Sheena’s Delayed First Listen Disco Party

Can you set the scene? Are you listening on your barely marbled marbled vinyl?

Can you set the scene? Are you listening on your barely marbled marbled vinyl?

I'm two glasses of SAUV in, I've had a FUCKING SHITTY WEEK/DAY and I'm going in on NOT MARBLED VINYL WHATSOEVER whilst looking out at the QUITE black right now sea. HI @Rachey !

Well I’ve started playing it (for the thousandth time) even if no one else has!

Magic

Let's get this out of the way, before we start JOKING ABOUT IT ALL. Magic ain't REMOTELY disco. Hints of disco, definitely Disco. But it's grown on me a lot- I find myself singing it in the shower. I think it will eventually end up a Kylie classic in the way Into The Blue or Get Outta My Way are- not TOP DRAWER essential, but there nonetheless.

It also reminds me of one of my best friends, who works for Magic FM. Which also makes me think it was rather a CRASS attempt at getting them onside, considering her close relationship with them, even pre-Disco. I don't mind, the song is good enough not to care.

I feel similarly. Magic will eventually get my 10. The derivative sound just slightly sets it back for me.

I love the outro of Magic, BY THE WAY. That instrumental bit works so well.

Miss A Thing

There should be more filter on the intro. Her voice is ridiculously processed on this as well.

I'd have quite liked a disco version of the Aerosmith classic, but this'll do. What do the verses remind me of? They're more interesting than the chorus. Ooh, the "Dance, dance, dance like no one is watching" bit is fun.

I've just looked up the track listings. I have to say, there's a missed opportunity for a Donna Summer-style, one side of vinyl, 18 minute DISCO SUITE :disco:

I've just looked up the track listings. I have to say, there's a missed opportunity for a Donna Summer-style, one side of vinyl, 18 minute DISCO SUITE :disco:

I asked her this in the listening party. She ignored the question.

Reactions: dUb
Real Groove

This is the one everyone's spunking over, right? I remember it from Infinite Disco.

LOVE the chorus, the way it goes progressively more and more MINOR KEY. The strongest of the three tracks so far for sure.

Monday Blues

Hmm. A definite come down after the last three tracks and an obvious bit of album filler.

Watch her release it as a single.

I don’t hate Monday Blues but its position in the tracklisting is jarring.

Oh the abrupt ending is fun, though. Probably because it made it end. Quickly.

Can I just say, by the way, I love the fact she's popped a lyric sheet in but that the inner sleeves themselves are artwork too :disco:

Supernova

WOW! This is the first instant 10/10 for me. This is FABULOUS! Though I am annoyed I misheard:

The way you got me, I'm on my way to your dimension

As

...I'm on my way to your delusion

Which would have been SO MUCH MORE FUN.

This is MAGNIFICENT!

Say Something

Which we already know and love. This remains one of the best Kylie singles in recent memory. Yes, the ending is WRONG, but the SHEER FUCKING NERVE of that short, basically non existent chorus. I also love the bit before the second pre-chorus where all the music drops out :disco:

10/10- so much to love

Say Something works so much better on the album than it did as a single for me (pre-transcendent PERF anyway). such a breath of fresh air.

in being one of the least deliberately "disco" songs on the album it actually explores a more interesting sound than a lot of the songs around it. you can kind of hear that it was the first song made for this album - nothing is being overthought.

I really thought the intro to Last Chance was going to launch into "WOH OH OH...COME FILL MY GLASS UP JUST A LITTLE MORE" but sadly not.

Having said that, the fucking chorus! Yes, it's Voulez Vous, but if you're going to rip someone off for an album called Disco, it's not a BAD PLACE TO START. The LAST CHANCEs are RELENTLESS!

if she can make your favourite Kylie song 33 years into her career, @Eddie, I see no reason why it couldn't yet be surpassed :eyes:

Last Chance has grown on me a lot. the chorus is infectious and the middle 8 is a total groove. but the production feels a bit flat and shrill, not rich at all, which is a shame. it's nearly there.

I Love It

I Love It would have been an (admittedly quite good) Kylie b-side in the early 90s. I can't believe it was a (semi) single/ grat track. It's ALRIGHT but nothing more.

The Infinite Disco vocal for I Love It was so much better. That is the only thing holding this song back for me.

I must have listened to I Love It a good five times today. what an absolutely DELIGHTFUL SONG! in bringing down the tempo and dialling back the Saturday Night Fever enthusiasm a bit the song finds a much easier, looser disco rhythm than a few of the earlier tracks. and the production is superb! it feels like a grown up but slightly slutty sister to Please Stay. j'adore :disco:

In NOT MUCH FUN news, the second disc of my NOT VERY MARBLED EDITION appears to be QUITE WARPED :evil:

I must have listened to I Love It a good five times today. what an absolutely DELIGHTFUL SONG! in bringing down the tempo and dialling back the Saturday Night Fever enthusiasm a bit the song finds a much easier, looser disco rhythm than a few of the earlier tracks. and the production is superb! it feels like a grown up but slightly slutty sister to Please Stay. j'adore :disco:

It’s the most evocative (together with Miss a Thing) of full on 70s disco for me.

NO to the Please Stay comparison though. :zombie:

Where Does The DJ Go?

Again, I like this, but it sounds a bit CHEAP, like a b-side basically. Catchy but a definite step down from the earlier tracks still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom