Shania Twain - Up!

So! (What do you think of this album?)!!!!!

• Total voters
I was all Shania'd out by the time of this release having been a fan since the release of "The Woman in me" so this didn't get played as much as the other three albums. I'd have to give it a proper listen to rank the tracks properly but "I'm gonna getcha good" remains one of my fave tracks by her.

I love the sheer ridiculousness of "Up!":

Even my skin is acting WEIRD
I wish that I could grow a beard
then I could COVER UP MY SPOTS
Not play connect the DOTS.

:disco:

ohhh Vor you must be channeling me or something ... i was listening to this just the other day ... not as strong as come on over, tracks like i'm jealous and i ain't goin down can DO ONE but the rest is pretty good - thank you baby is the highlight though

5/10. Listenable but a total bore. It's pretty depressing to listen through it actually given that Come On Over was such a spectacular affair. I don't what to hear Shania preaching about money or morals on the likes of Ka-Ching or What A Way To Wanna Be. There are a few decent tracks - Waiter!, Thank You Baby, Up!, Nah!, When You Kiss Me and of course Getcha Good - but most of it is just majorly lacking in spark.

Last edited:
OH SHANIA :(

She just posed this long loony yet strangely sane letter on her website. The image of Shania Twain sat at a computer screen weeping uncontrollably is going to haunt my dreams tonight....

A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM SHANIA

Dear Friends,

I am so excited to be writing to you personally again after so long.

First I want to apologize for the delay in releasing new music. Music is the basis of our relationship, after all, and I realize I'm not holding up very well on my end of the relationship! But music has a mind of it's own, and is ruled by a writer's emotions and state of mind, not by a time frame or wishful thinking. I wish like crazy that I had new music by now since I dream of how fun it would be to see you all again out on tour with new songs to sing, but as most of you know, I have been side-tracked slightly over this past year.

The personal issues that took place just over a year ago have been well documented, and there’s no need to go into more detail here. Since then, I've been inspired by my pain to write and use writing as a therapy through the suffering. I truly wouldn't wish this on anybody as a means to get inspired, but it's been a productive period with so much emotion trying to find it's way out. However, there is no telling how long it will take me to actually finish these songs and record them so they can get out to you.

As many things as there have been to write about through this difficult time in my life, healing is serious business and has taken a lot of the wind out of my sails, slowing me down at times. As you know, I am a mom and all my energy goes to making sure my little man is healthy and happy in every way. This is a full time job, as any parent understands, but especially difficult when you are battling your own personal crisis at the same time while trying to spare your child of being affected by your own suffering.

One time when I was having a weak moment listening to some sad music and sobbing and slobbering over my computer’s keyboard, Eja walked up behind me and asked me why I was crying. He wasn't sad at first--just totally surprised to see his mom crying (he is seven and never saw me cry before), and didn't know what to make of it. During this intense period, I was managing to hide my devastation from Eja and cried only when I was alone; but this one time was just too hard for me to control and I broke down. I was quick on my feet to answer him though and told Eja that music was very powerful and can make people quite emotional. It can make you want to dance, feel angry, happy or sad and that THIS this song was sad and made me cry. He accepted this, hugged me and went back to what he was doing. Phew, that was tough!

The energy it has taken me to deal with my personal life and managing to still be a responsible parent has been challenging, and while I have been putting what energy I have left at the end of each day into my writing, it's been hard to put it all together into song format.

Please be patient and I will do my best to continue working on a finished album!

Each morning I put my son on the school bus, feed our two dogs Sony and Dolly, drink my orange juice and sit down at the computer to write. I spend most of my time working with lyrics right now, sorting thoughts, expressions and concepts. It often comes out in the form of poetry, diary notes or e-mails to friends. My friends are great listeners and are very patient and generous about it. I often go back to my e-mails for song ideas. When I write in letter form, I don't hold back. I just write it as it comes without considering format, topic, manners, etc. Some of my best songwriting ideas are coming this way.

Time has a way of making everything right, and it is my hope that good music will eventually come out of it. I say "good music” since I don't want to just throw anything at you, just for the sake of hurrying up to get it out. I want my new music to be something I'm personally satisfied with and proud to share with you.

I have friends and family around constantly coaxing me to focus on my music. "Your fans miss you. They want new music. It's been too long." They're all dying for something new too, so they are pretty relentless about it! I know you certainly all do deserve new music and tour dates; not only because it's been so long, but also because of the HUGE support you've all given me during this period. The many blogs and e-mails have warmed my heart, strengthened my confidence, given me courage, and have often even made me laugh out loud…in a good way! I know I am not alone and realize through your support that you are all routing for Eja and I, and our well-being. Thank you!

The other day I started writing a few pages about being hungry as a kid. Some of it was painful to think about but it also made me laugh at the funny times. Reflecting on that period of my life, I realize how true it really is to learn to take the good with the bad. To appreciate that you can't have one without the other. The trick is to give the "good" at least as much of your energy as the "bad" and not to get stuck focussing more on the "bad". I decided to start writing about other stages of my life to help take my focus off the current phase I'm going through. When I'm feeling down, I figured changing my focus to write about other periods of my PAST would help pull me out of the sadness and on to new chapters in my life. It works.

I will sign off now but I look forward to my next letter/blog to you. I just wanted to fill you in a bit on what's going on with me and music, as well as extend my thanks for all of the support that you have given me over this last year and for all these years; and to assure you that I'm fine and managing very well, in fact. I'm enjoying my child, friends and family like I haven't in years, and it's great. I've been experiencing and seeing new things every day, living life with a different and more optimistic attitude. I've jumped out of an airplane at 10,000 feet, I'm riding Spanish and Arabian horses, traveling to exotic places, I've been deep sea diving for the first time! I pull the odd all-nighter, read more books, listen to Eja's favourite music with him, LOUD [ironically his favourite band is ACDC] and basically I'm enjoying life.

Till next time, my friends. Be well, and peace and happiness to all of you.

Love,
Shania

I would just like to say that Forever And For Always is now my favourite Up! moment (hardly a big achievement mind you). It is SO GLORIOUS. I just had a total MOMENT with it.

I was wondering if I'd already mentioned that I love the Country version of Forever And For Always, but obviously I already had.

I would just like to say that Forever And For Always is now my favourite Up! moment (hardly a big achievement mind you). It is SO GLORIOUS. I just had a total MOMENT with it.
It's the standout for me along with It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing. I obviously like my Shania either mawkishly sentimental or mawkishly maudlin.

I've never heard any of the Country versions of Up! Are they any good? I was "lucky" enought to get the Bollywood double set... :zombie:

It's the standout for me along with It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing. I obviously like my Shania either mawkishly sentimental or mawkishly maudlin.

I've never heard any of the Country versions of Up! Are they any good? I was "lucky" enought to get the Bollywood double set... :zombie:

I think I only listened to most of them once, and wasn't particularly impressed by any of the others.

Have just found it - hardly a radical reinvention but I suppose that's no real surprise. Quite nice though... I'll give my favourites a proper spin later.

I never understood those three different editions - felt somewhat pointless and a crap marketing gimmick. It was almost like she had so little faith in the original versions that they were introduced in different styles in an attempt to maximize public appeal.

As for the album itself, I enjoyed it at the time (when I was but an innocent 18 year old) but it's aged terribly. "Gonna Getcha Good" (still have the looped version in my head from when I once tried to download it off the net) sounded like a rejected "Come On Over" track whilst the follow-up singles seemed to flow in one ear and out the other. To her credit, she never abandoned this project and the album saw it's fair share of releases, most of which performed far better than they really should (does anyone actually remember "Forever and For Always"? I barely do!). It's just a shame tracks like "Ka-ching" were so hypocritical; highlighting greed in this world when Shania was clearly pulling all the strings to make as much dosh as possible!

I've just finished the Green version and it really is minimally different to the Red one - at least with the Blue one you get the comedy bontempi Bollywood stylings inappropriately slapped over every single song :D

I really don't like Shania much at all so I don't know why I bothered playing this all the way through. The odd track here and there are fine but a full album... NAH (:eyes:)

I only listen to the country versions of her albums. Much more joyous instrumentation.

In a BIZARRE twist, Shania has now remarried......the man who's ex-wife stole her ex-husband :D

her website has been remade, so maybe new music is on its way??

For such a gorgeous woman she does pick some munters

Wedding2.jpg

It's all VERY Carla/Peter/Leanne/Nick Corrie love square-esque :D

He's alright actually. Better than MUNTING MUTT. And he's younger than her. WELL DONE SHANIA

Shania-Twain-Frederic-350x350.jpg

In a BIZARRE twist, Shania has now remarried......the man who's ex-wife stole her ex-husband :D
How fabulously country :D

I think a new album would do massive things for her at this point, especially since the country market is as thriving as ever and she pretty much was the original T-Swift, but I don't know if there is much hope for a new studio album, it's been almost a DECADE since 'Up!'

She's still looking pretty HOT as well :o

Anyway, "Up!" was DIRE and I don't hold my breath for much better in the future.

Oh I'd forgotten that this existed, it was very drawn out but I have an urge to put it on right NOW, then have a go at a few of the shitty Bollywood versions. There were actually one or two I REALLY LIKED as I recall in a "Me Against The Music" Rishi Rich remix kind of way.

"Thank You Baby" is her crowning moment for me. There were some proper gems hidden away on this.

Also is "Ka Ching" really her making some kind of statement on GREED? I thought it was just fun nonsense and I refuse to believe anything else of her. It's not like she's EVER done a "serious commentary" type of song before :D

God I miss this bitch more than I should now

Aww, I really like Up! I've only had it a few months. It's twee, it's brainless, it could easily be just another leg of Come on Over, but I wasn't expecting any more. My favourite is probably Up! (the song). It gets me going!

The "World Version" is so shit though. I've only listened to it once, and never again!

I actually find the Pop version of Forever and For Always a total snooze while I love the middleeastern world version of it. :o

As for the album in its entirety, it'd be great if there was some editing, the filler is really really fillerish, I mean things like 'Juanita' really should have been left as a bonus track on the sixth single or something.

I remember reading an interview with Shania where she revealed that she writes 'dark, introspective, very personal lyrics' in her spare time, but never allows anyone, not even her husband (at the time) to read them.

I love this about her. I like to imagine she's a right PSYCHO deep down. :D

I actually find the Pop version of Forever and For Always a total snooze while I love the middleeastern world version of it. :o

This is precisely the song I was thinking of that sounds so much better with cheap middle eastern beats over it. Not as good as I remember but still an improvement :D Juanita sounds drastically improved too, if it's possible. The whole thing feels very Eurovision 2002-2005, I almost expect "Touch My Fire" to pop up among this cut and paste job

I think my rating was FAR too high, there is quite a bit of shit on this, also the tracklisting seems entirely random aside from "Up!", most of the better songs are in the second half!

She should have released this instead of the dreary ballad version :D

Words cannot express how much I adore Shania as an artiste and as a beautiful person

When is she back to SLAY Gaga and Rihanna?

I’m having a reminder of this album. Christ it’s long, some of these tracks arent even good enough to be filler, I want to slam dunk them in a toilet.

I think there’s a decent follow-up 10 track album in there and the singles still stand up

I can't remember them all (but these are Country cannonball classics)!

10 I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
10 (Wanna Get To Know You) That Good!
10 Thank You Baby! (For Making Someday Come So Soon)
10 Waiter! Bring Me Water!
10 What A Way To Wanna Be!

Is it possible she'll ever be able to sing well again? It absolutely broke my heart to hear her attempt You're Still the One at that awards show. And all because of a mosquito carrying the "stop you from singing" virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom