the GREATEST SONG OF ALL TIME (probably in my top ten for MF 2020)
tumblr_o1jdv5oHuB1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

That Vincint song is good! Especially considering its origins. I haven't watched QE in quite a while, I thought it was still popular? Why are the views so low

Yes the VINCINT song is pretty stellar considering it is for Queer Eye

LOVE his strong VOX

Last edited:
We're over half way through, and we've hit the top 20, who is still with me? :disco:

20. Ella Henderson - Take Care of You - X Factor alumni Ella Henderson had a good year, collaborating with both Sam Feldt and Roger Sanchez and having an uncredited feature on Lighter with KSI and Nathan Dawe. But it was her solo effort Take Care of You that won a special place in heart in 2020. This hasn't necessarily been a massive smash hit but the 18 million streams for this song on Spotify are nothing to be sniffed at either.

19. Donna Missal - Slow Motion - Oh Slow Motion. This is probably my favourite ballad of the year. I was optimistic when I submitted this for @IguanMoreSleep 's ASFM but alas it wasn't meant to be for our Donna. :( I hammered her album throughout the whole of the summer, but more on that later.

18. Romy - Lifetime - Romy of the XX released her debut single this year, after writing it during lockdown, and it's euro dance beat is absolutely to die for. She's promised more nods to the early noughties and I'm already laying flat on the floor.

17. Dr. Anna Bergendahl - Kingdom Come - What a joy this song is. It isn't quite Ashes to Ashes for me (which was an easy top 5 of 2019), but it absolutely is an awesome song and a strong addition to her Melodifestival entries. I'm not sure why she isn't doing it this coming year, are the hospitals overrun in Sweden? I'd clap for Anna. :(

16. The Chicks - Sleep At Night - OMG I was SO excited when The Chicks came back this year. I had a proper LOL when the album dropped and @VoR said he just didn't get it because he has never been a woman scorned before. Well hun, I have, and this song was almost like I wrote it. :D Thank you Natalie for making all of us bunny boilers out there feel a little bit better about ourselves xxx

Last edited:
Smiling F9 Remix - Yes I've heard this and love what they did with it! Can't wait to bang to it in a gay club one day. :eyes: I don't know if they've worked on Alanis since the magic that was the Uninvited cover, so this was really great to see. The remix packages of SPFITR have been a real delight.

Harry Styles - Still discovering and re-discovering this album after nearly a whole year. What a year it's been for him. Probably one of the biggest British men out there right now. Very exciting. Absolutely would smash.

Donna Missal - I think I overlooked this at the time of ASFM but it's been a Slow (Motion) grower and I've consumed the album a couple of times now and love it. Glad to hear more may be coming on the countdown

The Chicks - Sleep At Night is my favourite on the album! Soooo scornful (apparently?)

Keep 'em coming Sarah Dawn!

Oh that Chicks album really grew on me in the end :D

I might listen to it right now and think of all the posters who backstabbed me behind my back in the Admin elections.

I’m glad you’ve found a way to relate to the spiteful lyrics :disco::disco::disco:

Reactions: VoR
15-11

15. Delta Goodrem - Solid Gold (Initial Talk Remix) - If there was going to be one person you could have counted on showing up in this countdown it would be Delta. I have never understood the hatred towards her, if you wade through the ballads (if that's not your thing) she always has a banger or two in there each era. From Believe Again to Electric Storm to Wings and now this 80's remix of Solid Gold. It's fantastic and sits pretty as the only Delta entry in this countdown. It's also one of the gayest things released this year. Listen you witches.

14. Agnes - Fingers Crossed - For sure this is my favourite Agnes song now. I wasn't that big on the others but this really stood out from the crowd and it is fantastic to see that this has become a hit for her. The video is pretty special too, so give it a watch if you haven't seen it already.

13. Mariah Carey & Ms. Lauryn Hill - Save The Day - What a year to be a Lamb. We had MC30, the wonderful The Meaning of Mariah Carey and a new rarities album featuring this brand new track. I could blab on about Mariah all day long, but I'll save that for my nearest and dearest :eyes: just know that this is truly a tennis anthem for the ages and the lalalala's get me every time. Can I get a ahem @dUb Actually

12. Greyson Chance - Dancing Next to Me - Another artist I entered in to ASFM this year but with an entirely different sound. Greyson Chance was a semi-famous youtube child star and he came back a couple of years ago and this year released this absolute tune. It NEEDS to be danced to, so if you could stop spreading COVID, I'd really appreciate it. x

11. Jessie Ware - The Kill - Showing up on pretty much every homosexuals end of year charts is this woman. One of, if not, my favourite sync listens was to the new Jessie Ware album. The first time hearing some of these songs was absolutely amazing and I had a total buzz for it. The Kill was, and has continued to be, my favourite of the pack. It's dark and mysterious and leaves me wanting more every single time.

tennis anthem for the ages :D:D

AHEM TO THAT

Have they taken down the tennis video? I couldn't find it. I guess she would rather they went with the unofficial song for the electoral register.

TOP 10 BITCHES

10-6:

10. Harloe - Crush On You (Latroit & Pretty Garter Remix) - I was playing this song to my dear friend @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid (that evil mastermind, internet troll and password codebreaker @Suomi was maybe in the background too) and she said the vocal stylings on this song reminded her of Census Queen and Bi-Polar expert Brandy. I actually hadn't made that connection before but it's all I hear now. Brandy with a tune in 2020. WHO KNEW. This remix is amazing, it takes me back to the summer months, when I could meet one friend outside. What freedoms we had back then!

9. NOTD & Nina Nesbitt - Cry Dancing - The highest charting Scot on the countdown. :scotland::scotland::scotland: Truth be told, Nina Nesbitt has always sort of passed me by, but Cry Dancing is an absolute tune and if you've not heard it (or seen the video) then you must do these two things immediately.

8. Donna Missal - Hurt By You - @Christmas Tisches this one is for you bbz. Hurt By You really is the song I probably should have entered in to ASFM. I think it would have maybe landed a little better than Slow Motion. Plus there's also a bit more going on in the video. Anyway, Donna is probably of all the newly discovered artists I've found this year, my favourite. So even if Moopy don't like you Donna, I sure do.

7.The Mamas - Move - Highest charting Melodifestival/Eurovision related song comes from the Mamas. Move is infectious, fun, and straddles the line between sounding current and being true to who they are. A fantastic winner for Melodifestival and I look forward to the crushing disappointment next year. @Pingu get the tissues ready.

6. Lauren Alaina - Run - Okay this one is a @SDF only special (oh the narcissism in tagging yourself). Country music has a special place in my heart and Lauren Alaina currently reigns supreme. I seen her back in 2019, when going to gigs was a thing, and she blew me away. Her voice was incredible, her personality infectious (in the good way) and the country tunes were there too. If you do happen to like the sound of this one :eyes:, check out Getting Good and Road Less Travelled from previous years too.

Have they taken down the tennis video? I couldn't find it. I guess she would rather they went with the unofficial song for the electoral register.
This was the first post I saw and thought lovely he must have included a song by the wonderful Tennis. But I was wrong. A liberal use of the word hit for Agnes there but some good choices.

Crush On You (Latroit and Pretty Garter remix) is fabulous. can't say I've ever heard even the slightest bit of Brandy in it :D stellar pop tune though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom