Shakira - Don't Wait Up

OMG.

I shouldn't be excited because she's been inessential for so long now but Ian Kirkpatrick (Don't Start Now) producing and the long wait for new English material does have me slightly perched't.

I want something up there with her Don't You (Forget About Me) rip-off Chasing Shadows:

WHE EH EH, WHE EH EH

guys, this is the popstar that wrote Underneath Your Clothes and Ojos Asai. cannot believe.

This is one shake away from being Rebecca Black "Friday".

he 'chorus' does have fun production. Too bad it's missing lyrics/vocals/anything that requires talent.

It's not bad BUT, it's Shakira bad.

Listen, I'm down for whatever new music trends are happening right now especially if it's ironic throwbacks to the Pitbull/Kesha/Nicole Scherzinger sounds but she shouldn't be doing this at all, but then again this is any Shakira fan waiting for her to come up with something decent since 2013 -> 🤡

I'm sure the album will be a mixed bag as always; throwaway club bops like this one, heartfelt real-music inspired ballads about how much she loves her husband and kids sprinkled with token default Shakira collaborations with, perhaps, flavor of the month Rauw Alejandro.

anyway, I'm bopping to this basic mess.

Last edited:
That sorry excuse for a chorus.

oHQlEN8.gif

The autotune is so bad.

I do like the chorus though, in a basic party anthem kinda way. But it could've been used a lot more successfully, like the way "Work Bitch" did it.

It’s sad that songs are now recorded so that bits of them can fit nicely in 10-second TikTok videos, hoping that they can call it a ‘success’ after that because a teenager who has never heard of ‘Whenever Wherever’ can use it in their lame video depicting what cereal they eat for breakfast.

Very half-arsed attempt, although the video looks nice and she can dance well.

I love Shaki but this is wholly unnecessary. I get that she has to build on her international appeal with shit like this these days but there's only so much you can CHASE TRENDS before people stop caring.

I think the english speaking world stopped caring right after WAKA WAKA to be brutally honest.

I'll say that this summer I've been REDISCOVERING her 05-09 phase which I originally dismissed as the beginnings of her CUMBIA/REGGAETON era but I've forgotten how many SOLID tracks she delivered then in between all the silly bangers about being a bitch on heat or whatever. Oral Fixation is actually INCREDIBLE compared to this pile of SYNTHY SHIT.

I think the english speaking world stopped caring right after WAKA WAKA to be brutally honest.

I said international, not English :-) She's probably the biggest international artist in the world. Big in the Middle East, Russia, China... not particularly SMALL markets.

Whether this pile of crap appeals, I don't know though.

I'll say that this summer I've been REDISCOVERING her 05-09 phase which I originally dismissed as the beginnings of her CUMBIA/REGGAETON era but I've forgotten how many SOLID tracks she delivered then in between all the silly bangers about being a bitch on heat or whatever. Oral Fixation is actually INCREDIBLE compared to this pile of SYNTHY SHIT.

and even when she does REGGEATON she gets it right sometimes! La Tortura still SLAPS these days :disco:

Loca and Rabiosa though 🥴🥴

I love La Tortura :disco: She and Alejandro really SELL it. There's that live performance where he can't keep his eyes off her...

I think this is the one Shakira song that I can’t deny how AMAZING it is. It got me the first time I heard it and still has the same effect on me.
And it’s one of the very very few songs in Spanish that I have no aversion to.

I really don't get the hate for this online :D Internet gays are such whiney bitches.

I really like this, it's so unexpectedly MINIMAL. Most interesting thing I've heard from Shakira in YEARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom